Strange Connection Problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have been running WHS for a year or so with no problems it’s a great product. I have a Main PC, a laptop, a netbook that connect either wired or wirelessly on the same router and a remote PC that’s connects over a VPN, all using xp pro, all worked fine. Recently my main PC connected to the same router shows the WHS icon in the system tray as grey, ie no connection, so no backups get performed. However if you click connect to WHS console from that icon the login screen comes up and yes I can connect but the icon stays grey.

I have re installed the connection software and that resolves the problem until the next reboot of the machine when it reverts to not seeing the WHS. Although it can be ping’d and connected to from that machine.

I have check all of the network, nothing has changed..

I can access the shared folders on the server, directly as this is where the connection software is installed from.

I can ping the server

I have run the connection trouble-shooter which originally gave me an error that the machines were not on the same subnet which clearly they are? The results it gives now are the standard network issues all of which I have checked and are all as you specify.

Any ideas?
    Jason

Thursday, December 31, 2009 10:27 AM

Answers

• I have been running WHS for a year or so with no problems it’s a great product. I have a Main PC, a laptop, a netbook that connect either wired or wirelessly on the same router and a remote PC that’s connects over a VPN, all using xp pro, all worked fine. Recently my main PC connected to the same router shows the WHS icon in the system tray as grey, ie no connection, so no backups get performed. However if you click connect to WHS console from that icon the login screen comes up and yes I can connect but the icon stays grey.

I have re installed the connection software and that resolves the problem until the next reboot of the machine when it reverts to not seeing the WHS. Although it can be ping’d and connected to from that machine.

I can access the shared folders on the server, directly as this is where the connection software is installed from.

I can ping the server

I have run the connection trouble-shooter which originally gave me an error that the machines were not on the same subnet which clearly they are? The results it gives now are the standard network issues all of which I have checked and are all as you specify.

Any ideas?
    Jason

Are you able to successfully ping the server, both by name and by IP address?  Do you have more than one network adapter (either real or virtual due to VPN)?  Can you run ipconfig /all from a command prompt on the client, then post the results here?  Also, do you have any security software on your client or server that might be blocking communications?
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 4:30 PM

All replies

• I have noticed much the same thing with my windows 7 machine as access to my WHS server.  I can see everything on file shares, but the console icon stays grey.  The only solution I have seen is to have the server running before my other machines.  Every time I start up in that order all is fine and the icon is green again.

Hope this helps and Happy New Year,
    Mike
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 7:25 PM

I can ping the server

Any ideas?
    Jason

Are you able to successfully ping the server, both by name and by IP address?  Do you have more than one network adapter (either real or virtual due to VPN)?  Can you run ipconfig /all from a command prompt on the client, then post the results here?  Also, do you have any security software on your client or server that might be blocking communications?
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 4:30 PM