No jeans, Pune IT firms want dress code for employees RRS feed

• Question

• Pune Enforcing dressing sense seems to be infectious. First it was college students, then university teachers and now the cutting edge of India's new economy the IT sector that wants to put employees in a straight jacket.

They are the faces of India's arsenal of hi-tech software and outsourcing industry but within the industry they are now being seen as weapons of mass distraction. So much so that IT companies in Pune have now put out new dress codes.

No jeans, no high heels and no accessories. The companies say its put their best face forward.

NASSCOM Vice-Chairman Ganesh Naatrajan says, “If our clients want our employees to look professional and if they want them to wear suits from Monday to Thursday, then we will follow it."

The usual dress code is formal between Monday and Thursday, and casual for Fridays. Most employees and companies had a relaxed approach to the code but this has now changed.

Saurav Anand an IT engineer from Pune says, "We are suppose to wear ties on Monday and Tuesdays and we are suppose to wear black leather shoes sometimes guys don't wear ties so sometimes we are asked to stop at the gate first wear the ties and then get in."

The tightening of the code also comes after some employees themselves complained about others dressing in a way what they considered unacceptable and distracting.

Bijal Tanbusaria who is an IT professional says, “Especially girls go out of their way and wear clothes that are not meant to be worn at all. I really feel as a girl. I feel uncomfortable. I don't know about guys. "

IT companies have begun to take strict action against those who flout dress codes. In some companies if one is seen wearing jeans and shirt on a formal day, the employee will be asked to go back home from the main gate.

While IT professionals get used to the new rules, it is still unclear what exactly a distracting style of dressing means, which can be very subjective and whether the rules will intrude into the freedom and individuality of employees

Saturday, October 27, 2007 10:24 AM

All replies

• Oh..thats bad....
    Saturday, October 27, 2007 11:01 AM
  • ya....really bad news...not only pune...in chennai too it's happening
    Sunday, October 28, 2007 2:50 AM
  • really a bad news.....

Sunday, October 28, 2007 8:38 AM
  • I personally feel its a infringement on the freedom of the person. A person knows what he/she should wear . It amounts to dictatorship to enforce a dress code.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 4:35 PM