none
Windows recovery console - fixing 0x80004005 error RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, before I ask anything, I want to point out that I'm a total moron when it comes to doing anything in command prompt.

Anyway, I got the 0x80004005 error code when trying to boot windows before and I tracked down the problem on one of Microsoft's support pages. ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306081 )

Anyway.. I've been following the steps exactly as explained but have come to a snag and I need some help/advise.

Step #5 says:
    Type cd %SystemRoot%\System32, and then press ENTER.

Ok, so I type that exactly (cd %SystemRoot%\System32), but then I get a response: "The system cannot find the file or directory specified."

Now, after noticing the prompt says "C:\WINDOWS," I think to myself "System32 is in that folder." So, I did this: I used the same command as above (in red) but removed the "%SystemRoot%." When I entered that, it let me access System32.

I don't know if I was supposed to do that or not, and I'm afraid to do anything else now.

Help on step 5 would be appreciated.
    ---

Now, after looking at the next step (step 6), I am confused again.

Step #6 says:
    Rename the following files by using the REN command. To do so, follow this syntax:
    REN file_name.extension file_name.old
    • Wpa.dbl
    • Pidgen.dll
    • Actshell.html
    • Licdll.dll
    • Regwizc.dll
    • Licwmi.dll
    • Wpabaln.exe
    I can understand the syntax and what it is asking me to do, but I just don't know any specifics (if any is needed.) It says to rename each file. What does that mean exactly?
    Are the names of those files somehow changed and I have to change them to what they are listed?
    Is it asking me to simply rename those files to something different? If so, then what?

Some clarification on this step is what I'm asking.

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 12:07 AM

Answers

• Thank you for keeping us in the loop. We are glad you are operational again :-)

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, March 26, 2009 5:37 PM
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 5:36 PM

All replies

• Morning R315r4zOr,

Thank you for posting in the WGA Forum. First please run the the MGA Diagnostic Tool as outlined in the sticky post located at http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindowsxp/thread/c2be4a37-9ac3-4674-9b30-08fdc9b99dd8.  Next provide us with the MGA results. This will allow us to analyze what you are experiencing so we may formulate steps for resolving the problem.  The KB article you cited appears to be "error message when you install Windows XP". Curious were you attempting to install Windows or had Windows already been installed on your computer for some time?

Thank you

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 4:13 PM
  • That's the thing though, what this error is reporting is that it can't accurately check my product key (or something..) and wont let me log onto windows. I can't run any programs or tools if I can't log into windows (I'm posting this from another computer)

However, I did some internet searches on some of the terms the instructions I posted above included and I learned enough to understand what I needed to do.

(For example: "%SystemRoot%" is a variable that just represents my "C:/WINDOWS" folder. And that step 6 is asking me to rename them to ".old" extensions, not rename the file.)

So I managed to fix it myself, so I no longer need help. Thanks for the support anyway.
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 4:47 PM
  • Thank you for keeping us in the loop. We are glad you are operational again :-)

Stephen
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, March 26, 2009 5:37 PM
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 5:36 PM