WHS Installation Hurdle RRS feed

• Question

• New installation - System is set to BOOT from CD-ROM (Which is also a DVD). The DVD installation disc is inserted in the optical drive, mind you i just found out it's OEM, not sure if that makes a difference. I turn the system on, I get the "press any key to start install" and so I do; and the screen stops i get a few happy faces and some for of LEEK speak typing going on, with 3 -4 rows of OKOKOKOKOKOKOK at the bottom of the screen.

Any thoughts would be more than welcomed. I called Microsoft without much help!

Thanks,
    Marc
    Monday, April 20, 2009 11:10 PM

Answers

• Long Story ..short!!! I tried booting on another machine and presto!!! Magic..it worked.

Also for the record, on the machine I was experiencing this difficulty I was able to BOOT my XP pro installation disk; and not too mention and old Windows 2000 server disk.

It's obvious that it was an issue with the machine itself, but what it was is a mystery...??

Thanks you both for your advice,
    Marcus
    Canadian raised and bread. (joke intended)
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 10:44 PM

All replies

• New installation - System is set to BOOT from CD-ROM (Which is also a DVD). The DVD installation disc is inserted in the optical drive, mind you i just found out it's OEM, not sure if that makes a difference.

No it doesn't.

I turn the system on, I get the "press any key to start install" and so I do; and the screen stops i get a few happy faces and some for of LEEK speak typing going on, with 3 -4 rows of OKOKOKOKOKOKOK at the bottom of the screen.

Any thoughts would be more than welcomed. I called Microsoft without much help!

Thanks,
    Marc
    Is that exactly what it says?  If so, can you post a pic on a photo website, then post the link to it here?  If not, can you please copy the message exactly as it appears and then post it here?
    Monday, April 20, 2009 11:35 PM
  • Smileys and other stuff on the screen during the installation process often have one of the following reasons:
    - a faulty DVD or DVD drive (or cabling)
    - faulty memory in the computer
    - the video card is broken or misadjusted in the slot on the board

(Other hardware issues like a faulty motherboard or a dust covered and therefore overheating CPU cannot be excluded.)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 6:33 AM
  • Long Story ..short!!! I tried booting on another machine and presto!!! Magic..it worked.

Also for the record, on the machine I was experiencing this difficulty I was able to BOOT my XP pro installation disk; and not too mention and old Windows 2000 server disk.

It's obvious that it was an issue with the machine itself, but what it was is a mystery...??

Thanks you both for your advice,
    Marcus
    Canadian raised and bread. (joke intended)
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 10:44 PM