Unauthorized Copy of Vista RRS feed

• Question

• I have a message in the lower right portion of my screen that says I'm using an unauthorized copy of Vista. Why? And how do I correct this. The windows I am using came with my computer and I have not copied to any other source.
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 10:27 PM

Answers

• Well, I hope the user can still find his thread considering how confused he must be after first being told he has posted in the wrong forum (twice) and then having his thread moved to two different forums (all over the course of 3 days). -sigh-

This is why I have the rule (in this forum) that when someone posts an Off-Topic thread, you either:

a) Inform the user of the correct forum to post his question.

or

b) Move the thread to the correct forum.

Not Both.

Doing both just confuses the user (and anyone else looking at the thread who doesn't notice the thread has been moved).

Darin MS

Thursday, October 27, 2011 10:32 PM
  • Leonard Dow:  If you are still having an issue, lets start from a clean slate.  Create a new thread, in this forum, and include a description of the issue as well as a Diagnostic Report (see Noel's post for instructions on how to generate the report).

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Friday, October 28, 2011 8:50 PM

All replies

• You'd better post this question in the Windows Vista Validation Issues Forum at the following address

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/genuinevista/threads

Anyway, did you recently perform any installation and/or modification after which the system notified your Windows copy is not authorized?

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award
    Sunday, October 23, 2011 6:25 PM
  • Unfortunately your post is off topic here, in the TechNet Site Feedback forum, because it is not Feedback about the TechNet Website or Subscription.

You may want to try asking your question at http://answers.microsoft.com, particularly in the Windows section.

For more information about where to post your question please see this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/tnfeedback/thread/24ee65e4-0f35-403c-9bf7-41333cd13cb5

Moving to off topic.       

Thanks,                 
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!
    Monday, October 24, 2011 3:14 PM
  • "Leonard Dow" wrote in message news:15f36055-7452-4a76-b609-d914169f0739...
    I have a message in the lower right portion of my screen that says I'm using an unauthorized copy of Vista. Why? And how do I correct this. The windows I am using came with my computer and I have not copied to any other source.

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
      - **in your own thread**, please

Please also state the Version and Edition of Windows quoted on your COA sticker (if you have one) on the case of your machine, but do NOT quote the Key on the sticker!

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 11:41 AM
  • Well, I hope the user can still find his thread considering how confused he must be after first being told he has posted in the wrong forum (twice) and then having his thread moved to two different forums (all over the course of 3 days). -sigh-

This is why I have the rule (in this forum) that when someone posts an Off-Topic thread, you either:

a) Inform the user of the correct forum to post his question.

or

b) Move the thread to the correct forum.

Not Both.

Doing both just confuses the user (and anyone else looking at the thread who doesn't notice the thread has been moved).

Darin MS

Thursday, October 27, 2011 10:32 PM
  • Leonard Dow:  If you are still having an issue, lets start from a clean slate.  Create a new thread, in this forum, and include a description of the issue as well as a Diagnostic Report (see Noel's post for instructions on how to generate the report).

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Friday, October 28, 2011 8:50 PM