Loosely stacking hard drives in the case... RRS feed

• Question

• Currently I have 10 drives in my WHS system, with 9 secured in 3 cages and 1 sitting on the bottom of case on top of silicon pads on each corner.  I am completely out of slots, and I need to add another drive or two and am trying to figure out a way without going the backplane route. (cheapest way possible).  I've searched for cheap drive cages that would accommodate more than 3 drives, somewhat like cages in backplanes, but I haven't found any.  My question is, is there any adverse affect to loosely stacking 4 drives in a cage that has room for it?  I can probably use silicon pads or something else in each corner of the drives to make space for airflow.  Heat build up would not be a problem since I have fans in front of the drives blowing on them.  I have Antec Nine Hundred case and drives seem like will not fall out since there are enough cables inside.  Any suggestions?

Thursday, June 19, 2008 6:11 PM

Answers

• drive vibration is probably the only thing that springs to mind. On a different system I had a 2 drives sitting on top of each other and never had any real problems.

Andrew

Thursday, June 19, 2008 6:22 PM
  • I, too, found no adverse effect using my "non-caged" drives as long as I positioned them so they were sufficiently ventilated.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 8:34 PM
  • As long as your case will not be bouncing around you will be OK.  Although what I would recommend would be to use some 3m Double sided sticky foam tape.  Cut about 1/8 to 1/4 in. and lay your drive on top of that.  I have several drives "hanging" around with that on them and it is also easy to remove when needed.
    Friday, June 20, 2008 5:13 AM

All replies

• drive vibration is probably the only thing that springs to mind. On a different system I had a 2 drives sitting on top of each other and never had any real problems.

Andrew

Thursday, June 19, 2008 6:22 PM
  • I, too, found no adverse effect using my "non-caged" drives as long as I positioned them so they were sufficiently ventilated.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 8:34 PM
  • Thanks.  I feel much better about doing it now.

Friday, June 20, 2008 3:48 AM
  • As long as your case will not be bouncing around you will be OK.  Although what I would recommend would be to use some 3m Double sided sticky foam tape.  Cut about 1/8 to 1/4 in. and lay your drive on top of that.  I have several drives "hanging" around with that on them and it is also easy to remove when needed.
    Friday, June 20, 2008 5:13 AM