WHS Connector Software for Vista 64-bit RRS feed

• Question

• Hello...

I am running Vista 64-bit & I have WHS EX470.  All was working well until approximately one year ago, when I could not log on to my server through the console.  I have my server connected via an Ethernet cable to a Linksys wireless router.  After nearly one year of troubleshooting this problem as my time permitted...I finally downloaded & ran WHS Connector software.  Unfortunately...the installation wizard informed me that it could not find my server.  The 'Health' button...on the far right of my server was flashing blue at that time; however...it cycles between flashing blue, red & purple.

Without my server...I am unable to back up my laptop & as time passes...I grow more concerned.  I have searched through these forums for MONTHS & have not found anyone w/a similar problem...therefore, please forgive me if my issue has been answered & I have overlooked it.

I eagerly await anyone who might be able to shed some light on my very perplexing issue.

Thank you!

Dana.

Saturday, March 12, 2011 1:41 AM

All replies

• Well since it's been a year you probably don't really care about what's stored on your server, at this point you should probably attempt a factory reset on your server which will put it back into the state it was when you got it:

You will need the Server Recovery Disc which came with your server, and a paperclip.

To start with, you must place the server into recovery mode. To do this, turn the server off. When you turn it back on, wait until the health light begins to alternate between blue and red. This only occurs for a few seconds while the server is booting. While it is alternating between those two colours, use your paper clip to press the reset button located next to the USB port on the front of the server.

On an EX470, the light should start to alternate between purple and red instead of blue and red once it's in recovery mode. (**NOTE** Sometimes it can be hard to see whether it's purple, all it is really doing is turning on the blue LED while the red is still on, so that it looks purple. So if you're viewing it from a weird angle, it may still look blue instead of purple.)

After you have done this, place the recovery disc into a PC on the same network as the server. This should start the recovery wizard. Progress through the wizard and it will begin searching for the server. As long as it is able to find the server in recovery mode, it will prompt you to perform either a server recovery or a factory reset.

Up to you at this point if you want to do a server recovery or factory reset, if you do a server recovery and it's succesful your server should get setup, and you should get access again to the data on your server, if you select Factory Reset it will wipe out everything on the server, and bring it back to factory defaults.

(I've never done this before myself, but these instructions also came with your server)

Saturday, March 12, 2011 10:01 PM