WHS Connector used to connect, but not since PP1 RRS feed

• Question

• Before installing PP1, I couldn't install WHS Connector on my laptop, because it wasn't able to find the WHS over wireless for some reason (checked all firewall settings, with no success)  But it worked fine on my desktop (plugged into the same switch as the WHS machine), which is what I cared about most.  Both machines are on the same subnet.

After upgrading to PP1, I tried installing WHS connector again on my laptop, and it worked, which was great.  However, a few days later, it stopped working on both machines, in a weird way.

1.  WHS system tray icon works on both machines.  However, it takes 10-20 minutes to go from grey to green after starting the WHS machine.

2.  I can access WHS shares via \\IPADDRESS\SHARENAME from both machines

3.  I can't access them via \\WHSNAME\SHARENAME anymore

4.  I can't access WHS Connector from either machine.  It says it can't connect to the server.

5.  I can remote desktop in to the WHS IP address and run WHS connector there.  It says everything is up-to-date and working fine.

The last time I changed any network settings or equipment on my network was a couple of months before I upgraded WHS to PP1.  There haven't been any changes or updates to my router/switch or machine firewalls.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 5:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you tried running 'Discovery.exe' from the Program Files - Windows Home Server folder, this will search your network for your server and reset the Connector settings.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 5:22 PM
  • aetherg said:

Before installing PP1, I couldn't install WHS Connector on my laptop, because it wasn't able to find the WHS over wireless for some reason (checked all firewall settings, with no success)  But it worked fine on my desktop (plugged into the same switch as the WHS machine), which is what I cared about most.  Both machines are on the same subnet.

After upgrading to PP1, I tried installing WHS connector again on my laptop, and it worked, which was great.  However, a few days later, it stopped working on both machines, in a weird way.

1.  WHS system tray icon works on both machines.  However, it takes 10-20 minutes to go from grey to green after starting the WHS machine.

2.  I can access WHS shares via \\IPADDRESS\SHARENAME from both machines

3.  I can't access them via \\WHSNAME\SHARENAME anymore

4.  I can't access WHS Connector from either machine.  It says it can't connect to the server.

5.  I can remote desktop in to the WHS IP address and run WHS connector there.  It says everything is up-to-date and working fine.

The last time I changed any network settings or equipment on my network was a couple of months before I upgraded WHS to PP1.  There haven't been any changes or updates to my router/switch or machine firewalls.

Have you tried pinging your server by name and by IP address?  If so, what happens?
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 5:22 PM
  • Discovery.exe finds the WHS on my desktop, prompts for the password, sets up backups, etc.  However, WHS Connector still says that it can't find the WHS machine.

On my laptop, Discovery.exe can't find the WHS anymore.  However, the system tray icon still works fine.

I can ping the IP but not the name.  I used to be able to ping the name back when I could access it via the name as well.

As an extra note, backups have continued working fine on both machines the entire time.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 5:36 PM
  • aetherg said:

Discovery.exe finds the WHS on my desktop, prompts for the password, sets up backups, etc.  However, WHS Connector still says that it can't find the WHS machine.

On my laptop, Discovery.exe can't find the WHS anymore.  However, the system tray icon still works fine.

I can ping the IP but not the name.  I used to be able to ping the name back when I could access it via the name as well.

As an extra note, backups have continued working fine on both machines the entire time.

Sounds like a DNS issue.  Can you type ipconfig /all on your PCs and post it here?  Also, have you ever modified the hosts file?
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 5:41 PM
  • Hi,

Have you worked through the Connector Troubleshooting document available from here? It could be worthwhile using it to check your firewall(s) on the Client and the server. Also, the ToolKit from the same place, could also help. Do note though, that you will need to read it's associated manual, as it isn't just a straightforward install.

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 5:44 PM