none
Web-Service interface... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I developed the open source „Community NNTP bridge“. During the development I found several problem with the existing Web-Service interface.

Here is my bug report, ordered by priority which should be solved in the future:

1.       If a article is moved to another forums, the NNTP-Index will be set to 0. This means that the bridge is not able to use this message. You can try it with your MS bridge the following article, which was moved and now has an article number of 0:
    GROUP Msdn.en-US.vcgeneral
    ARTICLE <c2547336-aeb1-4260-b2a4-1ce9a0f60731>
    See also: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/04ee089d-4f2e-4da4-91e9-ca4c01240fb9

2.       “GetAllForumNewsGroupsByBrand” does not always return all available  groups and it also returns some groups twice…

It would also be nice, if we could do the same thing like in the Web-Interface like:

-          Mark an article as “Propose Answer” or “Mark Answer”, “Unmark answer”, …

-          Edit an article

-          Change the Type of an article (Question / Discussion)

-          Apply the “HasCodeLabel” attribute

Will there be some development in the future?

On the other hand, I currently develop a alternative bridge, which does not use the server-generated article numbers. Therefor I use the following functions:

-          “GetAllForumsByBrand” and “GetForum”

-          “GetForumMessagesBrief” and “GetMessage”

-          “CreateReply” and “CreateQuestionThread”

With these methods I am able to display much more to the newsreader than just the article. I also create an NNTP-message if an article was marked as answer or if it was moved, edited or marked as answer.

But currently I do not get this info with the “GetForumMessagesBrief” command, which is very fast… I need to use he “GetMessage” for each message…

So: Is it possible to add an “GetForumMessages” method, which have exactly the same behavior as “GetForumMessagesBrief” but contains all the data for each message?

If such a function would exist, the alternative way of the bridge (with local generation of the NNTP message number) would be usable, because it would be mostly as fast as the currenty NNTP-Bridge and would provide much more features.

And in a long-term view, you can remove the NNTP-dependencies form your web-service / database which would make it easier for you to maintain your forums!

I can also sent you my source code of the alternative local-DB (SQL-CE) bridge, so you can take a deeper look into this…

It would be great if you could at least respond to this post, if you have seen it… maybe you can also respond to each points in the post…

Greetings

Jochen

Jochen Kalmbach (MVP VC++)
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 10:32 AM

All replies

• Hi!

I developed the open source „Community NNTP bridge“. During the development I found several problem with the existing Web-Service interface.

Here is my bug report, ordered by priority which should be solved in the future:
    Jochen:

A couple of comments:

1. You did not mention the other problem with the MS-generated messsage numbers, namely that they are not stable. A post may have one message number on one occasion, and then have a different number on a later occasion. This completely messes up readers that do not cache the actual messages.

While your idea of generating your own set of message numbers is attractive, would it not be good if Microsoft fixed the message number issue themselves? How hard could it really be?

2. When a post is requested by Message-ID (not message number), the web service requires the group to be specified. This should not be necessary, because Message-ID's are unique. More seriously, if the wrong group is specified (but with the correct brand) then the message will actually be found, but there is no signal that it was not found in the specified group. This results in the bridge returning an invalid message to the client.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, July 9, 2010 10:25 AM