Importing data to solution... RRS feed

• Question

• I have a solution which includes the Contact entity. I have also used the Contact template to input my data. When I import the data via Import Data, will it populate ALL instances of the Contacts entity, even in different solutions?
    Wednesday, August 6, 2014 2:33 PM

All replies

• Solutions all merge in CRM.  You only have one "Contact" entity in CRM, no matter how many solutions add things to the Contact entity as a whole.  The only way to make things solution-unique is to make custom entities.

You can half-way also make a custom form and custom attributes on an existing entity so it looks separate from core records, but the data technically still lives on the same Contact entity everyone else uses.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 3:14 PM
  • How can I delete the data that is currently in the Contacts entity?
    Wednesday, August 6, 2014 3:34 PM
  • Bulk Edit is likely the easiest way if you need to selectively delete only certain kinds of data.  If you need to delete entity data as a whole, look for the Bulk Delete process in CRM for the best way to handle mass deletion.

Exporting to Excel with Import also might be a good way to selectively remove data.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 3:38 PM
  • If you have imported data to the contact entity you can bulk delete as mentioned also you can goto imports, select the import job then click the delete icon and you are given the option to delete "All records Imported to This Entity During This Import".

regards,

Matt

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 3:45 PM
  • If I delete info out of Contacts, will it effect any other entities? If I remember correctly, I imported the data that is currently in Contacts came from exporting the data from an entity, modifying it as needed, saved as a different filename from the export, then imported.
    Wednesday, August 6, 2014 3:49 PM
  • Well, if there are any relationships to Contact, those relationships and lookups will be deleted as well.  Also, if you have any processes that execute on deletion of a Contact (unusual, but possible), those processes will run on every single contact you bulk-delete.

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 3:58 PM