How to backup up one laptop on two Home Servers in different locations RRS feed

• Question

• Sorry if this has already been covered, but the forum search is broke today!

My time is split between two locations, miles apart, and there will soon be a WHS at each location. Can I set up my laptop such that it is automatically backed up by the Home Server at whichever location I am at, without any interaction or change of set up on my part?
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 12:20 PM

Answers

• I would be almost sure it is not possible. You would have to run discovery.exe, which requires also the console password being entered.

Other than that I could imagine a script in the startup group, which checks for the location and depending from the result conditionally exports the current WHS related registry settings, deletes the reg key, imports the correct key for the location and reboots, if necessary (or restarts the WHS related services and apps).

With some knowledge (and if this method really works) this process could be automated.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by imabanana Friday, October 9, 2009 12:59 PM
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 2:28 PM
  • My time is split between two locations, miles apart, and there will soon be a WHS at each location. Can I set up my laptop such that it is automatically backed up by the Home Server at whichever location I am at, without any interaction or change of set up on my part?
    No. A client computer is joined to a particular server, and will only back up to that server. It's possible to join it to a different server, but that requires manual action on the part of the user (you). Normally, however, switching from one server to the other is easy: you just run C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\discovery.exe and your client computer can be joined to whatever server is detected (if you have multiple servers on the same network, you would be asked to pick one).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Friday, October 9, 2009 12:39 AM
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 6:40 PM

All replies

• I would be almost sure it is not possible. You would have to run discovery.exe, which requires also the console password being entered.

Other than that I could imagine a script in the startup group, which checks for the location and depending from the result conditionally exports the current WHS related registry settings, deletes the reg key, imports the correct key for the location and reboots, if necessary (or restarts the WHS related services and apps).

With some knowledge (and if this method really works) this process could be automated.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, October 8, 2009 2:28 PM
  • My time is split between two locations, miles apart, and there will soon be a WHS at each location. Can I set up my laptop such that it is automatically backed up by the Home Server at whichever location I am at, without any interaction or change of set up on my part?
    No. A client computer is joined to a particular server, and will only back up to that server. It's possible to join it to a different server, but that requires manual action on the part of the user (you). Normally, however, switching from one server to the other is easy: you just run C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\discovery.exe and your client computer can be joined to whatever server is detected (if you have multiple servers on the same network, you would be asked to pick one).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Friday, October 9, 2009 12:39 AM
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 6:40 PM
  • Thanks Olaf and Ken!

I'll run discovery.exe when I change locations. Usually I'm at one location or the other for at least a few days, so that's not too bad!
    Friday, October 9, 2009 12:56 PM