My Hard Drive failed where my original files were located, how do I reestablish my files locally? RRS feed

• Question

• I had all of my school documents saved to a local hard drive, then synced that folder to mesh. However, the local hard drive failed and the original folder that I synced is now completely lost. I have to go to mesh now to access these documents. How can I download all of the docs from mesh back to my local machine so that I can set up another sync on my new hard drive?

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 2:37 AM

Answers

• You have two choices.
    1. Download the files from the Live Desktop and place them in the folders you want. Then install Live Mesh on the new drive. The Live Desktop folders will be offered to that "new" PC in your Mesh. Remove the "old" PC from the Mesh, by the way. Below are the steps to associate these offered folders to the PC, to merge the Live Desktop folders with the existing folders on the PC and not the PC's desktop location.

Double clicking when it is faded light blue folder, brings you to a windows titled:

Synchronize folder

The text at the top of the window says "Synchronize folder with this computer."

The name cannot be changed/

The location is the path to your desktop folder.

Next to this is browse.

At the bottom of the Window is OK and Cancel.

OK accepts the default offered location - your desktop.

If you click OK, it will become a darker blue folder (still light blue) and it is now fixed to your desktop.

If you click Browse, you can navigate to a folder of your choosing.

Once you have reached that folder, click OK and accept the warning about merging with an existing folder and potential for conflicts.

Option 2.
    Same as option 1, but *skip* the steps to download the files manually. Simply install Live Mesh after removing the "old" PC from the Mesh at www.mesh.com and then follow the steps above to merge the offered folders on your desktop with existing folders on the PC. The Live Mesh client will sync the files down to the PC automatically.

Note that you really should have a local backup of any data in your Mesh folders since this is a Beta and data can be lost or corrupted in some rare cases.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 1:45 PM