Boot from Computer A, Do an Image Restore to Computer B? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

Would it be possible to boot the restore disk from machine A (Windows 7), and use the restore wizard to restore an image copy to a DIFFERENT computer (Machine B)?  After you sign in to the server, it does ask the question, "Select the computer you want to restore".  Why would I try this?  Because I get an unknown network error if I try it from the machine that needs to be restored.

Has anyone tried this?

Regards,

Rich Locus, Logicwurks, LLC

http://www.logicwurks.com

Sunday, September 29, 2013 5:41 PM

Answers

• You can only restore to a local disk, so you will need to remove the target disk from the computer you want to restore and temporarily connect it to the computer you're restoring on. When you perform the restore operation, be extremely careful you choose the correct disk to restore to.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by RichLocus Sunday, September 29, 2013 6:53 PM
    Sunday, September 29, 2013 6:24 PM

All replies

• You can only restore to a local disk, so you will need to remove the target disk from the computer you want to restore and temporarily connect it to the computer you're restoring on. When you perform the restore operation, be extremely careful you choose the correct disk to restore to.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by RichLocus Sunday, September 29, 2013 6:53 PM
    Sunday, September 29, 2013 6:24 PM
  • Ken:

That's a GREAT idea!!  I will just remove the Windows 7 disk from the machine and insert a blank disk to restore XP.  Since it's the only machine available, it's not a problem.

P.S.  It worked.  I still had to reboot my router and switch to get rid of the "unexpected error" message.

Regards,

Rich Locus, Logicwurks, LLC

http://www.logicwurks.com

• Edited by RichLocus Sunday, September 29, 2013 8:57 PM
    Sunday, September 29, 2013 6:54 PM