none
Cannot create a local database cache

Question

• I am currently trying to step through a basic ADO.Net Sync Services setup creating a Local Database Cache. I Select Add -> New Item in Visual Studio 2008, Select LocalDatabaseCache,  select AdventureWorks database from SQL Server 2008 SP1, select 3 tables to sync with, then press OK. The wizard generates some .SQL files and places them in my project, but then bombs out with a message saying "Incorrect Syntax Near '.'". I can't find any references to this issue on any forum, surely I can't be the only one experiencing this.

the issue goes away if I de-select the "Use SQL Server Change Tracking" checkbox, so it must have something to do with the new capabilities in SQL Server 2008, but I'm not sure why.

I am running Windows 7 64 bit, and I have tried both the x64 and x86 Sync Framework version, and both have the same problem. I currently have Sync Framework SDK 2.0 x86 installed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Senior Developer - Readify
    Monday, January 25, 2010 2:54 AM

Answers

• Hi there, well, I managed to find the bug....

using SQL Server Profiler, the last statement it tries to execute before failing is 

SELECT * FROM [Product]ion.[Product]

So, if the schema name contains part of the table name, then the wizard crashes with the error described above.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 11:00 PM

All replies

• Hello -

1. Would you mind profiling the TSQL executed on the SQL server while seeing the error message Incorrect Syntax Near '.' and present it?
    2. Which 3 tables were used in synchronization?
    3. Can you get the call stack while the sync failed?

Thanks.
    Leo Zhou ------ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 9:52 PM
    Answerer

using SQL Server Profiler, the last statement it tries to execute before failing is 

So, if the schema name contains part of the table name, then the wizard crashes with the error described above.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 11:00 PM
  • In the process of trying to track down this bug, I also found another bug in the wizard.

If you create a table like so in SQL Server

CREATE TABLE SyncTable
    (
    ID int IDENTITY(1, 1),
    FirstName nvarchar(50),
    LastName nvarchar(50),
    CONSTRAINT pk_ID PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED (ID ASC)  
    );

INSERT INTO SyncTable
    (FirstName,  LastName)
    VALUES
    ('Scott', 'Baldwin');

And then attempt to create a Local Database Cache, the wizard completes OK, but the generated code won't compile. I think it has something to do with the Table name "SyncTable".

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 11:42 PM

This is the EXACT problem that I was having!  What the heck!?

Thanks for the update!
    Saturday, March 06, 2010 2:11 PM
  • It seems such an obvious bug, I wonder if there is a plan to fix it?

I guess the easy work around is to ensure that you name your tables in such a way that this never occurs, but that's problematic if you are given your database schema from an existing system.

Sunday, March 07, 2010 12:31 AM