Windows Home Server Connector Software RRS feed

• Question

• I have just upgraded my motherboard in my windows home server to take advantage of sata drives.   I have reloaded the software from scratch, registered it and downloded all updates (97 of them). I have reconnected two laptops, one running XP and the other windows 7.   All went OK.   However when I try to reconnect my main PC (the one that realy needs to be backed up!),  via the "Windows Home Server Connector Software", the install crashes right at the end of install with the message "Home Server Discovery has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."   The only thing that is missing is the home server Icon in the open programs tray.   I can log onto the server from the computer via my network places, and if I log into the home server console from one of the laptops, it shows the main computer where I can configure its backups.   All my computers were connected correctly before I upgraded my motherboard.   I have tried both the Connector Software Disk and also took a copy of the Connector Software Directory directly from the home server.   Both have the same outcome.   Any Ideas?

If it makes any difference my main computer is an ASUS motherboard with an old single core AMD CPU running at 1.7GHz

Sunday, June 13, 2010 3:39 PM

All replies

• I have just upgraded my motherboard in my windows home server to take advantage of sata drives.   I have reloaded the software from scratch, registered it and downloded all updates (97 of them). I have reconnected two laptops, one running XP and the other windows 7.   All went OK.   However when I try to reconnect my main PC (the one that realy needs to be backed up!),  via the "Windows Home Server Connector Software", the install crashes right at the end of install with the message "Home Server Discovery has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."   The only thing that is missing is the home server Icon in the open programs tray.   I can log onto the server from the computer via my network places, and if I log into the home server console from one of the laptops, it shows the main computer where I can configure its backups.   All my computers were connected correctly before I upgraded my motherboard.   I have tried both the Connector Software Disk and also took a copy of the Connector Software Directory directly from the home server.   Both have the same outcome.   Any Ideas?

If it makes any difference my main computer is an ASUS motherboard with an old single core AMD CPU running at 1.7GHz

Can you successfully ping your server from that client, both by name and by IP address?  Can you establish a RDC from that client to the server desktop?
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 3:45 PM