Downloads from Bank Money 2005 UK RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running Money 2005 UK from the latest download including QFE having updated my computer to run Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit. Background services seem unavailable when I check for "new background online services". Select a financial institution leads to a message saying "the list is temporatrily unavailable". If I try Connect to bank from the Account List I can log in & get to the bank's download dialogue but on clicking nothing happens. Can someone help please, it's driving me mad doing all the manual inputs! When I first upgraded computers I inadvertently downloaded the Sunset US version of Money as I had lost my UK 2005 disc, I believe I've removed this but could that have caused any issues?  
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:25 PM

Answers

• Cal

Thanks.....worked perfectly.

Any idea how I can easily copy all my previous transactions account by account from my old Money file to my current one?

I am glad that worked. If you have your old file on the other computer, copy  the *mny file from your old computer to the Documents folder on the new computer. Make sure that has a different name from what you have worked on so far. That may be as far as you need to go. Just consider the actions you took with the new file to be an experiment. If this process does not work, there may be a version problem. If you got a bogus password error, for example, that could mean that your original file was somehow from a US version and you are trying to read it with with a UK version.

Then open Money by double-clicking that copied file with Windows Explorer. You can use that file going forward. Re-download anything that is not yet downloaded.

Now if you have had a considerable activity in two different files, then you would want to use loose QIF export from each account from the smaller file. The transactions would be in chronological order. You would edit each QIF file, if there is a significant overlap, to delete duplicated periods.

• Marked as answer by Phil Cornick Thursday, March 15, 2012 5:32 PM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 7:02 PM

All replies

• The fact that you can read your file after installing Money 2005 UK shows that you have the right version.

As far as I know, the only UK institution that did background statements (OFX server) was The Nationwide, and I don't think they do it any more. So to get statements from UK institutions, I expect you to need to use the web interface to get OFX, QFX(needs extra step), or QIF files from either an external browser or the browser built into Money.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:37 PM
  • The previous Money file has the "lightening"symbol for NatWest Bank in the page entitled Specify where your accounts are held. The new Money file created from scratch when I changed computer doesn't. I've tried downloading using the inbuilt browser into both files without any success. On NatWest's statement download page a drop down box lists a number of options e.g. csv, QIF for Quicken, Download to Microsoft Money OFX file etc. Choosing the latter all looks well with the Download Transactions Page appearing with the confirmation - Account(s) - All Available. Download Package - Microsoft Money (OFX file). Period - Last Week. When I click on the Download Transactions nothing happens. A search shows no files of OFX type on the computer. In the past I was automatically logged out of the bank connection as the download completed with the screen reverting to Money showing which accounts had received new transactions. Now after the failed download attempt I seem to have to log out from the bank manually. Any further thoughts?

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 12:22 PM
  • You are doing web access rather than "background".

In IE9, poke the Alt key momentarily to make the
    "File Edit View Favorites Tools Help" line appear if it is not already visible. Then un-tick
    Tools->InternetOptions->Advanced->[Security]DoNotSaveEncryptedPagesToDisk.

If you ever need to change the address that Money goes to  when you click onConnectToBank, goto AccountSettings for the account. Click UpdateContactInfoForThisBankOrBroker. Change the InternetAddress field.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 3:21 PM
  • Cal

Any idea how I can easily copy all my previous transactions account by account from my old Money file to my current one?

Regards

Phil

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 4:30 PM
  • Cal

I am glad that worked. If you have your old file on the other computer, copy  the *mny file from your old computer to the Documents folder on the new computer. Make sure that has a different name from what you have worked on so far. That may be as far as you need to go. Just consider the actions you took with the new file to be an experiment. If this process does not work, there may be a version problem. If you got a bogus password error, for example, that could mean that your original file was somehow from a US version and you are trying to read it with with a UK version.

Then open Money by double-clicking that copied file with Windows Explorer. You can use that file going forward. Re-download anything that is not yet downloaded.

Now if you have had a considerable activity in two different files, then you would want to use loose QIF export from each account from the smaller file. The transactions would be in chronological order. You would edit each QIF file, if there is a significant overlap, to delete duplicated periods.

• Marked as answer by Phil Cornick Thursday, March 15, 2012 5:32 PM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 7:02 PM
  • Thanks very much. All sorted with a minor adjustment for I assume duplicated transactions that I couldn't easily locate over more than 2000 entries......what a nightmare!

Regards

Phil

Thursday, March 15, 2012 5:35 PM