none
Please let SyncToy handle files with the same content but different dates RRS feed

• Question

• Here's the scenario:  I create a bunch of files on one machine and then create what I hope are the same files on another machine.  This might happen if I download pictures from a digital camera while traveling, and don't delete them from the camera; and then when I get home, I download everything again.

Once I've done this, I'd like to bring the two sets of files into sync -- and be informed as accurately as possible about synchronization problems.  If I do this with SyncToy today, it will report that all of the files in question are different from each other, because they have different dates.  This is true even if I check "compare file contents."

What I would really like is a new option that would work as follows:  If the file lengths are the same, it compares contents.  If the contents are the same, and the dates are different, SyncToy should create a new action named something like "Adjust Date."  The idea would be to change the date on the older of the two files to make it match the newer, thereby obviating the need to compare contents next time around.

I understand that this behavior would be pragmatically the same as copying the file.  However, in the scenario I am describing, I would expect lots of files to be "modified" in this way, with actual data being copied only if something goes wrong.  For that reason, it is important to be able to distinguish between files that are being copied because their contents differ and files that differ only by date.
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 3:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Andrew,

Thank you for reporting your scenario. I am going to let our devs know your issue.

But I hope you can understand that detecting change work is very complex. When SyncToy found file pair with the same content but different date, the devs need to make sure if there are other possibilities may cause the situation. So I am not sure if the fix can be finished and applied in a short time.

Current SyncToy does not support your scenario, although it allows user select “check file content” before detecting change. I have no idea how to work around your problem. Maybe you can place the pictures from your camera into an isolated folder so that they will not influence the other picture you want to sync.

Thanks

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, December 11, 2009 11:05 AM