Connector Software Install Error RRS feed

• Question

• I have tried everything I can find on these forums and I still can't get this thing working Ugggg sooooo frustrating. Here are the steps I have taken of which NONE work. This is obviously a common issue for Win7 x64 as there are many posts. This WAS working fine until a few days ago all of my PCs updated their connector software. Only this PC won't do it, the rest it works.

First the error:

The Windows Home Server 2011 Connector has encountered an expected error. Click Close to undo most of the changes that are made to this computer.

Steps I have tried to resolve:

Ensure server and PC time/date match: Done

Uninstall the Connector Software: Can't it doesn't show on uninstall list.

Remove all entries in registry: Check

Boot to Safe mode and delete the Windowss Server folder in Program Files: Done

Reinstall my copy of Win7 Ultimate: Done

Disabled Firewall: Done

Uninstalled and reinstalled .Net framework 4.0: Done

Monday, August 29, 2011 8:53 PM

Answers

• Just as an update for those who run into this problem only one thing would work for this. I had to remove the PC completely from the WHS and then readd it as a new PC. It sucks that this problem exists as that wipes out all old backups, but this was the only fix that worked.

• Marked as answer by Hansen_B Friday, January 13, 2012 1:30 PM
    Friday, January 13, 2012 1:29 PM

All replies

• The Windows Home Server 2011 Connector has encountered an expected error. Click Close to undo most of the changes that are made to this computer. 

A common reason for this problem could have been one that was fixed with the most recent update rolup for WHS 2011 (see for exampla http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/3941.aspx)

On the client, does the "Windows Media Center Receiver Service" show as "Started"?

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 10:21 PM
  • I followed all the steps for my error, or verified they were already that way. The Windows Media Center services are set to manual like the trouble shooting steps say it should be. Still refuses to install. It was the most recent update rollout that started this problem, it used to work fine. It went to install some update and it was trying to reinstall the connector software and it just won't.
    • Marked as answer by Hansen_B Friday, January 13, 2012 1:29 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Hansen_B Friday, January 13, 2012 1:30 PM
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 6:49 PM
  • Just as an update for those who run into this problem only one thing would work for this. I had to remove the PC completely from the WHS and then readd it as a new PC. It sucks that this problem exists as that wipes out all old backups, but this was the only fix that worked.

• Marked as answer by Hansen_B Friday, January 13, 2012 1:30 PM
    Friday, January 13, 2012 1:29 PM