Missing hard drive causing network problems? RRS feed

• Question

• I had a hard drive go missing (server says it failed), and a lot of other errors pop up. Backup database has errors, and multiple file conflicts. Are these errors normal when you lose a hard drive? And can I just remove the bad drive in the console and be ok? I am just worried why it cannot find some files that should have been duplicated.

The other large problem is that since that hard drive went, the server is very hard to connect to through any means. Connections time-out, or are VERY laggy if they work at all. Is this just bad timing, or more?
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:55 AM

Answers

• Flux02 said:

I had a hard drive go missing (server says it failed), and a lot of other errors pop up. Backup database has errors, and multiple file conflicts. Are these errors normal when you lose a hard drive?

Yep (until you fix the problem).

Flux02 said:

And can I just remove the bad drive in the console and be ok?  I am just worried why it cannot find some files that should have been duplicated.

What are the component numbers in the Console (Settings button, Resources tab)?

Flux02 said:

The other large problem is that since that hard drive went, the server is very hard to connect to through any means. Connections time-out, or are VERY laggy if they work at all. Is this just bad timing, or more?

• Marked as answer by Flux02 Friday, January 16, 2009 8:42 AM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:31 AM
  • Flux02 said:

as long as a faulty harddrive is still in the system (dependent from the damage level, even if it is gone from the console) it will cause the underlying OS ro try reading and fixing the drive. Especially with a low level CPU and a low amount of memory this may end up with a really busy server.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 7:31 AM
  • Hi,
    according to the version numbers your WHS is on the most current level, and removing the disk should work. If you had nonduplicated shared folders on it, they will be lost (although you can try to read the disk on another PC), and the backup database may be affected, if parts of it have been stored here.
    In this case (if a database repair does not help) it may make sense to delete all backups and start over.
    Olaf
    Friday, January 16, 2009 8:01 AM

All replies

• Flux02 said:

I had a hard drive go missing (server says it failed), and a lot of other errors pop up. Backup database has errors, and multiple file conflicts. Are these errors normal when you lose a hard drive?

Yep (until you fix the problem).

Flux02 said:

And can I just remove the bad drive in the console and be ok?  I am just worried why it cannot find some files that should have been duplicated.

Flux02 said:

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:31 AM
  • Flux02 said:

as long as a faulty harddrive is still in the system (dependent from the damage level, even if it is gone from the console) it will cause the underlying OS ro try reading and fixing the drive. Especially with a low level CPU and a low amount of memory this may end up with a really busy server.

Olaf
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 7:31 AM
  • kariya21 said:

Flux02 said:

I believe everything is up to date.
    The console numbers are:

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.24
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.24
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.24

Olaf Engelke said:

Olaf

That makes sense. So I should be able to just remove the hard drive and be fine it seems? (I have 6 in there now, so no issues of free space/not enough drives)

Thanks so much for the responses guys!

Friday, January 16, 2009 7:46 AM
  • Hi,
    according to the version numbers your WHS is on the most current level, and removing the disk should work. If you had nonduplicated shared folders on it, they will be lost (although you can try to read the disk on another PC), and the backup database may be affected, if parts of it have been stored here.
    In this case (if a database repair does not help) it may make sense to delete all backups and start over.
    Olaf
    Friday, January 16, 2009 8:01 AM
  • Flux02 said:

I had a hard drive go missing (server says it failed), and a lot of other errors pop up. Backup database has errors, and multiple file conflicts. Are these errors normal when you lose a hard drive? And can I just remove the bad drive in the console and be ok? I am just worried why it cannot find some files that should have been duplicated.

Was it a Seagate drive?  I put a post in the Hardware forum about a firmware problem with some Seagate drives.
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 8:24 PM