Configuring Multiple Inbound Phone Numbers on SIPLine RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know what the format is for configuring the SIPLine attribute to allow multiple incoming phone calls to a single user?  I've tried several formats:
    tel:+18115551234;extn=1234;tel:+18005551212;extn=1212
    tel:+18115551234;extn=1234,tel:+18005551212;extn=1212
    tel:+18115551234;extn=1234;+18005551212;extn=1212
    tel:+18115551234;extn=1234,+18005551212;extn=1212

Etc, but none will allow the second inbound number to ring to the phone.

Thanks,
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 4:02 AM

Answers

• Your only option is a workaround, for example - create a second user account with a different number and then configure the settings on that account to forward calls to the first user.  However, this may be tedious if you have a lot of accounts that need this configuration, just like it would be to configure this from the PBX.

Our SmartSIP product does this type of multi-number routing based on AD attributes.  Right now I have a 212 number and a 303 number because I recently moved.  Because SmartSIP is AD integrated all I had to do was put the new phone number in AD and it started routing to me.  This is independent of the tel URI.  The VX gateways from NET also have AD integration and may be able to do the same thing.

Mike Stacy | Evangelyze Communications | http://www.evangelyze.net/cs/blogs/mike
    • Marked as answer by Sugo Tuesday, October 20, 2009 2:01 AM
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 3:45 PM

All replies

• OCS does not support multiple numbers for one user.
    Mike Stacy | Evangelyze Communications | http://www.evangelyze.net/cs/blogs/mike
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 2:45 PM
  • I spoke to an OCS architect at a particular company (sorry can't say who) that said that they were doing this today.  I realize that it may not be supported but can we get it to work... doing work arounds like this usually get broken on the QFE or version I realize.  I'd like to see how we can get Microsoft to support more of these necessary features.

Thanks,
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 8:08 PM
  • Sugo,

Is there some reason you need 2 extensions for one user?  Could you possibly use a response group to enable the second number or is there functionality other than inbound calling you would like for the user?

-kp
    Kevin Peters MCSE/MCSA/MCTS/CCNA/Security+ blog: www.ocsguy.com
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 11:43 PM
  • Yes, the two main reasons that this is needed is:
    1) Users who are migrating from one EV enabled site to another, allows for a period of transistion w/o the need for spending money on PBX vendor resources
    2) Users who have 800 numbers assodiated to their phone line.  If we forward at the PBX in doing a translation this is not only expensive from a number management perspective but you would be making changes to systems that could outages for a broader set of people, additionally using up precious routes in the gateway for phone number translation.
    3) CDR perspective you aren't really able to report accurately the number of inbound calls for the DID number vs the 800 number (we don't have syslog captures from gateways completed yet to translate syslogs to CDR details).  Not only that but it is easier to keep the CDR tracking / reporting to a single platform rather than having to reconcile between two platforms.

RGS would also be a logical choice for this, however there are some reasons right now that this is not at my disposal.

Thanks,
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 1:47 AM
  • Your only option is a workaround, for example - create a second user account with a different number and then configure the settings on that account to forward calls to the first user.  However, this may be tedious if you have a lot of accounts that need this configuration, just like it would be to configure this from the PBX.

Our SmartSIP product does this type of multi-number routing based on AD attributes.  Right now I have a 212 number and a 303 number because I recently moved.  Because SmartSIP is AD integrated all I had to do was put the new phone number in AD and it started routing to me.  This is independent of the tel URI.  The VX gateways from NET also have AD integration and may be able to do the same thing.

• Marked as answer by Sugo Tuesday, October 20, 2009 2:01 AM
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 3:45 PM