(windows root)\system32\ntoskrnl.exc. RRS feed

• Question

• please advise how to fix this problem. i tried to restart my pc. but the message has stopped my pc. i do not have any windows cd
    • Moved by Ken Warren Monday, October 11, 2010 12:16 PM off topic for Windows Home Server forums (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Monday, October 11, 2010 12:10 AM

All replies

• Borrow a friends copy of whatever OS you are using
    You can use the Recovery Console on your Windows CD .

To start the computer and use the Recovery Console

From the Setup CD-ROM

Insert the Setup compact disc (CD) and restart the computer. If prompted, select any options required to boot from the CD.
    When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts; choose the repair or recover option by pressing R. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access from the Recovery Console. When prompted, type the Administrator password. At the system prompt, type Recovery Console commands; type help for a list of commands, or help commandname for help on a specific command.

Once at the command prompt, type in the following commands:

cd c:\windows\system32
    copy "..\driver cache\i386\ntoskrnl.exe"

cd c:\windows\system32
    copy "..\driver cache\i386\ntoskrnl.exe"

If prompted to overwite the existing file, type y and enter.

If you receive a file not found error, make sure that the path in the copy command is correct. If it is correct and you still receive the error,
    then try the following commands:
    <SCRIPT type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>
    cd "c:\windows\driver cache\i386"
    expand sp1.cab -F:ntoskrnl.exe c:\windows\system32

cd "c:\windows\driver cache\i386"
    expand sp1.cab -F:ntoskrnl.exe c:\windows\system32

Again, if you are prompted to overwrite the file, type y and then enter.

Also, if your OS is installed on a partition/drive other than C:, then replace any occurance of C: with the correct letter. (D: for example).

Replace any occurence of 'windows' with what is appropriate for your system. (winnt for example)

Reboot. Your system should start up normally.

Since all systems sold with an Operating System come with a way to restore the OS,you should have that ability
    Read the manual that came with your system and it will tell you which sequence to push on boot to access that.

peter

If you find a posting or message from me offensive,inappropriate
    or disruptive,please ignore it.
    If you dont know how to ignore a posting complain
    to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate :-)
    "jimmy7861" wrote in message news:16466b25-e053-41fe-ae43-a71ffe706458...
    please advise how to fix this problem. i tried to restart my pc. but the message has stopped my pc. i do not have any windows cd
    Monday, October 11, 2010 1:52 AM