Are you able to reuse WHS product key on new machine? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have bought the OEM system builder pack from my local computer store to install in a semi-new computer (custom). After a month, the motherboard went dead and i want to replace the whole computer. The question is, will i be able to reuse the same key and activate it on the new computer build? Will they give me a new key if i phone in and tell them its for one computer only, im basically upgrading the machine.

thanks in advance!

Friday, March 11, 2011 6:15 AM

All replies

• Most likely, you will have no problems.  Microsoft has been very generous in allowing the use of the same key.  You may have to use telephone activation, but many have the internet activation go through with no problems.

My original hardware died last year and I reinstalled on a totally new motherboard/NIC, the only things salvaged were the hard drives.  A server re-installation was offered that's what I proceeded with.  Internet activation went through just fine.  This was a server re-installation on a new motherboard, not a new install.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

I have bought the OEM system builder pack from my local computer store to install in a semi-new computer (custom). After a month, the motherboard went dead and i want to replace the whole computer. The question is, will i be able to reuse the same key and activate it on the new computer build? Will they give me a new key if i phone in and tell them its for one computer only, im basically upgrading the machine.

thanks in advance!

BullDawg
    Friday, March 11, 2011 8:25 AM