WHS Backup Fails (An Unknown error.....) RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to "Start a backup for the server"  I get a backup status of preparing then a few seconds later a pop-up saying "An unknown error prevented back from running.  Make sure that all servies on the server are running, and then try again".  I've tried rebooting etc and checked that the service "Windows Server Server Backup Services" is running.  I was trying to run a manual backup from the Dashboard as I've had a series of either Unsuccessful ("The system cannot find the file specified") or Incomplete (no msg) for the last two weeks.  I'm not sure what logs to look at in "Event Viewer" to track down what is wrong.

The objects targeted for backup on the WHS are are single 2TB HDD with the following partitions:

- System Reserved

- Operating System

- D: (the partition that holds the PC Client Backups)

Please let me know what other info I should be looking at.

Thanks

Nathan

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 6:19 AM

All replies

• FYI - I deleted the backup and reset it up (including formatting the target backup HDD).  It seemed to run fine but the I saw in the console the following conflicting msg, one say it was sucessful, the other it was incomplete.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 6:35 AM
  • Hi,

At first, we need to make sure that your WHS 2011 and clients are both up-to-date.

Then, on the WHS 2011 side, please run the following command in the PowerShell:

Get-Service | Where-Object {$_.name -like “*backup*”} | Format-Table -Autosize

You cannot use Windows Server Backup to back up file and folders on volumes that require more than 2040 GB (or 2 TB). However, as long as the data size is less than 2 TB, you can perform a file or folder backup. For example, you can back up 1.5 TB of data from a 3-TB volume. But, a full server or volume recovery using the backup will recreate a 2-TB volume instead of a 3-TB volume.

Only NTFS-formatted volumes on a locally attached disk can be backed up.

You could look into the Event Viewer to verify the backup issue according to the figure below:

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 6:56 AM
  • Thanks for the link in Event Viewer as this could be it!

The backup operation has completed with warning(s) - Volume 'C:' has developed new bad clusters. This may be an indication of problems with your hardware. 1024 bytes have not been backed up because they could not be read. Please run the CHKDSK /R command on 'C:' and then rerun the backup operation.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 11:24 AM
  • Thanks for the link in Event Viewer as this could be it!

The backup operation has completed with warning(s) - Volume 'C:' has developed new bad clusters. This may be an indication of problems with your hardware. 1024 bytes have not been backed up because they could not be read. Please run the CHKDSK /R command on 'C:' and then rerun the backup operation.

So what's the result after you follow the tips in the Event Viewer?

1024 bytes have not been backed up because they could not be read. Please run the CHKDSK /R command on 'C:' and then rerun the backup operation.

I think this command is worth trying here to verify the issue.

Regards,

James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, June 21, 2012 1:17 AM
  • I did the CHKDSK /R (and was schduled for the next boot) and given my WHS is a headless unit, I "presume" it did it things as I have now had two sucessful backups according to the Dashboard.  I'd say the bad sector was the issue, but it take some digging to find out what the issue is (eg it is not reported up via the dashboard). 

Thanks for all the help!

Friday, June 22, 2012 5:28 AM