WHS Client backup failure RRS feed

• Question

• I have three machines all backing up correctly to my WHS. the kids machine is XP SP3, my wife machine is 32-bit vista SP2, and my machine was vista SP2, have just upgraded a couple of weeks ago to Win 7 64-bit. All machines have been backing up no problems and have been for about 18 months.

Yesterday I set up a new laptop for my wife and it consistantly fails the backup at a reported 63 percent. The machine has a 160 GB drive partitioned into a 2 Gb d: recovery partition and the remainder is the c: drive. When the backup runs, it does the d: partition first and then the c:. The d: partition is sucessfully backed up. This fails at the same place if it is either wired or wireless.

At first I thought it was a client fault but now I am thinking it is something wrong at the server end. When it fails, on the home server log I get the message below in the Homeserver log

"Client Backup server failed at d:\wssg_src\whs_pp2\qhs\src\backup\util\sort.cpp(1205)"

and in the application log about 10 minutes later...

"Faulting application whsbackup.exe, version 6.0.2030.0, faulting module whsbackup.exe, version 6.0.2030.0, fault address 0x0003cbc4."

About 1 minute or so after that, on the client I get these two error messages...

Backup of volume C: to SERVER failed: Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ProtocolException: Client / Server connection lost
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.TryReconnect(Int32 localGeneration)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.ReadWithReconnect()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.ReadByte()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Common.Client.BinaryReaderEx.ReadLong()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Common.Client.BinaryReaderEx.ReadInt()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.BackupProtocol.GetResponse()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.DoWorking(BackupVolumePhase phase)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.Run()

and

Backup set 1 on SERVER failed: Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ProtocolException: Client / Server connection lost
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.TryReconnect(Int32 localGeneration)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.DoWorking(BackupVolumePhase phase)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.Run()

My other machines still backup successfully.

I have ran a clean of the backup database and a repair. each time it has come up fine.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the client serveral times.

The Client estimates the backup job should take around 40.5 Gb, I have 180 GB free out of 1Tb (spread over 4x 250 Gb disks) total storage on the server. The server is fully patched and is at PP2.

I have run the client troubleshooter and there are no problems reported apart from a supposed mismatch between the client and server (client reports 6.0.2030.2, server reports 6.0.2030.0).

Anyone out there with some ideas/recomendations?

Thanks

Greg

Sunday, September 20, 2009 10:17 AM

All replies

• I have three machines all backing up correctly to my WHS. the kids machine is XP SP3, my wife machine is 32-bit vista SP2, and my machine was vista SP2, have just upgraded a couple of weeks ago to Win 7 64-bit. All machines have been backing up no problems and have been for about 18 months.

Yesterday I set up a new laptop for my wife and it consistantly fails the backup at a reported 63 percent. The machine has a 160 GB drive partitioned into a 2 Gb d: recovery partition and the remainder is the c: drive. When the backup runs, it does the d: partition first and then the c:. The d: partition is sucessfully backed up. This fails at the same place if it is either wired or wireless.

At first I thought it was a client fault but now I am thinking it is something wrong at the server end. When it fails, on the home server log I get the message below in the Homeserver log

"Client Backup server failed at d:\wssg_src\whs_pp2\qhs\src\backup\util\sort.cpp(1205)"

and in the application log about 10 minutes later...

"Faulting application whsbackup.exe, version 6.0.2030.0, faulting module whsbackup.exe, version 6.0.2030.0, fault address 0x0003cbc4."

About 1 minute or so after that, on the client I get these two error messages...

Backup of volume C: to SERVER failed: Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ProtocolException: Client / Server connection lost

and

Backup set 1 on SERVER failed: Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ProtocolException: Client / Server connection lost
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.Run()

My other machines still backup successfully.

I have ran a clean of the backup database and a repair. each time it has come up fine.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the client serveral times.

The Client estimates the backup job should take around 40.5 Gb, I have 180 GB free out of 1Tb (spread over 4x 250 Gb disks) total storage on the server. The server is fully patched and is at PP2.

I have run the client troubleshooter and there are no problems reported apart from a supposed mismatch between the client and server (client reports 6.0.2030.2, server reports 6.0.2030.0).

Anyone out there with some ideas/recomendations?

Thanks

Greg

Have you tried running chkdsk /r on the C partition on the client that doesn't successfully backup?  Have you ever used some imaging program (such as Ghost or True Image) on that computer to clone the drive?
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 2:02 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion, Will give it a shot and see what the result is.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 7:40 AM