none
Windows Vista WGA no internet

Question

• I have a copy of Windows Vista installed on a PC that records security video in a building without internet connectivity. It has been in operation for over a year. Recently it has begun to display messages about Windows Genuine Advantage and turned off MS Security Essentials.

This is not behavior I like with this computer, but ultimately, if this is all it does, it probably does not really bother me either. I do not want to see greater and more persistent disruptions of the system in the future. This is not used as a user's PC. It is never connected to the internet and has very little likelyhood of ever getting a virus. If the OS becomes more disabled" it will cause a lot of grief.

So, I would like these messages to stop and MSSE restored to functionality. I can pick it up and take it somewhere to connect it to the internet and update, but I do not want to do this on a regular basis. I do not update this machine regularly (if ever) because it is working and updates are not required.

Is there a way to get MS Security Essentials working without an active internet connection and ensure there is no loss of windows functionality in the future?

Thanks for your help,

Jim

Thursday, September 8, 2011 4:45 PM

Answers

• The answer I was looking for was a "how to" for avoiding a reduction of operating system that is not connected to the internet because of WGA.  It appears SP2 will do nothing more than cause a black screen, which is fine.

I will upgrade the workstation and see how it goes.  So I consider this resolved.

Jim
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, September 20, 2011 9:52 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:10 AM

All replies

• "ETI-Jim" wrote in message news:1657b0c0-a93a-4934-8192-1dd2bdf1b4d7...

I have a copy of Windows Vista installed on a PC that records security video in a building without internet connectivity. It has been in operation for over a year. Recently it has begun to display messages about Windows Genuine Advantage and turned off MS Security Essentials.

This is not behavior I like with this computer, but ultimately, if this is all it does, it probably does not really bother me either. I do not want to see greater and more persistent disruptions of the system in the future. This is not used as a user's PC. It is never connected to the internet and has very little likelyhood of ever getting a virus. If the OS becomes more disabled" it will cause a lot of grief.

So, I would like these messages to stop and MSSE restored to functionality. I can pick it up and take it somewhere to connect it to the internet and update, but I do not want to do this on a regular basis. I do not update this machine regularly (if ever) because it is working and updates are not required.

Is there a way to get MS Security Essentials working without an active internet connection and ensure there is no loss of windows functionality in the future?

Thanks for your help,

Jim

MSE requires periodic validation – any PC that is never connected to anything else (internet/ other network/ hard drive/CD)does not require an anti-virus solution.

Your requirements appear to be contradictory.

Please explain more about your circumstances – we may then be able to advise properly.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 6:57 PM
  •  

Hello Noel,

I would say any PC today is best served with some sort of Antivirus solution, but no, it is not a requirement. Since the PC's function is for video surveillance, I think we can make the jump that there could be a reason to connect an external hard drive to copy video evidence if/when necessary.  I think we can make another leap and state that if you are connecting a USB device, or ever connect the PC to the internet because you might want the updates, it is probably a good idea to use some form of protection from viruses.

I accept full responsibility for my decision to place AV on the computer.  The free one from MS seemed like a good idea at the time because it had passed WGA during setup, but in hindsight there are better solutions given that MSE must contact the Mothership.  I am going to continue to use it on other systems where there is an internet connection.

I gave some background information only to establish a situation where a computer does not connect to the internet (it has been over a year since that system was placed at that location) and in fact uses a licensed copy of a Microsoft product, but is experiencing issues because of WGA.  I realize now this is a situation where less is more.  I don’t want to get wrapped up in the who, what, when, where and why’s.  For the purposes of this posting, we can simplify to the following:

Is there a way to remove messages and reduced system functionality caused by WGA on a system running a licensed version of Vista that does not have a connection to the internet?  If no, I will come up with a work-around, if yes, how?

The WGA has only recently become an issue because the system has not been attached to the internet in many months.  Connecting it to the internet is not an option (but I will do it one time to resolve this issue).

Jim
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 9:38 PM
  • "ETI-Jim" wrote in message news:31e0d938-350c-4a95-806d-7ad9e8da9dbe...

Hello Noel,

I would say any PC today is best served with some sort of Antivirus solution, but no, it is not a requirement. Since the PC's function is for video surveillance, I think we can make the jump that there could be a reason to connect an external hard drive to copy video evidence if/when necessary.  I think we can make another leap and state that if you are connecting a USB device, or ever connect the PC to the internet because you might want the updates, it is probably a good idea to use some form of protection from viruses.

I accept full responsibility for my decision to place AV on the computer.  The free one from MS seemed like a good idea at the time because it had passed WGA during setup, but in hindsight there are better solutions given that MSE must contact the Mothership.  I am going to continue to use it on other systems where there is an internet connection.

I gave some background information only to establish a situation where a computer does not connect to the internet (it has been over a year since that system was placed at that location) and in fact uses a licensed copy of a Microsoft product, but is experiencing issues because of WGA.  I realize now this is a situation where less is more.  I don’t want to get wrapped up in the who, what, when, where and why’s.  For the purposes of this posting, we can simplify to the following:

Is there a way to remove messages and reduced system functionality caused by WGA on a system running a licensed version of Vista that does not have a connection to the internet?  If no, I will come up with a work-around, if yes, how?

The WGA has only recently become an issue because the system has not been attached to the internet in many months.  Connecting it to the internet is not an option (but I will do it one time to resolve this issue).

Jim

I see your point in respect of the AV – however, any AV is only as good as its last definitions update, and it therefore requires updating on a regular basis.
    Reduced Functionality Mode only occurs in Vista RTM – if you update to SP2, you should get around that, and be left simply with a black background. Having said that, simply removing MSE should mean that validation is not longer required, and therefore you wouldn’t get thrown into a non-genuine state.
    Before we get confused too much, please provide an MGADiag report of the system, so that we can check that there’s no other reason for the non-genuine status.

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
    - IN YOUR OWN THREAD, please

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, September 13, 2011 6:09 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by ETI-Jim Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:10 AM
    Friday, September 9, 2011 5:51 AM
  • No reply from the Original Poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 6:09 PM
  • The answer I was looking for was a "how to" for avoiding a reduction of operating system that is not connected to the internet because of WGA.  It appears SP2 will do nothing more than cause a black screen, which is fine.

I will upgrade the workstation and see how it goes.  So I consider this resolved.

Jim
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, September 20, 2011 9:52 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:10 AM