Unable to view reports RRS feed

• Question

• We have recently reinstalled CRM 4.0 server including recreating MSCRM_CONFIG, as we had issues which are now resolved.  SQL server was on its own box (Windows 2003) and we took this oportunity to move all the organisations to a bigger and better SQL server box (Windows 2008 R2).

At the time of the reinstall, Reporting Services was not quite ready so we used the original Reporting Services on the old SQL box. The organisations were then configured using the reporting services on the new box.

It is now time repoint the CRM server to point at the new reporting services. I have started this by chaging the registry "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\MSCRM" SQLRSServerURL to point to the new server but this has not worked.  I have checked eventvwr and can see the below error

Web service request GetDataSourceContents to Report Server http://OLD_SQLSERVER/ReportServer$DYNAMICS2005/ReportService2005.asmx failed with SoapException. Error: The permissions granted to user 'DOMAIN\CRMSERVER$' are insufficient for performing this operation.

I am not sure if the reports were working before I made the registry change, or what else am I supposed to do after make the registry change. The URL in eventvwr resolves as expected.

Can you please advise if there is more work to be done to repoint the reporting services on the CRM server? and, How to resolve the above error so reports work?

Marc Collins www.QGate.co.uk
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 1:18 PM

Answers

• I have found the solution.

NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE did not have enough permissions on the SQL instance for Reportserver and CRM.  I gave NETWORK SERVICE the sysadmin role and I can run reports with out a problem.

I am still unsure what the recommended way to change which ReportServer the CRM server uses.

Thursday, March 3, 2011 1:11 PM

All replies

• There are a few things to check.  Is the new box in the priv reporting group in Active Directory.  There was someone with a similiar issue that had their issue resolved here.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/crm/thread/558e611d-4971-4f6a-ae73-c636d9d3342a

Jamie Miley
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 2:18 PM
  • You make a good point as I hadn't checked the security groups, however, they are all in order so I am still sure what the issue is.  Unfortunately, I am spending most of my time working with CRM 2011 so I can't concentrate my efforts on this. I will still be checking this thread as and when I get chance if you have any other ideas.

Thanks

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 4:18 PM
  • You should not be makig changes to the registry entries directly. There are a lot of other things that are needed to be in place. Please use the Deployment Wizard and do an edit organization to change the SRS URL. Please make sure to revert the registry changes before doing an edit organization.

If you still face issues after that, please share the topology information and the error details. I should be able to help you.

Thanks

Abhishek Agarwal MSFT
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 4:26 PM
  • Hi Abhishek

All the Organisations (including the default) are now pointing to the correct reporting service however the SQLRSServerURL key in the registry is still points to the old reporting server.

We had an issue where the security groups where deleted from Active Directory.  We had to delete MSCRM_CONFIG and reinstall CRM 4.0.  At this point we moved all the organisations to a new SQL server and the new MSCRM_CONFIG was installed here as well.  At the time of install, the new reportserver was not ready so I used reportserver from the old SQL server. Before importing the organisations, the new reportserver was configured hence it was used for all the organisations. We now want to decommision the old SQL server.

In relation to the error that I get when running reports, I do not know what stage broke reports (they may have been broken to start of with) but I suspect that the new SQL server is missing something.

Thursday, March 3, 2011 12:37 PM

NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE did not have enough permissions on the SQL instance for Reportserver and CRM.  I gave NETWORK SERVICE the sysadmin role and I can run reports with out a problem.

I am still unsure what the recommended way to change which ReportServer the CRM server uses.

Thursday, March 3, 2011 1:11 PM
  • A quick question, as the SA access gave you the ability to see the reports, I am wondering if these reports were against the filtered views or the regular entity tables?  The behavior you describe is definitely a-typical.

If they are not against filtered views I would say that my proposed answer above is valid.

Jamie Miley
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 3:04 PM
  • You should have a brief look at the Link which Jamie is provided. Because all the permissions and the servers which we using for CRM installation is created in Active Directory server groups. 

I want to know one more thing "did you use the same organizational unit which you have used for the Previous installation??"

If yes then you have to go through all of the CRM server groups from Active Directory.

Khaja Mohiddin
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 3:19 PM
  • Good thought also.

Jamie Miley
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 3:57 PM

I would like to re-iterate that I don't believe this is a supported solution to the problem.
    Jamie Miley
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 6:34 PM