Using a workflow to update a secondary record RRS feed

• Question

• I was wondering if this is possibl to do through a workflow

Scenario.

Opportunity=Primary Entity

Custom Entity= Related Entity

Workflow 1: When a check box is hit on the Opportunity Form and a $$ value added to a field the workflow makes a new record in the custom entity to reflect that (this runs on record created/field changed)

Workflow 2: I want the workflow to update that related record if a person goes into the opportunity and changes the $$ so the related record's $$ matches the Opportunity's new $$.

Is that possible?

Friday, July 29, 2011 9:30 PM

Answers

• The first workflow is straightforward if I'm understanding you correctly. You create a workflow, triggered off field change to create a new custom record.

For the second one, this is untested but should work. Assuming the custom entity is child to the opportunity, you can set a workflow, triggered off the creation of the custom record which waits until the $$ field on the child record does not equal the $$ field on the opp record. It then updates the child record with the correct value and spawns a child of the same workflow to wait until it changes again.

This second workflow has the risk of gobling up the processor if you create a lot of these custom records. If this is the case, a plugin may suit your needs better.

Leon Tribe

Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog http://leontribe.blogspot.com/ or hear me tweet @leontribe
    • Proposed as answer by Leon TribeMVP Monday, August 1, 2011 4:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sleahy Monday, August 1, 2011 3:13 PM
    Monday, August 1, 2011 4:23 AM

All replies

• It certainly is possible, provided that the relationship between the entity types is N:1 from Opportunity to your Custom Entity.

You can use Create/Update record steps to update a related entity by selecting the related entity instead of the Primary entity in the relevant drop-down list.

In the Create/Update step definition you can use the Dynamic Value assistant to assign values to your Custom entity using attribute values from the Opportunity entity instance.

--pogo (pat) @ pogo69.wordpress.com
    Friday, July 29, 2011 10:00 PM
  • The first workflow is straightforward if I'm understanding you correctly. You create a workflow, triggered off field change to create a new custom record.

For the second one, this is untested but should work. Assuming the custom entity is child to the opportunity, you can set a workflow, triggered off the creation of the custom record which waits until the $$ field on the child record does not equal the $$ field on the opp record. It then updates the child record with the correct value and spawns a child of the same workflow to wait until it changes again.

This second workflow has the risk of gobling up the processor if you create a lot of these custom records. If this is the case, a plugin may suit your needs better.

Leon Tribe

Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog http://leontribe.blogspot.com/ or hear me tweet @leontribe
    • Proposed as answer by Leon TribeMVP Monday, August 1, 2011 4:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sleahy Monday, August 1, 2011 3:13 PM
    Monday, August 1, 2011 4:23 AM