Multiboot installation of XP Pro RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased a retail copy of XP Pro and currently have it installed on my computer with full activation and validation so I have no problems with that installation.  However, I have a Trios hard drive selector which allows me to boot to 3 different hard drives on the same computer.  My question is, can I install and activate my copy of XP Pro on a 2nd hard drive in the same computer with the same activation key and not violate the EULA and still receive updates on both hard drives?  I'd like to use the 2nd hard drive as a test bed for various shareware, etc.  I have absolutely no intention of moving either hard drive to a different computer, which I think, would violate the EULA and most likely block my key at some point.
    Monday, June 12, 2006 8:08 PM

Answers

• A Windows XP license can only be used on one (1) computer. A second installation requires a second license, even if its installed on the same computer. 

From the Windows XP EULA: 1.1 Installation and use.

You may install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Software on a single computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device ("Workstation Computer").

Please read your End-User License Agreement by going to Start > Run and type: WINVER , and hit enter. Then click on "End-User License Agreement".

Monday, June 12, 2006 10:30 PM
  • One (1) installation on one (1) computer.  Re-read the EULA.

Sunday, August 26, 2007 2:41 AM

All replies

• A Windows XP license can only be used on one (1) computer. A second installation requires a second license, even if its installed on the same computer. 

From the Windows XP EULA: 1.1 Installation and use.

You may install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Software on a single computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device ("Workstation Computer").

Please read your End-User License Agreement by going to Start > Run and type: WINVER , and hit enter. Then click on "End-User License Agreement".

Monday, June 12, 2006 10:30 PM
  • I can see the predicament here. He is indeed installing on 1 computer. He is installing it twice, but it is still the same computer, I would assume since he is only installing these on 1 computer he will only be accessing 1 of the installations at a time. Which would mean only 1 is being displayed. Ergo, by your own EULA he is only installing, using, accessing, and displaying 1 copy of the software at a time on one computer. The only discrepancy would be that he would be installing twice on the computer. However due to the wording of your EULA I would interpret it that as long as it is installed on the same computer that it would not violate that particular strand.

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 10:36 PM
  • One (1) installation on one (1) computer.  Re-read the EULA.

Sunday, August 26, 2007 2:41 AM