XP restore fail at 81% RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Houston I need help! The hard drive in my wife's Toshiba laptop failed today and I thought no prob fit new hard disk and restore from my WHS. Restore failed a couple of times so i decided to see if I could open the backups. All backups for this XP machine failed to open at 81%. My WHS has 4 client PCs (two Vista and two XP machines)and all backups open fine apart from this one machine. Can you please advise i'm just about to lose all my credibility saying to my wife how secure our data is.....methinks not now!!
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 9:55 PM

Answers

• You can submit a bug report on Connect . But there are no tools except those in Windows Home Server itself to extract a specific backup from the backup database, and (as I said) I suspect a long-standing problem with that particular client which resulted in corrupt backups. It's likely at this point that you have no usable backups from that laptop...

As for testing backups, yes you should. Everyone should, on a regular basis, because the only way to be sure that you can read your backups is to actually open them up and read them.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Skyfury Monday, July 27, 2009 7:04 AM
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 3:02 PM

All replies

• You still have a couple of options. One (probably the first one I would try) is to remove the drive from your wife's laptop and connect it to another computer using a USB bridge for the drive interface it uses. Then on the computer you connect to, you can run C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe . This is the same program that the Restore CD runs, just hosted in a full Windows environment. That may allow you to restore the laptop's drive from one of the backups of it on your server. You should try working your way back through all of the backups of that laptop, BTW.

The other thing you can try is to install Power Pack 3 beta. There are fixes in it for some of the 81% errors users have experienced.

There are other possible reasons for your restore issue, but the steps above are probably your best bet to start.
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 1:31 AM
  • Ken thanks for your post.

I tried the Power Pack 3 beta option first and afraid no luck. I tried opening all backups for this machine the majority failed to mount at 81%, others failed to mount at around 6%. I have now removed the hard disk and installed in a USB caddy, and trying to restore via another client PC using the ClientRestoreWizard. It will be a few hours before I know the result, let's hope it works, I'll post results.

Thanks for your help. 
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 9:11 AM
  • Update.

The option to restore via another client PC using the ClientRestoreWizard also failed to restore. I have since run the database repair which found no problems. I really am beginning to panic now and my wife is not best pleased and asking why £700 of hardware bought to protect all our valuble data has let us down when called upon to do what it says on the side of the tin, a basic PC restore!

I have sucessfully restored other clients with no problems whatsoever.

From now on I will test all my backups to ensure I can mount them. Do not assume when WHS reports a backup as complete (no backup failed messages) that the backup can be restored sucessfully.

I would really welcome any further suggestions, I need to restore this client?

Sunday, July 26, 2009 10:42 AM
  • You can submit a bug report on Connect . But there are no tools except those in Windows Home Server itself to extract a specific backup from the backup database, and (as I said) I suspect a long-standing problem with that particular client which resulted in corrupt backups. It's likely at this point that you have no usable backups from that laptop...

As for testing backups, yes you should. Everyone should, on a regular basis, because the only way to be sure that you can read your backups is to actually open them up and read them.
    • Marked as answer by Skyfury Monday, July 27, 2009 7:04 AM
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 3:02 PM
  • I don't suspect I have a drive problem, new drives and no related errors as such in the event logs, but I have run chkdsk on the storage pool / system drives for peace of mind. How/where can I access the chkdsk logs? Ican't seem to find anything using the event vewer. I'm out and about for the next few days so can't establish a RDC but can remote connect to the console.

I don't have time at the moment but will submit a bug report on Connect in due course.

I have learnt a valuable lesson here and in future will assume nothing with WHS. I could have probably repaired the client (wasn't a huge problem) that I tried to recover but thought a quick restore would be easier. My big mistake was not checking I could mount the backup before I did the restore.

Monday, July 27, 2009 7:03 AM
  • I didn't say anything about problems on the server. I think there was something wrong with the client and (for some reason) it didn't prevent backups from appearing to succeed. As for where to access the logs, look for the event source Winlogon in your server's Application event log.

I open at least one backup from every PC in my house every week... It's not an issue unique to Windows Home Server, either. Any backup strategy that isn't tested regularly is a weak strategy.

Monday, July 27, 2009 3:17 PM