seo friendly url RRS feed

Answers

• Hi,

The way you are referencing this, the second example (/mypage/) is a folder under mydomain.com. Is that your intention?

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 3:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The way you are referencing this, the second example (/mypage/) is a folder under mydomain.com. Is that your intention?

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 3:04 PM
  • Hi Brett,

It would resemble to be a folder

actually I wanted to know what a search engine prefers

www.mydomain.com/mypage.aspx

or

www.mydomain.com/mypage/default.aspx  (or www.mydomain.com/mypage/ where default.aspx is known as the default page.

I want to use url rewriting in my asp.net website, so this is not a "real" subfolder.

so I would like to know what would be the best practice here.

If the first one is ok, do search engines prefer .htm extensions above aspx ? is this known ?

thanks

koen

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 3:30 PM
  • My URLs look like folders.  www.mydomain.com/board-title/topic-name/

My index page actually ends in index.php but search results only return the bare www.mydomain.com without the extension. Browsers and bots will know what kind of page it is by its MIME type.

This has been my experience with Google and Yahoo. It's been over a month now and MSN still has only my index page indexed and that one is extensionless as well.
    Thursday, June 12, 2008 12:07 PM
  • For me it lookes like google mostly ignores text in the url by giving more weight to the quality of the actual content? Is that the case here too?

Thursday, June 19, 2008 9:28 AM
  • I'm sure they give the most weight to the actual content inside I've seen search results on Google and Yahoo where the keywords in the description and the URL are in bold. To me, this means they do look for and recognizse keywords in the url. They give weight to domain names with key words so why not the rest of the URL?  This is just a meaningless search but notice the words being emphisized in the URLs.  Google Search for seo friendly url It would only make sense for the algorithm to give urls at least some weight since most people name them according to the content inside.

However, it COULD work against you if the words in the URL have nothing to do with the content of that page (or thread if you have a forum.)

If it makes the difference of being on the first page rather than the second, I'm all for it. Even if it doesn't matter, seo friendly URLs are much more pleasing to the eye.

I don't know anything about live search. The reason I'm here is because they aren't indexing anything other than my index page.  Yahoo and Google have hundreds of my pages indexed.
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 10:17 AM

• I think that nothing is igmored by the search engines and url's have also some weight.  Therefore I alway use http://www.deadflyseo.com/ with the full www and the trailing / - also the deeper your pages are in the site the less chance they will visit you often - so keep as flat as possible - they tell you this in guidelines.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 7:20 PM
  • Sorry, Im a little late with this post, But I just came across this and wanted to reply..

Google algorythm compares Search Engine proven synonyms or (SEPS) with other trusted websites or "authority sites" for indexing, The words in Bold you see can be obtained by running a query using the tilde key "~" The tilde function tells Google to BOLD all of the words that it considers to be synonymically related to the keyword you place after the ~.

This is an excellent way to see what other words are related to your parent theme of your site.

If you query the word "~Car" (without quotations) you will see that google will bring up results in Bold I/E: BMW, Auto, Automotive, Vehicle etc..

Once you try this you will see the results. I use a tool that automatically does the work for me and the best part its free.

article Jockey

Friday, September 5, 2008 9:28 PM