MP-114/2FXS/2FXO RRS feed

• Question

• The  MP-114/2FXS/2FXO  (http://www.888voipstore.com/audiocodes-mp-114-2fxs-2fxo-pr-17128.html) should allow me to hook up a standard POTS analog line to it and allow my OCS Speech Server application to handle calls.

Is there any problem with hooking the ports up as showwn belew -

FXO 1 - standard analog line from POTS

FXO 2 - a standard analog phone

FXS 1 - OCS 2007 Speech Server 

FXS 2 - a SIP phone

I'm assuming that for the FXS ports that they just are just plugged into my router/switch and the dial tables or configuration just points to my OCS box and SIP phones attached to my network.

I want people calling my house to have their calls answered by Speech Server. I also want to be able to call MSS from a voip phone.

I'm planning on using this for testing and demo purposes. I'm ready to pull out the old credit card and committ but I thought I  would do one last sanity check.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 9:32 PM

Answers

• These are analog ports, so you cannot connect a SIP phone or Speech Server to them.  Those would connect over the IP network.

Thursday, September 13, 2007 12:09 AM

All replies

• Marshall,

I don't think anyone here at MSFT has ever tried this particular device, so we have no real-world experience with it - the best we can say is that it might work. I'd be interested to hear how well it works out - do let us know. I would recommend that you check that it supports SIP over TCP, that's often an interoperability issue & I don't see it mentioned explicitly on the link you gave.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 5:00 PM
  • These are analog ports, so you cannot connect a SIP phone or Speech Server to them.  Those would connect over the IP network.

Thursday, September 13, 2007 12:09 AM
  • I thought you could connect a SIP phone or Speech Server to the FXS ports.

Are you saying that the FXS ports only connect to analog phones?

Thursday, September 13, 2007 2:11 PM
  • I got my hands on one yesterday and I understand now. Both FXO and FXS ports are analog meaning I can connect the FXO port to my phone line and then connect an analog phone to the FXS port. All SIP stuff such as a soft phone or the Speech Server will be connect by the network connection.

Friday, September 14, 2007 1:50 PM
  • Marshall,

Where did you get the MP114 gateway from? I am looking to get one myself. Thanks.

Thursday, January 31, 2008 5:29 PM
  • I got it through my company (Gold Systems) from these guys - http://www.paracon.com/

But if you will do an internet search on "MP-114" you should find several sources. I've enven seen them on Ebay.

Thursday, January 31, 2008 6:04 PM
  •  Marshall Harrison [OCS MVP] wrote:

I got my hands on one yesterday and I understand now. Both FXO and FXS ports are analog meaning I can connect the FXO port to my phone line and then connect an analog phone to the FXS port. All SIP stuff such as a soft phone or the Speech Server will be connect by the network connection.

I am trying to setup a similiar one. So I wanna seek help from you. Smile

In your scenario,

1) Is FXO used to transfer coming call out to telephone service provider such as mobile phone?

2) Is FXS is to answer internal call from the other FXS phone or other SIP devices?

3) When you travel, you can make call to home(FXS) via network? By office communicator client or other software? can we link another SIP device to make call without computer?

Thx.

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 11:05 AM
  • 1. The FXO port is connected to a POTS analog line and is used to make calls to regular phones or cell phones.

2. The FXS can be used to place outbound calls through the FXO port or to answer SIP based calls. It all depends on how you have the gateway configured.

3. IN theory this should work but you would need to expose your gateway to the Internet (i.e. outside your firewall).

I never got the AudioCodes gateway working the way I wanted it to and I have switched to a Dialogic gateway.

You can get more configuration information here - http://gotspeech.net/forums/thread/4710.aspx. Jeff is using a MediaPack 118 but you may still gain some insight from it.

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 12:50 PM
  •  Marshall Harrison [OCS MVP] wrote:

1. The FXO port is connected to a POTS analog line and is used to make calls to regular phones or cell phones.

2. The FXS can be used to place outbound calls through the FXO port or to answer SIP based calls. It all depends on how you have the gateway configured.

3. IN theory this should work but you would need to expose your gateway to the Internet (i.e. outside your firewall).

I never got the AudioCodes gateway working the way I wanted it to and I have switched to a Dialogic gateway.

You can get more configuration information here - http://gotspeech.net/forums/thread/4710.aspx. Jeff is using a MediaPack 118 but you may still gain some insight from it.

Thank you! I am reading your BLOG. Smile

one more question. If I have 2 SIP phones(RJ45) connected to the network with OCS and maybe they are in two different location, can they call each other?

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 1:27 PM
  •  Baconson wrote:
     Marshall Harrison [OCS MVP] wrote:

1. The FXO port is connected to a POTS analog line and is used to make calls to regular phones or cell phones.

Thank you! I am reading your BLOG.

one more question. If I have 2 SIP phones(RJ45) connected to the network with OCS and maybe they are in two different location, can they call each other?

I mean, is there some simple SIP phone can work with OCS without gateway? I can connect it to network directly and configure it.

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 6:07 AM
  • Yes.

They can do it by dialing the IP of the other phone or you can setup a dial table on the gateway so that you could just dial a number and the gateway will direct it to the other phone.

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 12:58 PM