Can I use my old N Router as an Access Point without wires? RRS feed

• Question

•  

OK, I got my new Linksys WRT600N router, but I still also have my old Belkin N router. The Belkin has the option to act as an access point. My question. If I pre-configure my Belkin as an access point, does it then have to be connected by Wire to function? Can it function merely as a repeater (plug into an electrical outlet, but no ethernet)? I'm wondering if I could have my main wired PCs downstairs connected to my new WRT600N, and setup my old Belkin upstairs - the router and the access point signals allowing for better coverage? Since my upstairs is not wired for ethernet, I'd want to use the Belkin as a stand-alone unit. Maybe I'm way off... appreciate your ideas!

Jerryrigged
    Saturday, March 22, 2008 3:27 AM

All replies

• Yes, needs to be wired.

Different models work the wiring differently as well (patching in threw switch ports as opposed to wan port), check http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14991544 as an example.

Some of the alternative firmwares (DD-WRT, Tomatoe, etc...) that I've messed with on various routers have the modes your looking for ('act as wireless repeater'), but I don't remember any of the Belkin N series being supported (could be wrong).

I have a moded 300N and it covers 3 floors in my house, you sure yours won't do the job ?

-Andersonz

Saturday, March 22, 2008 5:58 AM
  • This new Linksys router was a real pain to configure.  I tried just using the web interface, but my PC wouldn't even recognize it.  So I had to do the initial configuration with the included Linksys software.  Seems to be working good now... and a significantly stronger signal in my living room (2-3 walls between that room and the new router).  I'm going to play around a bit using the old Belkin as an Access Point, but for the time being, looks like I have to have it plugged into the Linksys to work.

Jerryrigged

Saturday, March 22, 2008 6:51 AM