my advice to all RRS feed

• General discussion

• I need to give all of you some great advice, some of u may already know this. I am saying this for all people wether you build ur own computers or buy them listen to this! After testing the last version of whs on a very powerfull pentium 4 Socket 478 with a $400 video card with 3.5 gigs of ram! I realized that whs was running slower. Then I put rc1 on the oldest computer I had,  it was a celeron socket 370 with 600 meg of ram . Whs ran faster on the celeron. After remembering the laws of computer science. I realized that high overhead from the $400 video card and the high end board is what made the pentium 4 run slower with whs. In conclusion my advice to you is to run whs on the oldest desktop you have. dont go below pentium 3 or an amd equivalent Basic processors like celerons are ok. Remember everyone, this is a storage server, not a $120,000 transaction/ sql/processing server. This is not even a corporate server. This is srtictly ment for storage. And if you buy computers. For once why dont you try and build them? Go to tigerdirect.com or newegg.com order the parts, and build yourself a whs. Remember to order the cheapeast parts. Just make sure they are quality parts and not something that will die on you. I hope I have helped someone who has read this. Have a nice day.
    Monday, June 18, 2007 4:06 AM

All replies

• Very good suggestions, the other consideration is the energy wasted running unnecessary hardware like discrete video. Since the video won't even be a concern after the installation is completed, on board is actually ideal for WHS (as a gamer I can't believe I'm actually recommending integrated at all).

I'm running it on an old AMD 1200 box and while the install was *painfully* slow, once that is completed it runs just fine. I think the biggest condiseration on some of the older boards is the hard drive limitations. The motherboard in this system doesn't support anything over 160gb for example.

Monday, June 18, 2007 2:39 PM
  •  shaanM wrote:
    I need to give all of you some great advice, some of u may already know this. I am saying this for all people wether you build ur own computers or buy them listen to this! After testing the last version of whs on a very powerfull pentium 4 Socket 478 with a $400 video card with 3.5 gigs of ram! I realized that whs was running slower. Then I put rc1 on the oldest computer I had,  it was a celeron socket 370 with 600 meg of ram . Whs ran faster on the celeron. After remembering the laws of computer science. I realized that high overhead from the $400 video card and the high end board is what made the pentium 4 run slower with whs. In conclusion my advice to you is to run whs on the oldest desktop you have. dont go below pentium 3 or an amd equivalent Basic processors like celerons are ok. Remember everyone, this is a storage server, not a $120,000 transaction/ sql/processing server. This is not even a corporate server. This is srtictly ment for storage. And if you buy computers. For once why dont you try and build them? Go to tigerdirect.com or newegg.com order the parts, and build yourself a whs. Remember to order the cheapeast parts. Just make sure they are quality parts and not something that will die on you. I hope I have helped someone who has read this. Have a nice day.

it's really great advice man i'm gonna check it cuz i check it's too too slow .. but let me check the idea you say and check if it gonna be faster then now or not

but thanks for your advice .

Monday, June 18, 2007 11:45 PM
  •  Silverdragontech wrote:

Very good suggestions, the other consideration is the energy wasted running unnecessary hardware like discrete video. Since the video won't even be a concern after the installation is completed, on board is actually ideal for WHS (as a gamer I can't believe I'm actually recommending integrated at all).

I'm running it on an old AMD 1200 box and while the install was *painfully* slow, once that is completed it runs just fine. I think the biggest condiseration on some of the older boards is the hard drive limitations. The motherboard in this system doesn't support anything over 160gb for example.

Remember you can use a PCI storage controller.  I've installed WHS on a dual-P3 700MHz box, Intel 440BX chipset.  I'm using none of the onboard IDE channels for HDDs (DVD only), instead they're running on a PCI card IDE controller.

cheers,
    Ben
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 8:02 AM
  • Yes here too, running it on dual pentium 3 1Ghz, 1Gb ram.. and PCI IDE100 storage adapters. No problems at all. Even running uTorrent and some extra software on it!
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 9:20 PM
  • My WHS is running on an all in 1 Mobo big HDD and 1gig of generic ram and no problems so far
    Wednesday, June 20, 2007 9:57 AM
  • I couldnt agree more. It would be interesting to do an energy analysis on new boards vs older boards to see if newer may eventually be cheaper, at least via power consumption (sorry, not a tree hugger, just curious and hate paying my electric bill) the only other thing to consider is that the MB have auto-power on...I'm ot sure whether lack of that feature is just old boards or whether Im missing something on mine....
    Wednesday, June 20, 2007 10:38 AM