Need help with WLOC on re-start RRS feed

• Question

• How do I stop WLOC from scanning every time I re-boot my computer.  I have it set to scan every night at 3:00 A.M. and don't want it to scan evey time I re-boot because I do a lot of testing and a lot of re-booting during the day and the scan ties up the computer.

Thanks

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 1:29 AM

Answers

• It should only scan once per day for about 5 minutes or less and only if the PC was not on at the time of your scheduled daily scan. There is no way to disable the daily scan. It should not be scanning at every reboot. Why do you believe that it is scanning at a reboot?

-steve

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 12:15 PM

All replies

• It should only scan once per day for about 5 minutes or less and only if the PC was not on at the time of your scheduled daily scan. There is no way to disable the daily scan. It should not be scanning at every reboot. Why do you believe that it is scanning at a reboot?

-steve

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 12:15 PM
  • My goodness, I must be suffering from senile dementia.  Sorry to have wasted your time.  Of course that's why it shows a different time than what was programmed.  I had the stupid thing shut down overnight and of course when I turn it on, the first thing it's going to do is run the scan.  Now I have to find out what IS running every time I re-boot, because there is definitely something running and slowing this thing down and it runs for about 5 minutes.

Thanks for the wake-up call Steve.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 2:13 PM
  • No waste of time. :-) And it was a very good question.

If you normally shut the PC down overnight, it will scan on the first reboot of the day. It is certainly possible that you are seeing slowness at reboot as services start and OneCare intercepts and scans all files and processes loading into memory at start. I can tell you that my machines, running OneCare or not, all have a CPU suck for a minute or so at boot as various programs and processes load. In my case, one of the worst offenders is Windows Live Messenger, by the way. On my Quad Core desktop all 4 cores peg at 100% for a few seconds when WLM first starts up and starts the automatic sign-on.

-steve

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 5:38 PM
  •  

Thanks again Steve.  That's probably it in my case too then as I use both WLMail and WLMessenger 9.0, plus I'm participating in the WFP and ClickStart.  They are all probably "phoning home".  I'll just have to pay more attention to what's going on.
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 7:08 PM
  • You're welcome. You may want to give Process Monitor and Process Explorer (and a whole lot of other Sysinternals utilities) a try:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/cb56073f-62a3-4ed8-9dd6-40c84cb9e2f5.aspx

-steve

Thursday, May 22, 2008 12:28 PM
  • Thanks for the link, I appreciate it..  Have downloaded Process Explorer and will take a look at a few of the others too.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 1:06 PM