Installation Error - Bootmgr Missing RRS feed

• Question

• I just recently downloaded the 120 day evaluation version of Windows Home Server.  I made a bootable DVD from the .iso that I downloaded from Microsoft's download center.  Once I had the bootable DVD and made the neccesary changes to my bios to change the boot squence I attempted to install WHS.  After I was prompted to boot from a CD I get the following error: Bootmgr missing.  Any thoughts, suggestions?  I have downloaded the image multiple times and burned the .iso with multiple disks and burners.  The other thing that struck me as odd was typically when I download evals from Microsoft I receive a product key.  I did not receive a product key for this eval.  Any help that can be given would be much appreciated.

Thursday, January 22, 2009 7:07 PM

Answers

• I am currently using Windows 7 and I used the software that is included to burn the ISO.  I've never used it before so my confidence level is lacking.  It's a pretty straight forward app but I'm used to using Nero.  I will install Nero and give that a go.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Thanks.
    Friday, January 23, 2009 5:45 PM

All replies

• I would try a different DVD drive first. As for the product key, you'll have to obtain one on Connect.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 10:12 PM
  • I appreciate your response.  I have tried (2) different DVD drives and I've made multiple bootable DVDs.  I still get the message "Bootmgr is missing".  Any other suggestions?
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 10:20 PM
  • Sorry, I meant in your server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 10:22 PM
  • I have tried multiple drives in my server also.  With no luck I still receive the error.  The server that I am trying to get running is a box that I used up until a few days ago as a gaming server running windows XP.  None of the hardware has changed.  Any other suggestions?
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 10:26 PM
  • Did you burn the ISO directly to disk or first mount the image and burn the contents to dvd? I've never had much luck using the first method but using Nero and/or N-lite to burn the contents to disk has worked for me in the past. WHS installer doesnt start at the normal blue setup screens however, it first goes into a gui and partitions the C drive, so that could be an issue as well.
    Friday, January 23, 2009 9:58 AM
  • I am currently using Windows 7 and I used the software that is included to burn the ISO.  I've never used it before so my confidence level is lacking.  It's a pretty straight forward app but I'm used to using Nero.  I will install Nero and give that a go.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Thanks.
    Friday, January 23, 2009 5:45 PM