Microsoft Money 2000-2002 Corrupted Data File RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to download the data repair tool titled M06-Repair.exe on
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902466
    and the download link appears to be down, can anyone be of some help with an alternate mirror or?
    Wednesday, October 3, 2012 4:16 PM

All replies

• No. However this may help accomplish the same thing:

Keep an extra copy of your *.mny and *.mbf files on other media while you sort this out. Money, including 2000 ... 2002, comes with a utility called salv.exe located in the Money install folder. You can run that and try to make a  repaired version of a *.mny file.

If you want to try a newer version of salv.exe, you could temporarily install Money Plus Deluxe Sunset onto a different computer on which you could do the attempted repair. You could then use the repair utility of that version. It will work on a Money 2000 file. It will work on a file from different countries. I don't know how much different the newer versions are.

Restoring your newest or second newest backup (*.mbf) file may be the thing that will get you going again. I hope you have a good backup method.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 9:17 PM
  • This is a business I support and they have backups regularly to a Mirrored NAS device, however I'm fearful that the latest backups were either overwritten before the notified me of this issue or were one of the corrupted backups, to be honest I was not even aware they were using this software or I would have had them update to a newer solution some time ago.

I was not able to find a salv file in the default folder ("C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\") and I was under the impression that the m06-repair.exe file was the one responsible for creating/extracting the salv.exe repair utility.
    Thursday, October 4, 2012 3:21 PM
  • To find salv.exe you  could enter the following command into a command window, including the quotes:

dir "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\"salv.exe /s

That should find the salv.exe file. You would choose level 2 for the repair.

If you are in the US, Money Plus Business could be an alternative. One particularly useful feature is the ability to keep multiple time-stamped backups. You could download that with the link in the first post in this forum. 

Thursday, October 4, 2012 3:39 PM
  • Salv.exe lives in th:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\MNYCoreFiles

folder, assuming installation on C:

An easier version of the search would be

dir salv.exe /s

You could also unpack it from the money installation .exe

• Edited by banjomike Thursday, October 4, 2012 8:13 PM
    Thursday, October 4, 2012 8:11 PM
  • You could also unpack it from the money installation .exe

Great idea. What would be the procedure for extracting the newest salv.exe from the Money Plus Deluxe Sunset installation .exe file?
    Thursday, October 4, 2012 10:33 PM
  • Use 7-zip or similar to open USMoneyDlxSunset.exe as an archive. Then extract salv.exe from the archive to where you want.
    Thursday, October 4, 2012 11:01 PM
  • I use WinRar.  Right click on the .exe, select open with winrar.  Find salv.exe in the list.  Drag it to the desktop.
    Friday, October 5, 2012 12:13 AM
  • For some inexplicable reason the MNYCoreFiles folder is a set as a Protected Operating System files/folders.  You have to go to your advanced View settings in Windows Explorer and uncheck the Protected Operating System files/folders box (ignore the warning).  Then you should find your Salv.exe.  (Be sure to recheck the box after you are finished, unlike MMNCF, the other protected files/folders should be hidden.)

• Edited by bobjbkln Friday, October 5, 2012 3:50 PM
    Friday, October 5, 2012 3:50 PM
  • I don't think the MNYCoreFiles folder was used for Money 2000...2002. I am thinking that started with Money 2005.

Now that I think of it, I wonder why Timothy refers to "Microsoft Money 2000-2002". It is unusual for a range to be used for this kind of thing. Could it be that the file is from a later version than what is installed? That will not work, and instead will give an error. Timothy did not state what error was given when trying to open the *.mny file. Would the error be some kind of bogus password message, or what?

Friday, October 5, 2012 4:10 PM
  • The range of years was more because I could not remember the exact version off the top of my head. It is Microsoft Money Deluxe 2002.

The error I am receiving is "Money cannot locate 'C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\dinner Backup 0.mbf' or cannot open it, possibly because it is a read-only file or you do not have permission to change it or your disk drive is write protected.
     If you have chosen the correct file and it cannot be accessed, you will need to click OK and open your most recent backup file. 

If the file is being used by another application, close it in the other application and click OK to try again."

The file is not read-only enabled, I have tried multiple locations on the drive (Including root, C:\Moneybackup\, etc, In case the desktop was protected and was some-how preventing Money from opening it) I have also "Taken Ownership" of the file as well.

The error it gives me in Microsoft Money Deluxe 2002 is the same error that I receive in the Microsoft Money Deluxe Sunset Edition downloadable off of microsofts website.

I am still unable to find the salv.exe file you mention being in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\MNYCoreFiles". In fact I am unable to even locate a "MNYCoreFiles" in either version of 2002 Deluxe or the Microsoft Money Sunset Deluxe version off of microsoft's website. The test computer I am using is 64-bit so obviously the path is slightly different being in the Program Files (x86) folder instead. 

I did however attempt to repair it via the built-in tool in the Microsoft Money Sunset edition (File--->>>Repair--->>Standard File Repair)- The error it gives me when taking this route is "Invalid Database"

Again however, is there any place I can download the salv.exe repair kit?
    Monday, October 8, 2012 8:22 PM
  • 1. You may have to install a later version to work with 64-bit windows. If you are in the US, you would use Money Plus Deluxe Sunset. See the download link in the first post on this forum. I am not sure this will be needed, but it may be.

2. Note that salv.exe does not work on *.mbf files. If you don't have a *.mny file, tell us more.

3. Also be alert for any *.mn8, mn9, m10, m11, m12 files in your drive. One of those would point to prior version conversions.

4. It is critical that your *.mny and *.mbf files not be within your Program Files folder. Your Documents folder is the common place to put those.

5. When you install Money and want to open a *.mny file, it is best to first close Money if it is open. Then double-click the *.mny file in Windows Explorer to open Money. Money will remember the locations.

Monday, October 8, 2012 11:23 PM
  • You will not see MNYCoreFiles (if it is present in Money 2002) until you enable "Show hidden files" in Windows Explorer.

If the file has been created or modified by a later version of Money than 2002, Money 2002 will not be able to open it as the file format will have changed.

It can only be opened by the same or a later version of Money.

1. You may have to install a later version to work with 64-bit windows. If you are in the US, you would use Money Plus Deluxe Sunset. See the download link in the first post on this forum. I am not sure this will be needed, but it may be.

2. Note that salv.exe does not work on *.mbf files. If you don't have a *.mny file, tell us more.

3. Also be alert for any *.mn8, mn9, m10, m11, m12 files in your drive. One of those would point to prior version conversions.

4. It is critical that your *.mny and *.mbf files not be within your Program Files folder. Your Documents folder is the common place to put those.

5. When you install Money and want to open a *.mny file, it is best to first close Money if it is open. Then double-click the *.mny file in Windows Explorer to open Money. Money will remember the locations.

Show hidden files is enabled on the actual computer and computer with the microsoft money sunset deluxe installed for recovery purposes, I'm telling you that folder did not come with the standard installer off of the website.

The file I need to recover is a .mbf file not a .mny file
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 2:20 PM

• The file I need to recover is a .mbf file not a .mny file

Close Money. Put a copy of that surviving *.mbf file into your Documents folder. Start Money by double-clicking that *.mbf file to start the attempted restore. Do not accept the default location to restore to.  Instead, Browse to your Documents folder and specify a filename that does not yet exist there.

If that fails, either your *.mbf file is corrupted or it is from a later version of Money than you currently have installed. Let's hope it is a version problem. In that case, what you want to do is to install the appropriate version of Money using a link from the first posting in this forum based on your country.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 2:34 PM
  • You will not see MNYCoreFiles (if it is present in Money 2002) until you enable "Show hidden files" in Windows Explorer.

If the file has been created or modified by a later version of Money than 2002, Money 2002 will not be able to open it as the file format will have changed.

It can only be opened by the same or a later version of Money.

Show hidden files is enabled on the actual computer and computer with the microsoft money sunset deluxe installed for recovery purposes, I'm telling you that folder did not come with the standard installer off of the website.

The file I need to recover is a .mbf file not a .mny file

"Show Hidden Files" will not reveal MNYCoreFiles folder.  As I previously explained, for some inexplicable reason the MNYCoreFiles folder is a set as a Protected Operating System file/folder.  You have to go to your advanced View settings in Windows Explorer and uncheck the Protected Operating System files/folders box (ignore the warning).  Then you should find your Salv.exe.  (Be sure to recheck the box after you are finished, unlike MMNCF, the other protected files/folders should be hidden.)
    • Edited by bobjbkln Tuesday, October 9, 2012 2:48 PM To remove some of the quoted material)
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 2:47 PM

• The file I need to recover is a .mbf file not a .mny file

Close Money. Put a copy of that surviving *.mbf file into your Documents folder. Start Money by double-clicking that *.mbf file to start the attempted restore. Do not accept the default location to restore to.  Instead, Browse to your Documents folder and specify a filename that does not yet exist there.

If that fails, either your *.mbf file is corrupted or it is from a later version of Money than you currently have installed. Let's hope it is a version problem. In that case, what you want to do is to install the appropriate version of Money using a link from the first posting in this forum based on your country.

I tried restoring via the process you suggested and it still gives me an error that it cannot locate that backup file. If it is corrupted is their any process recommended of repairing that backup file?
    Friday, October 19, 2012 8:00 PM
  • I tried restoring via the process you suggested and it still gives me an error that it cannot locate that backup file. If it is corrupted is their any process recommended of repairing that backup file?

Move on to the "If that fails..." part. If you are in North America, install Money Plus Deluxe Sunset.

Friday, October 19, 2012 8:42 PM