Mac Backups using Timemachine - under vail anyone go it working? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Has anyone got time machine to work with Vail.

Macbook Pro - Using Launchpad can see folders but when backup is selected kicks into time machine but no drives visible? 

Machine:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro1,2

Processor Name: Intel Core Duo

Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 2 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP12.0061.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.5f10

Serial Number (system):

Hardware UUID:

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

I would love to get this working!!

Fromeboy, Herefordshire, UK

Sunday, August 29, 2010 7:46 AM

Answers

All replies

• Search is your friend: timemachine
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, August 29, 2010 2:25 PM
  • Hi Ken,

I ;ve searched there and nothing.  I just feel I need to do something to get a drive viewing.  I have a number of drives mounted but none appear.

Any other thoughts??

N

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 9:57 PM
  • Michael Leworthy's post in that thread contains complete instructions.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 2:28 AM
  • Is there any final resolution to this Mac Backup issue?

The steps posted above are obviously the same as for WHS 1 (or as for backing up a Mac on an SMB share) The WHS 2011 release comes with a Launchpad for Mac, which even has a "Backup" button - this button starts up Timemachine, but doesn't seem to configure anything. The server itself lists the Mac client under "Computers and Backup" and simply says "not set up".

So either MS wasn't able to get the whole thing implemented in the final release or the instructions are hidden somewhere...

Anyone?

Regards,

Olaf

Saturday, April 30, 2011 9:47 PM
  • After you go through the steps, the Backup button works, it launches Time Machine and you process your backup just like you would with any Mac. The only thing that doesn't show up is how the backup is progressing on your dashboard.

The question was whether Microsoft chooses to automate this process in Windows Home Server 2011 or leaves it a manual process. I read one place where they were planning to do this in RTM, then another place where they didn't know if it was going to happen because of a support issue with Apple.

If you're using RTM, then I guess we know the answer now!

As you go through the process, you'll see it's a configuration issue with Apple, not Microsoft, as Apple turns off the recognition of non-Apple drives to be used to be used with Time Machine.

As you stated, the process allows you to use ANY non-Apple drive as a backup drive (that you've "Mounted" and creates a "SparseBundle" (Apple's backup file) that you can copy and paste to whatever drive and folder you want to use. 

Thanks. Paul Carvajal

Sunday, May 1, 2011 4:09 PM