none
Critique my setup - 1.55TB Home Server, and growing!

General discussion

• These threads are always fun, only this actually serves some kind of purpose by giving an idea just how large these things can scale. So without further ado, here's what I had set up, ready to go for the Home Server beta:
    • Pentium D 930 (Dual Core 3GHz)
    • ASUS P5WD2-E Premium (Intel i975X Chipset)
    • PowerColor ATI X1300 256MB
    • 1GB Corsair PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
    This board is pretty damn good. If it supported Core 2 Duo chips, I'd still be using it - in fact, it's a better board than what I currently have in my main system now. It has 4 native SATA ports, with 4 additional ports belonging to the onboard Marvell 614x SATA controller - one of them can be used as a normal board port, or it can be re-directed to an eSATA port on the back.

My biggest hassle with this system was that the Marvell SATA controller had big issues handling more than one drive at the same time - if you accessed two drives on this controller at once, you'd get hit with a massive speed hit. Apparently, this was resolved (along with a few other issues) in the last BIOS update for this board. However, I'd since migrated to my Core 2 Duo system since that time.

So.. that's the system hardware out of the way. Time for the drives:
    • 1x Western Digital 300GB SATA300 Drive (Boot Drive)
    • 2x Seagate 300GB SATA150 Drives
    • 2x Samsung 400GB SATA300 Drives
    • Sony DVD+/-RW IDE Optical Drive
    The two Samsung drives were purchased recently, as they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. The three Seagate 300GB drives all came out of my main system (which also has a 200GB, and three 400GB's already). One 300GB drive (the Western Digital) went flakey on me once, so I immediately replaced it with other drives. Not sure what the issue was, but the WD drive actually had nothing wrong with it. It spent a few months sitting in a plastic container, just waiting for a use.

So.. we need something to house all this in. Some people are in to building mini-ITX boxes, with a single drive.. or some crazy setup using 2.5" notebook drives for their storage.. but my intention is to build something big. I need to be able to store a lot of drives, and have a lot of room inside the case for all the mess that'll be in there. I also need cooling, and preferably, some kind of security around the power/reset buttons, and the drive bays so noone messes with this thing.

Enter the Antec Titan550. This is one big, roomy sucker. It's not anything flash to look at - it hasn't got windows, or LED fans, or cathode lights strung around it like a christmas tree - it's just one big mother of a case. It also comes with a 550W EPS PSU, which is great, because my motherboard allows for an EPS PSU, and all that juice can keep my enormous number of drives running.

However, despite being roomy, it's only got room for six drives max. I've already got 5, so this doesn't leave much room for expansion. Plus, I'm still in the process of getting two 92cm fans for the hard drive bays, and I don't really want to keep all those drives so close together just yet without adequate cooling. So I pull out the other "thing" I just had laying around - my SNT ST-3141 4 Drive SATA Enclosure. It's got a big fan on the back, cooling the drives quite nicely, and it allows for easy future expansion as well. It's also flashes the LED corresponding to each drive, plus a warning LED for the drive's fans/temp sensors - handy as SMART information doesn't appear to translate across the 614x SATA controller. I've also got a smaller, 3 drive version of the same enclosure in my main system, which means in the event of something terrible happening - I've got quick and easy access to my data.

So far, I've loaded 871GB of data onto the server, and it's performing beautifully. The backups have been working great, and I've still got room for two drives in the enclosure - I might go shopping for two more 400GB's - which'll make it a 2.3TB home server, and more than enough room for my backups, and to be able to support data redundancy.

I'd like to hear just how big people have gotten their home servers. Anyone broken the 2TB barrier yet?
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 4:50 PM

All replies

• Just thought I'd add how the install went on this thing. I had to get drivers for damn near everything except the north bridge's SATA controller. The first 4 SATA ports were fine, but naturally, drivers for the 614x SATA controller had to be installed - not unusual, as even 2003 Server and Vista doesn't have drivers for that thing. I think my board is the only one around with that particular controller.

What struck me as odd was the fact that drivers for my two onboard NICs had to be installed. Server 2003 SP1 has drivers for them, as does Vista, but Home Server didn't. The NICs are Marvell Yukons' as well - which are in just about every board or PC that says it's got a Gigabit NIC onboard nowadays. I think the best thing to do is to gather drivers for every device on the system, including chipset - even if you know the drivers are in Server 2003 SP1 normally.

Naturally, I still have all that mass amount of data stored elsewhere as well. Once I get two more drives, I intend to test the redundancy features of Home Server, and see how it handles large amounts of data being set as duplicated.
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 5:20 PM
  • Nice write up.

I plan on using the 1 Terabyte Western Digital MyBook external drives to enhance my system. I have 2 500gig MyBooks now, considering how inexpensive the 1T drives are now (considering previous cost that is) I can enable duplication for the very large stuff and feel pretty safe.

I can't wait for WHS to be released!

Sunday, March 11, 2007 6:35 PM
  • Great Post and nice newer equipment...

Mine is a modest P4, 2Ghz, celeron, 768MB ram, Asus P4B motherboard, But I've broken the 2TB barrier from the start and not by much...... 2.06TB as reported by WHS.

Once WHS goes gold, I'll replace motherboard with something newer, like a Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe....

Sunday, March 11, 2007 10:39 PM
  • I like the fact that your board has 8 SATA connectors but your case doesn't have enough 5.25 bays to support 8 cold-swap drives. A Cooler Master CM Stacker would give you enough room for 2 4-drive backplanes plus a DVD-Drive but their power and reset buttons are not placed behind the door (on models that have a door). Personally I like the origional CM Stacker (STC-T01) even though it doesn't have a door.
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 11:18 PM
  •  TLG Jaymz wrote:
    These threads are always fun, only this actually serves some kind of purpose by giving an idea just how large these things can scale. So without further ado, here's what I had set up, ready to go for the Home Server beta:
    • Pentium D 930 (Dual Core 3GHz)
    • ASUS P5WD2-E Premium (Intel i975X Chipset)
    • PowerColor ATI X1300 256MB
    • 1GB Corsair PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
    This board is pretty damn good. If it supported Core 2 Duo chips, I'd still be using it - in fact, it's a better board than what I currently have in my main system now. It has 4 native SATA ports, with 4 additional ports belonging to the onboard Marvell 614x SATA controller - one of them can be used as a normal board port, or it can be re-directed to an eSATA port on the back.

My biggest hassle with this system was that the Marvell SATA controller had big issues handling more than one drive at the same time - if you accessed two drives on this controller at once, you'd get hit with a massive speed hit. Apparently, this was resolved (along with a few other issues) in the last BIOS update for this board. However, I'd since migrated to my Core 2 Duo system since that time.

So.. that's the system hardware out of the way. Time for the drives:
    • 1x Western Digital 300GB SATA300 Drive (Boot Drive)
    • 2x Seagate 300GB SATA150 Drives
    • 2x Samsung 400GB SATA300 Drives
    • Sony DVD+/-RW IDE Optical Drive

The two Samsung drives were purchased recently, as they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. The three Seagate 300GB drives all came out of my main system (which also has a 200GB, and three 400GB's already). One 300GB drive (the Western Digital) went flakey on me once, so I immediately replaced it with other drives. Not sure what the issue was, but the WD drive actually had nothing wrong with it. It spent a few months sitting in a plastic container, just waiting for a use.

So.. we need something to house all this in. Some people are in to building mini-ITX boxes, with a single drive.. or some crazy setup using 2.5" notebook drives for their storage.. but my intention is to build something big. I need to be able to store a lot of drives, and have a lot of room inside the case for all the mess that'll be in there. I also need cooling, and preferably, some kind of security around the power/reset buttons, and the drive bays so noone messes with this thing.

Enter the Antec Titan550. This is one big, roomy sucker. It's not anything flash to look at - it hasn't got windows, or LED fans, or cathode lights strung around it like a christmas tree - it's just one big mother of a case. It also comes with a 550W EPS PSU, which is great, because my motherboard allows for an EPS PSU, and all that juice can keep my enormous number of drives running.

However, despite being roomy, it's only got room for six drives max. I've already got 5, so this doesn't leave much room for expansion. Plus, I'm still in the process of getting two 92cm fans for the hard drive bays, and I don't really want to keep all those drives so close together just yet without adequate cooling. So I pull out the other "thing" I just had laying around - my SNT ST-3141 4 Drive SATA Enclosure. It's got a big fan on the back, cooling the drives quite nicely, and it allows for easy future expansion as well. It's also flashes the LED corresponding to each drive, plus a warning LED for the drive's fans/temp sensors - handy as SMART information doesn't appear to translate across the 614x SATA controller. I've also got a smaller, 3 drive version of the same enclosure in my main system, which means in the event of something terrible happening - I've got quick and easy access to my data.

So far, I've loaded 871GB of data onto the server, and it's performing beautifully. The backups have been working great, and I've still got room for two drives in the enclosure - I might go shopping for two more 400GB's - which'll make it a 2.3TB home server, and more than enough room for my backups, and to be able to support data redundancy.

I'd like to hear just how big people have gotten their home servers. Anyone broken the 2TB barrier yet?

Nice setup.. I have that cage, but the info is misleading.  The lights do not flash with drive activity which sucks, but none the less it is nice. 

Here is my setup:

MB FOXCONN 6150K8MA-8EKRS G6150 939 - Retail
    2x MEM 512Mx2|PTR D400 PSD1G400KH R - Retail
    4x HD 500G|WD 7K 16M SATA2 WD5000AAKS - OEM
    CPU AMD|A64 X2 4600 2.4G 939 1M % - OEM
    CASE ATHENATECH|A3603BB.400 BLK R - Retail
    2x MEM 512Mx2|PTR D400 PSD1G400KH R - Retail
    4x HD 500G|WD 7K 16M SATA2 WD5000AAKS - OEM
    CPU AMD|A64 X2 4600 2.4G 939 1M % - OEM
    CASE ATHENATECH|A3603BB.400 BLK R - Retail
    Athena Power BP-SATA3141B 3 x 5.25"Bays to 4 x 3.5"HD (SATA) Back Plane - Retail

The price didn't end up being that bad for a SFF.  Once I installed WHS on to a single drive I pulled out the DVD and caged all the hard drives.  So it looks like a headless appliance just sitting in my basement.

Monday, March 12, 2007 3:15 AM
  • Just finished ordering my hardware - it took forever to decide whether I was going small case or large case.

Here's what I ordered and my thinking behind it...

First, the thinking. The San Diego has ridiculously high energy rates. Every new KWH (1000 watts for one hour) costs me around $0.24. So, if this new server uses 200 watts, then 200 watts X 24 hours = 4.8 KWH x $0.24 = $1.15 per day. So if its 200 watts, then this is about $33 a month on my electric bill just for this one new server. Don't get me wrong, feeling better about having backups covered is "priceless" as the commercial says. It just means given our goofy electric rates, energy efficient parts will pay for themselves.

To that end, I opted for a AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Lima 2.4GHz processor which runs at 45 watts -- this is low for a CPU.

After a long long search, I went with the GIGABYTE GA-M61PM-S2 motherboard, which has four SATA II ports and a built in graphics card. I looked at other boards that could give 8 and even 9 SATA II ports, but they didn't have on-board graphics and the price difference comes close to paying for an add in controller card with 4 SATA II ports. So I figured four SATA ports for now, and when I outgrow the on-board SATA I will either go with a controller card, eSATA, or external USB (likely a controller card). I couldn't find much on motherboard power consumption, but I doubt there is a huge difference between this one and other ones.

I got two sticks of DDR2 667 PC2 5300 512MB memory so that they will run dual channel. Having 1 GB won't hurt, and the 667 speed is in the sweet spot price wise -- 1GB (two sticks) for $71 + shipping (newegg).

For hard drives, I went with two Samsung 500GB drives (SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ, $135 each at newegg). These have good user feedback, are supposed to be quiet, and use about 10-11 watts (about 1 watt if WHS puts then to sleep -- don't know if that will ever happen...).

For a DVD drive, I'm actually going to just put one in only while I load the system, and then pull it. I figure this gives me two IDE drives if I get desperate...

Then it took a long time to decide on a case. I went all over the map -- use one that I will be freeing up from a Windows Server 2003 installation I did to learn it but never did anything with it. Or get a small case like an Ultra MicroFly case (the computer I'm typing on is this Ultra case); it's cute, quiet, and could hold 5 SATA drives. But with lots of drives, airflow might become an issue. Then I thought about a utilitarian 4U server rack case -- decided I didn't want to be staring at this in my office and thought it would be loud. Then looked at an Antec P180 case (big, basically ugly, supposed to be quiet) -- almost bought it, but couldn't get too thrilled. So I finally settled on a Thermaltake
    Tsunami case in silver (VA3000SNA). It's a very nice all aluminum case that has gotten great reviews and will hold (and cool) a lot of drives. Price was $96 plus shipping, but it is a case (very punny) of you get what you pay for.

Finally was the power supply. I started thinking I needed big (lots of drives eventually), but finally through searching and reading I determined that with the low power CPU, no graphics cards, no burning DVDs -- i.e. just a CPU, couple of fans, and hard drives at 10-11 watts each after spin up -- I didn't need a BIG power supply. So I searched for efficient supplies and came up with the Seasonic S12-330 S12 Series power supply. It's only 330 watts, but it should be fine even if I had 10 hard drives. Plus it's super quiet as its up to 86% efficient. Efficiency means less power, less $'s per month on my electric bill, less heat in the case, lower fan speed needs for cooling, lower noise.

So, bottom line is I'm spending about $720 for my first terabyte, and if hard drive prices stayed the same the next terabyte would cast me about $300 (gotta pay the sales tax at newegg, but best pricing...)

So, hopefully all the parts come next weekend, and the new WHS box is up and running by this time next Sunday if not sooner.

Charlie

Monday, March 12, 2007 3:24 AM
  • I was just accepted into the Beta program last week.  I have ordered the following and hope to have it all in by the end of the week.  I'll post back my results.

AMD Ahtlon 64 X2 3200+
    1GB DDR Memory
    20 x 500GB Hard Drives = 10TB
    Antec 4U Rackmount Case - 4U22ATX450-2
    Norco 3U 12 Bay SATA Storage Array - DS-1220

I'm digitizing my entire home video/photo collection.

Monday, March 12, 2007 3:51 AM
  •  TLG Jaymz wrote:

...I'd like to hear just how big people have gotten their home servers. Anyone broken the 2TB barrier yet?
    Your mainboard and CPU make mine look tiny - I'm running a Sempron on an ASUS Nforce4 mainboard, but if I had a choice I'd be on an Intel platform for sure.  Intel have the nicest hardware, the best onboard NICs and the best WHQL drivers.  You've got a great WHS platform here.

Cases:  I cannot recommend the Antec P180 highly enough.  If you want a quiet, silent, extremely well cooled box then this is one to consider.  You can easily run fanless on your CPU in this case with a Ninja or Thermalright Ultra120 heatsink.  The large slow spinning fans are almost completely quiet.  The rubber mountings on the drives makes them extremely quiet and kills nearly all the associated vibration.  SilentPCReview have a great review on this.  In my main PC I've been running fanless on my Athlon64 CPU in my P180B for months now playing heavy 3DGames - no problem and no heat.  There are 6 silicon rubber mounted hard drive slots in this case.

Drives:  With the single 1TB drives coming to retail in the next month (April 2007) prices are going to fall.  The 1TB drives will retail for around $400US or less.  I plan to start removing my 320GB drives and just put in 1TB ones as I feel like it.  Sell the 320GB... replace with 1TB.  With 6 drive slots you'll get to 6TB without even thinking eventually :)

Given the drive situation, WHS is coming along at a a very nice time. 

Monday, March 12, 2007 11:52 AM
  • my small box :

Mobile AMD Sempron 3300+ (2.0 GHz , 25W) @ 27°C , 1.225V
    2048 MB DDR-400 CL2 Corsair
    Biostar NF4 4xA7

HighPoint RocketRAID 2300 - 4xSATA II Raid (PCIe 1x)

SATA Disks
    2x Samsung HD080HJ [80GB] @ onboard SATAII [Raid 1]
    4x Samsung HD300LJ [300GB] @ Raid Controller [Raid 10] 

PATA Disks
    1x Samsung SP1604N [160GB]
    1x Seagate ST3200822A [200GB]

Optical Drives
    1x HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H42L
    1x HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8164B

Monday, March 12, 2007 2:10 PM
  •  ProVelocity wrote:

I was just accepted into the Beta program last week.  I have ordered the following and hope to have it all in by the end of the week.  I'll post back my results.

AMD Ahtlon 64 X2 3200+
    1GB DDR Memory

I'm assuming you are using eSATA to the Norco storage array, and some type of SATA controller to talk to some of the Antec rackmount case drives.

When it is all working, I would appreciate you posting back the controller card models. I'm sure there are several here who will be adding controller cards as our storage needs grow, so it will be nice to have reports of what cards actuall work.

Good luck with your system!

Charlie

Monday, March 12, 2007 3:38 PM
  • My setup (the one that is for purposes outside of various hardware setups)

Asus L1N64 SLI WS motherboard
    2xAMD 64! 4200+
    2x1024 Mb RAM
    10xSeagate Barracuda 7200.10 (320 gb ea) SATA
    1x DVD-ROM drive (boot drive)

Right now, I'm going to run a test on it to see what happens when 2 WHS are implimented on the same network (with backups, streaming media, and changes to hardware occur)

No RAID yet on this system, I had a crash while trying to impliment RAID 10 (not a WHS problem though, I had a burnt drive)

Monday, March 12, 2007 9:57 PM
  • I'm repurposing my old desktop. It's a Dell Dimension 4600 (no laughing <grin>) ...

Throw out 512Mb 333Mhz DDR RAM, replace with 2Gb 400MHz DDR.
    Use existing IDE drives - 1x80Gb, 1x200Gb
    Add 2x 500Gb SATA drives. Gives me close to 1.3 Tb.

Keep existing DVD rewriter, but toss DVD ROM/CD rewriter.

It has 2x 100Mb NIC installed - so I'll probably have to pull one.
    It has 2 graphic cards installed - nVidea somethingorother 64Mb and 128Mb ... probably should pull them too  ;-)

It has a 3-port Firewire controller and 7 USB2 ports. Plenty of room for a little farm of external drives. I have several I could add, just need some external caddies. Sure not so wise on cables or power consumption, but fun to keep adding drives that way until something says Please Stop  :-)

I thought I would finally be able to get this put together and have WHS installed yesterday, but too many other things need my time. Looks like it will be another two weeks now :-(

Monday, March 12, 2007 10:32 PM
  • Very nice equipment.
    My meager system
    MSI KM2ML
    AMD 2200+
    512 MB DDR
    WHS installed to WD400BB
    WD2500JB added as more storage
    WD800JB added as more storage
    3x WD800JB external

save the 250GB just some spare parts I had around
    works amazing thus far
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 1:20 AM
  • Wow...you've really piled it on!

I went with a small form-factor since we had the parts laying around.  Here's what I ended up with:

Apevia cube case (plain black one, Newegg has them in many colors) with 420W PS

Motherboard: Intel D945GCL micro-ATX board, 1 IDE and 4 SATA ports

RAM: 2x 512MB DDR2 Crucial sticks

CPU: Celeron D 2.66GHz (LGA775)

DVD: Creative DVD-RW

Hard Disks: 4x Western Digital Caviar 400GB SATA drives

NIC: 3Com PCI gigabit NIC

With all 4 drives in the pool with Drive Extender I'm getting 1.46TB total space.  I've got duplication enabled on the photo and music folders.  Client PC's are a 3GHz P4 box running Vista Ultimate (my net/office/play box), a 3.2GHz P4 running XP Pro (my audio and digital darkroom box), and intermittently a 1.8GHz Pentium M notebook built on an ASUS whitebook chassis (company laptop) runnning XP Pro.  No issues with WHS and my hardware at all, if I have the server on the bench running in KVM (non-headless) mode the sound even works.

Todd in Cheesecurdistan

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 1:55 AM
  •  ProVelocity wrote:

I was just accepted into the Beta program last week.  I have ordered the following and hope to have it all in by the end of the week.  I'll post back my results.

AMD Ahtlon 64 X2 3200+
    1GB DDR Memory

Awesome system.  I'm planning the same with my video/photo collection but am not having any luck in my attempts to convert DVD to video files.  How about a separate thread explaining what you are doing, so rest of us can learn from it.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 5:27 AM
  • It sure is fun reading about home 1TB+ servers. 

But where are the dual quad-core Xeons?  Do we need a Monster Server thread???

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 5:17 AM
  •  Pugsly0014 wrote:

Here is my setup:

I am just about to pick up that motherboard.  I'd just like to confirm that it works flawlessly with WHS...?  Did you have to download the latest drivers?

Thanks

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 4:57 PM
  • My Home Server Configuration:

ASUS Pundit P3-PH5 Intel Socket T(LGA775)(Sweet Barebones tower)

Intel Pentium D 805 Smithfield 2.66GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor

2 GB RAM

16X Sony DVD-ROM Drive

80 GB Maxtor Sata Drive (Internal Boot)

3, 250 GB External Drives, 1, via USB, 1, via firewire, 1 via, Esata conector on the tower.(which WHS sees as a internal drive)

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 7:03 PM
  • HP Compaq D220mt
    2.2 Celeron
    512MB PC2700 DDR (will be 1GB PC3200 once my RMA comes back)
    1  x 40GB HDD
    1 x 80GB HDD

Nothing fancy at all, decent little server. I plan on getting a 500GB HDD soon enough, should serve my needs for the immediate future.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2007 8:49 PM
  • Nice, nice, nice... some outstanding systems out there! Very jealous!

Here's mine:

HP xw4300 Workstation

Dual Core Intel® Pentium® D Processor 3.2 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, EM64T Intel 955x Express
    2GB (2x1GB) DDR2-667MHz ECC
    2 x 250Gb SATA 3.0
    FireWire 160Gb Maxtor external

Home network consists of:

2 x Vista systems, 4 x XP systems, 1 x Intel Mac and 2 x Virtual Machines

All have sucessfully been backed up on Homeserver (not the Mac obviously although Vista running on Parallels on the Mac has been) and loving how the compression works on the backups. Moving all my music/videos onto the server now and will add another 2 x HDD soon to take her over the terabyte.

Only issue has been I cannot get the Broadcom 5751 to run 1Gbps, only 100Mbps so I will look at swaping out the NIC at some point. Other than that all good!

Thursday, March 15, 2007 11:19 AM
  •  MurMan99 wrote:

It sure is fun reading about home 1TB+ servers. 

Since it is not running any processor intensive operations is there really a need for a quad-core?

I was running a single AMD 64 3800+ but I just upgraded to a AMD 64 X2 4600 which has helped a lot in my system.  Still think a quad-core would be overkill for what it does.

Thursday, March 15, 2007 2:04 PM
  •  Pugsly0014 wrote:
     MurMan99 wrote:

Since it is not running any processor intensive operations is there really a need for a quad-core?

I was running a single AMD 64 3800+ but I just upgraded to a AMD 64 X2 4600 which has helped a lot in my system.  Still think a quad-core would be overkill for what it does.

Are you saying an upgrade from a single core (3800+) to a dual core on the WHS box helped a lot?

I would expect the WHS box performance to be limited by the disk read/write speed and the network performance, not by an Athlon 64 3800+ processor.

Building my WHS this weekend with the new 45 watt 65nm version of the Athlon 64 3800+ thus my interest in your post...

Charloe

Thursday, March 15, 2007 5:39 PM
  • As far as disk read/write performance I did not notice any increase.  The bigest advantage was the disk migration service and media sharing services seemed to be working on seperate processors and my CPU time seemed to have gone down by 1/2.  I was seeing like 80% utilization and now is down to about %40. 

Thursday, March 15, 2007 7:06 PM
  •  aafflyer wrote:
     Pugsly0014 wrote:
     MurMan99 wrote:

Are you saying an upgrade from a single core (3800+) to a dual core on the WHS box helped a lot?

I would expect the WHS box performance to be limited by the disk read/write speed and the network performance, not by an Athlon 64 3800+ processor.

Building my WHS this weekend with the new 45 watt 65nm version of the Athlon 64 3800+ thus my interest in your post...

Charloe

I can see where the move to a dual-core processor can help.  Remember, this OS isn't just shoving things out to drive C: or D: and letting the disk controller figure out where to put it.  It's managing storage across multiple hard drives in a way that's supposed to provide some kind of redundancy without the managment complexities of RAID.  That's got to eat up a lot of processing power.  Those of us that are just running bare-minimum systems (P3 systems between 600MHz and 1GHz) with only one drive probably won't notice any performance problems while doing simple file sharing and backup, but it probably wouldn't be a good idea to stack on 3 or 4 extra drives while trying to use this as a streaming video server.

Thursday, March 15, 2007 7:16 PM
  • Server Specs

Lian Li PCV1000 plus

AMD Athlon 3500 single core.

1 gig corsair XMS2225 ram

Gigabyte GA-K8NSNXP-939

Quadro FX vidcard cause mobo has no onboard gfx

4 X SATA Western Digital 500 gig

4 X 320 gig Western Digital drives IDE.

320 watt Antec PSU

Space for 4 more HD.s in the case so looking at a Sil 3512 controller the onboard one works well. Just a pitty the Nforce NIC has no drivers for Server 2003 neither does onbard sound but then all I did was disable them who needs the sound anyway.

So far managed to backup all my pc's and still got about 20% drive space left.

Next beta I want to try is the Longhorn Server Beta and once it is available buy it.

Just a pity no 64 bit support, come on MS the world is moving toward 64bit  All my pc's running Win Vista 64bit on Dual boot via Bios so as not to interfere with my XP install

Just de-selected those drives for backup. Will try a backup with a drive with it on selected. And then do a completed restore to that drive o see if will work lol. Just for fun.

Break it and find bugggggggggssssssssssssss

Thursday, March 15, 2007 11:10 PM
  • Here's my system

• ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
    • Ultra Aluminus case/Ultra 500W power supply
    • Athlon Thunderbird 1.4GHz
    • 512MB DDR
    • Promise ATA133 controller card
    • 320 GB PATA Maxtor boot drive
    • 1x 160GB SATA drive (samsung, I think)
    • 6x 160GB 7200 RPM IDE drives (various, mixture of Samsung, seagate, WD and Maxtor)
    • 1 300GB external drive
    • 1 80GB external drive

Total disk space 1.7TB of storage.

This was originally running a hacked version of XP Pro to put the 160GB drives in RAID5, and sharing out folders for file/media sharing and backup target in our home LAN.

Now with WHS it is much cleaner software install and now I'm finally looking for good solutions for a media player solution to stream DVD ISO images from the WHS - and I'll finally start to use the huge storage.

Friday, March 16, 2007 1:28 PM
  • To all you guys running the big iron, I was just curious how much power your machines are pulling at idle and under load.  Have you measured the power draw using a Kill-A-Watt?  I went the opposite direction with the lowest power PC that I had:

• Via 1.3GHz Samuel2 CPU on Syntax S635MP motherboard ($5 after rebate a few years ago)
    • 512MB DDR
    • Older Seagate 200MB (probably a 7200.8)
    • Old Antec SLK  case (don't remember the model number)
    The system seems to perform fine for backups and MP3 serving using Windows Media Connect.  I'm going to add a few more HDDs over the next few days, including a Maxtor 320GB and a Hitachi 400GB, so we'll see if my wimpy processor can handle the extra drives with Drive Extender.  My present power draw is 43W at idle as measured by my Kill-A-Watt.
    Saturday, March 17, 2007 3:28 PM
  •  wombat94 wrote:

Now with WHS it is much cleaner software install and now I'm finally looking for good solutions for a media player solution to stream DVD ISO images from the WHS - and I'll finally start to use the huge storage.

I've just finished converting all my .iso files to plain video_ts folders, so my Media Center in the living room can easily browse through them all. Just add a .jpg to every folder and now even the kids can choose their favorite movie!

Saturday, March 17, 2007 9:07 PM
  • My system :-)

Tyan s5360 server motherboard

Dual 3.2GHz Xeons

2GB RAM

Sil 3124 based host card with 4 eSATA ports. The card is port multiplier capable and supports up to 5 physical ports from each eSATA port. The port multipliers I'm using are from addonics and are sil3726 based. Right now I have 2 multipliers connected to 10 drives. The drives themselves are Seagate 250GB SATA II drives. The boot drive is an 80GB drive.

I took a slightly different route in terms of case strategy. The server components are housed in a rack mountable server case. It holds only the motherboard, CPUs, memory, boot drive, the host card etc. It has a Corsair 600w PSU (probably overkill).

The drives themselves are housed in their own rack mountable server case. Each server case can easily hold 10 drives. That case has an Antec "green" 500w PSU. The port multipliers are housed in this case as well, and the only cables connecting these 2 are the 2 eSATA cables. Both cases are super quiet and cool you can hardly hear them from more than 3-4 feet away.

With this config, I can easily add another 10 drives, and/or upgrade all the drives to bigger ones.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 1:36 PM
  • I'm running WHS in a generic Compaq desktop tower case with an ATI Radeon 7500 graphics card, two 500GB Seagate SATA HDDs, and an 80GB Seagate HDD.  I plan on adding eight 500GB HDDs within the next three months, but only after my custom case comes back (the joys of living within spitting distance of a college campus with an engineering program) in two weeks.

New case will have space for fourteen drives sitting side-by-side in stacks of seven, two 550W power supplies, and six fans.  I plan on going with two PCI-E SATA controller boards to channel all those drives.

Total Cost: I don't want to think about it.

Only thing that bugs me is that WHS does NOT seem to support onboard audio for the current board, and doesn't accept the drivers from my Creative Audigy 2.  Anybody else notice that?

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 4:28 PM
  • Well I havent seen this mentioned here...wish I can say Im not a troll but just started looking into the WHS to round out my home network and stumbled upon these threads...so be gentle please.

Here is what I am looking at doing and have done so far using MCE and want to integrate WHS into it.

1. Silicon Image 3114 based raid card...(Port Multiplier (PM) supporting). (the card I have is a PCI ADSA3R5-E 1 eSATA and 3 internal port SATA II JBOD/ RAID5 PCI controller. Any and all can be used for a total of 20 HDDS. Just need to use a PCI Bracket to convert the internal ports to eSATA ports to add more Enclosures if I wish.) $75.00

2. 1-eSATA x 5 SATA port multiplier backplane. (I use Addonics 1x5 backplane..roughly $85)

3. External 5.25 Multi-bay enclosure (Mine has a 300W PS and 7 Bays...no MB support straight up enclosure only.) I use the Manpower N5700 7 Bay enclosure) $85.00

4. I use a HDD cage 3x5 HDD Bay. So i can fit 10 drives with 1 5.25 bay free. (I use the Icy DOCK 3x5 HDD Cage. $115.00)

5. hmmm..thats it on what I have.  This setup works great for using with MCE 2005. 

So thats what I have currently connected to my MCE2005 machine.  Works great...dont notice any slowdown with the port multiplying.  So 1 esata cable runs 5 drives for a nice clean set up.

What I want to do is make a small server platform to run my enclosures.  Thats where WHS comes in.  Was looking at a Via C7 1.5 GHZ embedded platform with 1GB RAM.  Low power, low heat, has 1 PCI slot to connect the PCI controller and with the abilities that WHS has to combine all drives into 1 working volume that can be ALOT with 20 HDDs.  Granted I am not rich so that will be a gradual overtime process...besides...the girlfriend gets cranky when I start buying MY toys so have to be subtle.

So I guess my concern is would WHS have any issues running this type of set up?  And would the Via embedded system be enough?  Never played with mini-ITX or embedded platforms but to me it looks like what I have in mind would be a good way to go for a 24x7 home server.  Would love some feedback.

Saturday, March 24, 2007 3:42 AM
  •  kapone wrote:

My system :-)

Tyan s5360 server motherboard

Dual 3.2GHz Xeons

2GB RAM

Sil 3124 based host card with 4 eSATA ports. The card is port multiplier capable and supports up to 5 physical ports from each eSATA port. The port multipliers I'm using are from addonics and are sil3726 based. Right now I have 2 multipliers connected to 10 drives. The drives themselves are Seagate 250GB SATA II drives. The boot drive is an 80GB drive.

I took a slightly different route in terms of case strategy. The server components are housed in a rack mountable server case. It holds only the motherboard, CPUs, memory, boot drive, the host card etc. It has a Corsair 600w PSU (probably overkill).

The drives themselves are housed in their own rack mountable server case. Each server case can easily hold 10 drives. That case has an Antec "green" 500w PSU. The port multipliers are housed in this case as well, and the only cables connecting these 2 are the 2 eSATA cables. Both cases are super quiet and cool you can hardly hear them from more than 3-4 feet away.

With this config, I can easily add another 10 drives, and/or upgrade all the drives to bigger ones.

My bad someone did mention the Port multiplier.  Thats what I get for reading tired.

Need to change one thing on my post...its the Sil 3124 chip not the 3114(i have that card too but doesnt support PM.).

Saturday, March 24, 2007 3:48 AM
  • Here's my modest WHS hardware setup:

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2800
    Motherboard: ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe
    Memory: 1GB 400MHz DDR
    Network Adapter: Onboard 1GB NIC
    Video: ATI 9600 Radeon Video Card w/ 128MB memory
    Hard Drives: 2 Western Digital Caviar RE WD2500YS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0GB/s
    Optical Drive: Generic DVD ROM Drive

Motherboard came with driver CD that included drivers for Windows Server 2000/2003 so no issues other than I had to manually install them since WHS did not come with necessary drivers which wasn't a problem for me.  Also had to manually install driver for the Radeon 9600 video card.

Initially I thought WHS might run slowly on the setup but I'm pleasantly surprised so far.  No issues with hardware. I have 3 XP and 3 Vista clients on the network.

Can't wait for updated WHS software.

Saturday, March 24, 2007 5:01 AM
  • I've been up for two weeks now.  WHS part of small home network (all cat5 running through a *noisy* DLink 16 port Gigabit switch) with three desktops and a laptop.  Using old Dell (stored in garage past two years--finally found something to do with it):

Dimension 4300
    P4 1.5GHz
    512 RAM
    NEC DVD Burner
    DLink Gigabit NIC
    2 Maxtor 200 GB 7200 EIDE

I bought the two HDs for the project ($40 each after rebate).  Surprised how well it works with only 512 RAM and relatively low performance PC.  Besides the nightly backups, I use the shared folders for images and music (no videos).  Just to see how it performs, I've had all four clients accessing the same music at the same time--no problems.

Also, been running headless after setting up.  The box just sits in the corner doing its thing!

Saturday, March 24, 2007 6:10 AM
  • My setup is as follows

Intel P3 1ghz
    512mb ram
    120gb IDE hard disk
    Onboard display etc

It currently draws a steady 35w going up to about 40w during backup or heavy file access.  I am going to add a second 120gb drive which will add a few extra watts but nothing much.

Once WHS is released i am going to setup a proper machine for it to run on.  I will probably keep the same mobo, processor and ram but add a dedicated pci SATA Raid controller with a few 500gb disks in a Raid 5 array.  I would rather leave the management of the disk subsystem to a dedicated controller rather than the OS. 

I worked out that the setup i am currently running costs about £2.50 per month in electricity to run 24x7.  If i upgraded the processor, graphics, mobo etc it could add another 50-100 watts to this which works out at at anywhere between £50-100 per year extra in electricity which i dont really want to spend on something that isnt being used to its full potential.

To give you some idea as to why i dont think its worth adding any more processing power one of the old servers we run at work is a single P3 1ghz with 1gb of ram running Win2003 and a 100gb RAID5 array and it acts as a file server for nearly 200 people with no performance problems.  It doesnt have the OS doing the disk management which is left to the raid controller so there is very little overhead on the system.

Saturday, March 24, 2007 8:02 AM
  • Very nice!  The IDE/SATA question seems to be a constant.

I stole the kids' game machine and put WHS on it.  It's a Compaq Evo D310/minitower that had 160 and 300 GB IDE drives already installed.  It sports a P4 2 ghz processor, 512 MB ram, and onboard video, audio and network (Intel chipset).  Install went great, lacking only auto install of the audio drivers.  But who needs audio in the server, anyway?  The only issue I have with this box is drive capacity - I'm maxed out with the HDs and the Sony DVD drive.

WHS is up and running stably, so I just had to change something.  I rummaged around in my goodie box and found a spare SATA-150 PCI card I got with the 160 GB drive last year.  The W2K3 driver was easy to find on the manufacturer's web site, and the system recognized the controller with no issues.  This meant, of course, I had to add a SATA drive.  I found the Western Digital 500 GB SATA-300 drive on sale for $179 (with another $30 off with a mail-in rebate), and it installed without a hitch.  In fact, it seemed too easy (and I have a question about that in another thread).  So with 850 or so GBs, I'm pretty much topped out unless I splurge on another SATA controller with an eSATA port, or bite the bullet to use a firewire or USB external.  I was drooling over the 1 TB MyBook - also on sale for $399...but wasn't sure how WHS would deal with it.  Maybe next payday...

So far, so good!  WHS will find a wide market niche if MS doesn't overprice it.  I can't wait for the RC to come out!

Sunday, March 25, 2007 2:35 AM
  • I have a Compaq Evo 310 v as my main office computer and upgraded that to vista home premium.  For the beta test, I bought a 2nd Dell sc400 with 2 gb of ram, and 1 120 gb hard drives at the paramount greeting card auction.

The hard drives were supposed to have been wiped clean by the auction company, but WHS did a much better job formatting and removing the old greeting card info.

I have 2 250 gb internal hard drives on the compaq and they have been backing up well. I have a Gateway Laptop which has a 40 gb hard drive and that is going thru a secured wireless Linksys router with no connection problems at all.

Having fun yet?

Sunday, March 25, 2007 4:28 AM
  • Well, I've hit 2.25TB. I now have 4x 400GB SATA drives, with 3x300GB SATA drives running on the secondary controller. My next plan is to rebuild the Home Server with a 1.86GHz Core 2 Duo, and a new P965 based motherboard with 9 SATA ports and an eSATA port onboard. The primary reason is due to power issues - the Pentium D just sucks too much juice - but also because the secondary SATA controller in the current system woefully underperforms.

I'm also planning to slap it all in a brand new case, and pick up another SNT3141 enclosure for it. Eventually, the goal will be to add two more 400's, and to replace the 300's with more 400's for a total of just over 3TB of total storage.

However, upon the realization that I intend to use as many drives as the board will allow me - picking out the failing drive amongst a sea of Samsungs is going to be tricky. I've posted the following suggestion in feedback, and I hope that everyone else in the terabyte plus club can join in and vote for it:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=265603

Looking forward to more storage stories.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 2:45 PM
  • Honestly folks wanting to run large arrays should take a look at this.

http://www.addonics.com/products/host_controller/ad5sapm-e.asp

Im still trying to get into the Beta to test out my setup but I dont see any reason it shouldnt work.  Power, Space, Heat are all taken care of using an external Enclosure for your HDDs and it makes for a very clean setup. 

Anyways just thought I would toss that out there.

Thursday, March 29, 2007 5:04 AM
  •  Cuttyshark wrote:

Honestly folks wanting to run large arrays should take a look at this.

http://www.addonics.com/products/host_controller/ad5sapm-e.asp

Im still trying to get into the Beta to test out my setup but I dont see any reason it shouldnt work.  Power, Space, Heat are all taken care of using an external Enclosure for your HDDs and it makes for a very clean setup. 

Anyways just thought I would toss that out there.

I AM using it... :-) That's the port multipliers in my setup.

Thursday, March 29, 2007 3:08 PM
  • Rock on Kapone. LOL..glad someone else is thinking outside the box. (pun intended).
    Friday, March 30, 2007 12:54 AM
  • Since we're talking about servers suitable for manly men (Give me a grunt, somebody!), here's something to make everyone else feel indadequite.  I found it on ZDNet, in a blog from Ed Bott called "Why does Linux hate me?", detailing his problems in getting Linux to run on a motherboard he had laying around.  Turned out the MoB used a SATA controller that wasn't on the hardware compatability list.  In the course of writing about this, one of his readers sent him a link to "the most kick-*ss SATA RAID controller I could find." http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816131003

6-SATAII ports, 120Mb read/write speeds; just the sort of thing a 1.55Tb server needs!

Friday, March 30, 2007 3:45 PM
  • The site you provided for your SATA enclosure seems reluctant to show you a price. Perhaps a comparable choice might be the ICY Dock MB455 5 x SATA I/II Multi Drive Hot-Swap Module. This bad boy fits 5 SATA drives. 2.5 T with 500 Gigers or get closer to 4 T with 5 750s (incidentally a friend of mine is passing the 3T mark with

his Home server(Not WHS) http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=212&products_id=4191

Sunday, April 01, 2007 5:13 AM
  • You guys are all crazy (well, most of you).  I am running WHS on:

AXP 1800+ (1.53ghz)

768MB ram

PCChips miniATX cheap mobo w/onboard sound and onboard NIC 100Mbit

120 GB WD PATA

40 GB WD PATA

250 GB Maxtor PATA

500watt coolmax cheap psu

This is all in an old case...  runs cool though really noisy because of the WD hdd's, they whine while they run, active or not.  They have always done this, it ruins the 92m, and 120mm yate-loon fans I have cooling the case.  No biggie...

Anyway, the file transfers are FREAKING slow for the initial backup (literally 6 hours+ for 120GB) but after that the backups work fine.  This would probably fail as a media streaming box but for pure backup and file sharing it works great.  My main rig currently has more storage (200GB SATA, 500Gb SATA) but it's mostly games :-)  I'll buy a 500Gb or two whenever the offical WHS is released and I get it.

Saturday, April 07, 2007 11:23 PM

• Case is a ATX mid-tower I got from Fry's (outpost.com).  $40 with $40 rebate.  I forget the brand, but it's black and has room for 4 internal 3.5" drives.

I put a power supply I had laying around (350w, most likely) in it.

It has 2 120gb SATA and 2 160gb SATA drives for the shares, plus a 60gb IDE for the boot/data partition.

The mainboard is an ECS KV2 Extreme I used to use before I upgraded to a PCIe based system.  This board has an AMD 64 3200+ with a heatpipe "cooling tower" that has two 92mm fans (three way switch for the speed, both set to low, one blowing over the stack, one sucking over the stack, if that makes any sense).

It has 2gb RAM in it (because I was unable to use the DDR memory in my new DDR2 socket AM2 mainboard).

I don't recall if I ripped the DVD ROM out of it after I installed WHS Beta 2 or not, but I'll be installing the CTP tonight or over the weekend.

The machine has gigabit LAN, but I only have a WRT54G for my network, so it's connected via 100mbit Cat5.  I was considering making it wireless, but haven't committed to this yet.

I have two workstations that back up to it (120gb drives or smaller, nothing major).

Just thought I'd throw my system into the list. Smile
    Thursday, April 19, 2007 4:06 PM
  • My humble setup...

Enclosure Parts 

Case: Chenbro RM215 2U Rackmount Case                                                                    $390.00

Power Supply: Emacs 2U / 3U 700 watt PS                                                                    $205.00

Opical Drive and Floppy: Slim CDRW/DVD Slim Floppy Drive                                   $97.00

UPS: Belkin F6C1000-TW-RK 1000VA 615 watts UPS                                                  $124.99

Switch: Netgear GS116 Gigabit 16 Port Switch w/ Jumbo Frames                               $169.99

Rack: Wallmount 9U Rack                                                                                                    $265.00

Internal Parts

Proc: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+                                                                                           $73.99

Mobo: MSI K9N6PGM-F Socket AM2 Micro ATX Motherboard                                      $66.99

Ram: Kingston (2 x 1GB) ECC Unbuffered DDR2 667 Server Memory                          $127.99

Raid Controller: PROMISE SuperTrak EX8350 PCI-X SATA II x8                                 $412.99

Raid Battery Backup: Promise Technology Battery Backup Module for SuperTrak EX8350    $119.99

OS HDD: Hitachi Deskstar 80GB SATA II Hard Drive                                                        $43.99

Raid HDD: Hitachi Deskstar T7K500 500GB 16MB Cashe SATA II Hard Drive X8      $1,119.92

Total Cost w/ Shipping:        $3350.60

and yes...i am aware i purchased a telco rack.....sometimes we all make mistakes....
    Monday, May 28, 2007 10:21 PM
  • I am running my Home Server on the following:

Mobo: 

Albatron KX400 - 8XV

CPU: 

AMD Athlon XP 2400+ @ 2.0 Ghz,

RAM: 

512 MB DDR StarRAM

Video:

nVidia GeForce 2 MX 400

Hard Drives: 

1x Samsung 80 Gig 7200 RPM IDE

1x Seagate 80 Gig Barracuda 7200 RPM IDE

Optical Drive:

NEC DVD Burner

Case:

All thrown into a crappy case I tripped over at the tip!

I got the all the hardware for free because a client didn't pay for a DVD burner & repair job.

In the next couple of months I plan on constricting a system that will basically consist of products that will allow for

low power consumption (for prolonged periods of a UPS incase of extended blackouts), low noise,

sufficiant cooling abillities, maximum data throughput (network) & a case small enough to go unnoticed,

but still allow room for storage expansion.

From what I've been reading on these forums, I have a fair idea of what hardware I'm leaning towards.

I'll let you know when I order the parts what I have decided on.

If anyone is in Melbourne, Australia, and would like to dabble in case construction, PM me as I have limited

tools but alot of ideas.

Thorn

Sunday, June 03, 2007 3:06 PM
  • I am currently running mine on:

IBM eServer iSeries 235

Xeon 2.4G Dual Processor (Option for 2nd Xeon Dual available)

Dual Power Supplies (Redunudant)

512M Ram

3 - 18.7G 10KRPM SCSI Drives Raid-5 (Reports as 33.8G)

1 - DVD writer

1 - CD/RW

1 - SCSI Tape Backup

1 - SCSI Raid Controller (IBM ServeRaid Controller UltraWide Dual Channel)

1 - SmartUPS 1000 (Rackmount)

The house has currently 8 computers and 1 DVR (Computer based)

Sunday, June 03, 2007 7:58 PM
  • this should make for a good laugh for all:

"shelf pull" biostar MB

Athlon XP 1800+

1.5 GB ddr (PC2700)

2x120 Samsung IDE

1x 80 GB WD

3x 120gb USB 2.0  generic enclosures

16MB ATI video card.

built this with junk i was about to throw away prior to WHS.

this system has worked problem free for 2-3 months.

figure it's a waste to upgrade now, but cannot wait till release!!!   then gonna drop mad cash!!!

Monday, June 04, 2007 4:03 PM
  • Hi everyone...

Once WHS is officially done and released to the public, I'll probably convert my main computer over to WHS (gives me an excuse to go buy new computer components!).

Specs (and yes, probably a lot of overkill for WHS):

• Lian-Li PC-70 full-tower server case -- 15 drive bays (6 5.25" and 9 3.5")
    • Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard (8 SATA connectors total)
    • AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester CPU
    • Antec TruePower 2.0 TP2-550 EPS12V ATX12V 550W Power Supply
    • 4GB Corsair ValueSelect  RAM (yes, that extra 1GB will be wasted, as it won't be used by WHS)
    • Chaintech Geforce SE6200/128MB PCI-Express x16
    • Seagate 7200.10 320GB and a WD 320GB SATA hard drives
    • Pioneer DVD-A09 DVD-R/RW

I'll pick up some more hard drives at that time. Right now, you can pick up a 500GB Samsung hard drive for around $119, but prices should drop a bit more by that time. Wondering what the Seagate 750GB will be priced at by that point!

Wednesday, June 06, 2007 10:36 PM
  • I Have a few rigs this is going to be my server. I just downloaded the RC tonight.  I am running Win Server 2003 EE on it now but am going to wipe it for WHS

My WHS Server

·          CPU /  AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 2.0GHz Socket 939

·          MOBO /  DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI

·          RAM /  2 Gigs Corsair TwinX1024 PC4000-Pro (DDR500)

·          Video /  ? Cheep PCI card I had laying around 32MB Ram

·          HDD /  Maxtor 200 SATA

·          PSU /  Thermaltake True Power 500

My Main Rig

·          CPU /  Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775

·          ZALMAN CNPS 9700 NT 110mm 2 Ball Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler

·          MOBO /  ASUS P5NT WS Socket T (LGA 775) NVIDIA nForce Dual PCI-E x 16 ATX Server Motherboard

·          RAM /   CORSAIR Dominator 2GB DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) TWIN2X2048-8500C5D

·          Video /  EVGA 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SUPERCLOCKED

·          HDD / 

·          Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150

·          3 x Maxtor 250 SATA

·          Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb

·          PSU /  APEVIA 600W

·          Case /  Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower

Plus a few more but I am sure you don’t want to be here all night

Update I Just added Verizon's FIOS 20/5 Fiber Baby!!!!

Thursday, June 14, 2007 2:51 PM
  • <I>Update I Just added Verizon's FIOS 20/5 Fiber Baby!!!!</i>

You lucky dog!  Wish I could get that, but I'm stuck in "Oh, you want DSL with no phone?  That'll be an *extra* $24.95 "fee"" AT&T land.  (As a side note, $24.95 is exactly what a phone line, after taxes, would cost me.  Some fee, eh?)

Must be nice to have SO MUCH MONEY that you can afford to drive your customers right into the open arms of the cable company (who, incidentally, just started their phone service (that I still don't need)).

If I had the money, I'd get a phone from the cable company just to spite AT&T.  Probably would even call them on a nearly daily basis "to see if they had any DSL deals..."...

Friday, June 15, 2007 6:48 PM
  • My WHS Server

·          CPU /  AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (65w) x2 2.0GHz Socket AM2

·          MOBO /  ASUS M2A-VM

·          RAM /  512m Corsair ddr2

·          Video /  ATI Integrated x1250

·          HDDs /  3 Seagate ST3400633as  (400g) SATA 3.0 WHS reports 1.09 Tb

·          PSU /  Enermax

·          CASE / Cooler Master Centurion 534

4 - 3.5 bays

1 - 3.5 external bay

5 - 5.25 external bays

·          PSU /  ENERMAX Noisetaker II EG495P-VE ATX12V 485W

We had 3 computers rip 22gig of music simultaneously to it yesterday and it performed flawlessly. 80 more gig to go :-(

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 1:06 AM
  • My Setup

CPU- Pentium D 2.8ghz

Motherboard- ASUS P5B

RAM- Kingston 11gb 667mhz DDR2

Video- Pcie 256mb shared

HDD- 2x ATA 300mb Maxtors (taken from my previous Netgear SC101)

1x SATA 2 210mb Maxtor

1x SATA2 180mb WD

PSU's  1x 550w, 1x 500w

Case (The good bit)

Coolermaster Stacker STC-T01 with:

12 hard drive bays (4 used currently)

1x DVD re-writer

7 case fans

Its surprisingly quiet but bought for the upgradeability options. Motherboard will handle 6 SATA's and will look at adding a controller card after that. Case is setup with 2 power supplies again primarily for upgradebility.

Monstrous is its size, but fits nicely under a counter and taps into the home gigabit/powerline combined network.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 3:58 PM
  • I have decided to build a new machine for my WHS. So this is what is on its way...please let me know what you think.

Case
    • SILVERSTONE SST-SG01-B Black Aluminum MicroATX Desktop Computer Case (@NewEgg.com)
    • Small Form Factor case, with 2 - 5.25" & 2 - int. 3.5". One of the 5.25" will have the DVD-ROM drive, I figure the other could be converted to hold a third HDD. Additional storage could be added via eSATA.
    Motherboard
    • GIGABYTE GA-G33M-DS2R LGA 775 Intel G33 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard (@NewEgg.com)
    • Includes onboard video, audio and 10/100/1000, 6 - sata2, 12 - USB2
    Processor
    • Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 Conroe 1.86GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor (@NewEgg.com)
    Heatsink
    • SILVERSTONE NT06-LITE CPU Cooler (@NewEgg.com)
    • Probably not needed, but it is pretty much made for this case, so I got it.
    Power Supply
    • ENERMAX Liberty ELT400AWT ATX12V 400W Power Supply 90V~265V (Auto Adjusted) UL, cUL, TUV, CB (@NewEgg.com)
    • Modular plugs, which should help fit everything in the SFF case.
    Memory
    • CORSAIR XMS2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory (@NewEgg.com)
    • Left room for 2 more 512 sticks if needed
    Hard Drive
    • SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (@NewEgg.com)
    • Plan on getting a 2nd one of these in the near future.
    DVD-ROM
    • SONY Black 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1615/B2s (@NewEgg.com)
    I ended up going over what I wanted to spend (approx. $500), and it ended up running around $770 (with shipping). Originally I was going to go AMD (which would have kept me around my $500 goal), but I've had bad luck in the past with AMD and couldn't bring myself to do it...so I spent more money. The build is probably overkill. The case was also on the high side, but as soon as I saw it I wanted it.

So hopefully this will be a good build for WHS. I'll hopefully be able to report back early next week, when everything arrives.
    Thursday, June 28, 2007 9:19 PM
  • Coolermaster Stacker

2 X 550 Watt PSU's

Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3P

Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 Conroe

2gb Kingston DDRII 667

128mb Gigabyte X600 XT

1 X 400gb Seagate Primary Drive (SATA)

3 X 320gb Seagate (SATA)

2 X 320gb WD (SATA)

1 X 300gb WD (PATA)

8 X 200gb WD (on 2 X PCI ATA Controller cards - had to install XP drivers and then Windows update detected WHL 2003 drivers)

3.9TB unformatted

Another 320gb Seagate to go in when I can find a place to mount the drive - I've already removed the Optical Drive to fit the 15th HD in  I have 2 SATA and 1 PATA port left.

Running Fedora Core 6 in Virtual Server 2005 on WHS for web and e-mail servers.

Will be backing up 6 PC's:

Vista Home Premium (800gb)

MCE2005 (200gb)

2 XP Pro (Total 480gb)

2 XP Home (280gb)

File sharing currently 2.5TB

Server sits under the stairs in an enclosed room with ventilation, serving through Gigabit network, with UPS

WHS really needs good power management on the hard drives. I used to be able put the drives to sleep in Fedora when it was the main OS - power consumption dropped right off - down side was a 5sec delay in waking up, but this was not a real problem with file sharing and backups. With Server 2003 if I tried to put them to sleep the system would BSOD when any access to the slumbering drives was attempted)

Cheers

Saturday, June 30, 2007 12:12 PM
  • Hi TLG Jaymz

I've also got a P5WD2 motherboard in my Media Center. I have 5 disks, 4 of which connect through PCI cards.

The main system disc however connects through the motherboard. In the WHS console all disks are marked as SATA except the system disk which is marked as IDE. I think that this will be slowing the machine down a lot as this is the main disk that everything gets copied to isn't it?

Anyway, I assume that it is possible to get these discs set up so that they are all SATA. Can you give me any advice on setting this up in the BIOS? I had a look but couldn't see anything obvious.

Thanks

Giles.

Saturday, September 01, 2007 7:25 PM
  • First I was thinking of re-using my old Pentium 4 3.0 GHz, Ram and P4C-E Deluxe main board but after carefull consideration I decided to build a complete new server from scratch. To keep the cost down I want to use the onboard SATA connectors first and later when more storage is required use a Promise 8 port SATA controller (No Raid).

Chenbro 2U RM21508B w/ 8x Hotswap, FSP 650W Single PSU
    3 x WD 750GB SATA2 7,200rpm 16MB
    Corsair 2GB DDR2-667 non-ECC RAM
    Xeon 3210 2.13Ghz 2x4MB/1066FSB Processor (Quad)
    Asus P5M2 LGA775 Server Board (S3000 chipset)

In total I will have 2.25 TB of storage and room for an additional 5 drives. My dvd, music, photo and home video will be stored on the server. I just placed the order and cannot wait until it arrives.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 12:00 PM
  •  chainsaw667 wrote:

My meager system
    MSI KM2ML
    AMD 2200+
    512 MB DDR
    WHS installed to WD400BB
    WD2500JB added as more storage
    WD800JB added as more storage
    3x WD800JB external

save the 250GB just some spare parts I had around
    works amazing thus far

Finally someone after my own heart.  I've had to buy two drives so far and I'll need more.  I have a huge wish list, but the WHS software itself is the first priority.  I've no idea when my beta will expire.  My 'official' beta 2 package says 365 days from first install.

Sunday, October 07, 2007 10:08 PM
  •  M1A1D wrote:

Only thing that bugs me is that WHS does NOT seem to support onboard audio for the current board, and doesn't accept the drivers from my Creative Audigy 2.  Anybody else notice that?

My ECS L4VXA2 REV 1.0 A mobo's AC'97 on board audio seems to be fully supported.  I can't recall if I installed drivers on my own at first, but it works.

Monday, October 08, 2007 12:37 AM
  •  Cuttyshark wrote:
    Rock on Kapone. LOL..glad someone else is thinking outside the box. (pun intended).

My intent is keep everything inside 1 box, saving of course monitor, keyboard and mouse.  I wish there were a wireless monitor.

Monday, October 08, 2007 12:51 AM
  • With the exception of 2 hard drives, I built my WHS using discards;.  I have an extremely limited discretionary budget.  When I first saw this thread I was ashamed to post about in this thread, but what the heck; some should get a good laugh.

My WHS:

Mobo: ECS L4VXA2 REV 1.0 A (BIOS Version is 1.1e, newest from ECS site)

CPU:      2 GHz P4

RAM:  1 GB PC2600 DDR

HDD Controller: SIIG S4v010028917 which WHS sees as CMD PCI-0649 Ultra DMA IDE controller.  It is working, I’m not going to try to fix it.

HDDs:
    2 Seagate 320 GB HDD ST320620A (both on Mobo IDE 1)
    Western Digital 40 GB HDD WDC WD400BB-32CL0 (on
    HDD Controller channel 1)
    Western Digital 40 GB HDD WDC WD400JB-00ENA0 (on HDD Controller channel 1)

Optical Drives:
    Pioneer CDD DVD-ROM DVD-106 (on Mobo IDE 2)
    Philips CDD4851 CD-R/RW (on Mobo IDE 2)(I’m not sure why I put it in, it was there.  I figure it is better to have it and to want it than want it and not have it.)

Video: nVidia GeForce FX 5200 256 MB Display adapter.

NIC:   onboard NIC VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter.

Sound: onboard Vinyl AC’97

CASE:    The case is no great shakes.  It has 4 exposed 5 ¼ 2 exposed 3 ½ and 2 internal 3 ½ inch bays.  Two of the 4 HDDs are mounted in the 5 ¼ bays and one of those is pretty much unsupported (only mounted on 1 edge).  There is 1 rear panel fan.  The hot spot it where the WD drives are mounted; they are running 120° F.  Clearly I need a new case.  I’ll be looking for something with low velocity high volume fans, 6-8 internal 3 ½ inch bays (with their own cooling).

Power Supply: No markings I can see, I’ll replace it with an Antec 80 plus power supply with PF correction.

Monday, October 08, 2007 2:18 AM
  • Hi M,

Thanks for sharing.

We've got a similar setup started long before WHS but would still like to 'bleed your brain'.

When we originally got the KV2 Photon Extreme (flashy box) MB, the spec suggested strongly that it would mount 4 SATA drives in RAID especially for SERVER performance AND security. ie It boasted RAID 0,1 AND 0+1 configurations and 4 SATA interfaces.

Bought 4 300GB matching drives only to discover that there are two totally different chipsets in charge of the RAID(s) in 2 PAIRS. Both chipsets do RAID 0 and 1, only one chipset does 1+0 (or is it 0+1?)

With all the experience you have of this MB, have you found any acceptable way to run the 4 SATA drives in 1 RAID array to give both security and speed attributes?

The crazy way ECS reveal (after purchase!) you configure it is to RAID 2 SATA drives with 2 PATA drives on 1 of the 2 chipsets!!!!

How can that ever be good practice?

The handbook requires some "translation", but if you can help in any way we would be very grateful.

I have invested too much of the family budget over months on this project already and it has never worked as intended.

Failing this, do you know of a suitable avatar with egg dripping off face?

Best Regards,

The Emernins

Play Up Pompey!

UK South Coast

Friday, October 12, 2007 12:31 AM
  • Hi,

Here is my setup, built to save power. I know that I can do more to save power, but this is fine for me. You can see some pictures here...

(http://forum.hardware.fr/hfr/Hardware/Boitiers-alims/blockbuster-unique-storm-sujet_792110_1.htm)

1 A+ Blockbuster Storm case

1 Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R
    1 Intel Core 2 Duo E2140
    1 Cooler Master Vortax 752 (Intel PWM)
    1 Corsair 2x1Go XMS2 PC6400 CAS4  
    1 Seasonic M12-500 (in order to put all the cables in the box ! lol)
    1 SAMSUNG P80 80Go (primary drive)
    2 SAMSUNG T166 500Go (2 secondary drives)
    1 Graveur DVD NEC

which brings me to 1,06 To... Enough for me at the moment.

Just installed WHS and still working on its setting. Then, I will remove the screen, the keyboard ansd the mouse... and forget it (hope so !).

Bye.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 4:48 PM