Changed Op System from Vista to XP RRS feed

• Question

• Have an E-Machine that came with Vista installed and product key was authenticated as valid that my daughter used for a year. Daughter needed a better computer for school and passed this old one to my wife. But she didn't like Vista so bought Windows XP Professional and reformatted the computer and loaded XP. Works but will not authenticate Windows with the previous product key. What can I do, otherwise I have to keep reinstalling Windows on this machine every 4 weeks.
    Sunday, August 8, 2010 3:25 AM

Answers

• "Demps0" wrote in message news:16b01f40-a715-4971-8add-b1ad9d3f71a1...
    Have an E-Machine that came with Vista installed and product key was authenticated as valid that my daughter used for a year. Daughter needed a better computer for school and passed this old one to my wife. But she didn't like Vista so bought Windows XP Professional and reformatted the computer and loaded XP. Works but will not authenticate Windows with the previous product key. What can I do, otherwise I have to keep reinstalling Windows on this machine every 4 weeks.

You need to use the Key that came with the XP disks - not the one that came with Vista. Each version of Windows has its own keyset, and if you use the wrong one it won't work.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, August 10, 2010 10:11 PM
    Sunday, August 8, 2010 8:32 AM