Client system restore to new HDD will not boot RRS feed

• Question

• On a Win7X64 Client PC I needed to upgrade the C: (System Drive) as it was getting full. So I replaced the existing OCZ 60gb SSD with a 120gb version of the same drive and started the recovery process. Before the restore could start I used Disk Mgr to format the disk and then proceeded to restore the drive from the Server. Upon completion the drive would not boot due "NTLDR" not being present. So I repeated the restore process and this time it would not boot due to "BootMgr" missing. All attempts using the Win7 Recovery and Bootrec/Buildbcd  tools were claimed to have been succesful but the PC refused to boot. One more go at restoring from the server produced exactly the same result so I resorted to cloning my new drive from the old one and everything worked first time. What's more it only took 12 minutes compared to the 4 hours I wasted previously.

I have done several system restore restores like the one I attempted here with the previous version of WHS and never had a problem so I am wondering if I missed a vital step in the process or if this is a common error/issue. Any commnets/thoughts much appreciated.

Friday, October 14, 2011 10:10 AM

Answers

• Ken, I take your point with regard to the system partition but when I came to select the drive for restoration, it listed the 3 drives on the PC (C,D & E) but that was all. I assumed that C: on which the system reserved partition was would be copied over including the 100mb SR partition. Should I have seen the SR partition as an option to restore in addition to the C: drive? I have checked the backup config for the drive on the server ( I removed the PC entirely from the server after the problems and reconnected it) and I have the SP partition as well as the C: drive listed in the backups so hopefully the problem won't reoccur.
    • Marked as answer by corkyboy Monday, October 17, 2011 9:47 AM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 4:06 PM

All replies

• Like loading the appropriate driver for the new disk (durring restore).
    Friday, October 14, 2011 12:23 PM
  • Did you set the partition to "Active"? I assume when you say you used disk manager to format the disk, that was in WHS recovery? Alternatively you could try booting from your W7 install disk and running a "Repair" which should put back the missing boot files.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, October 14, 2011 1:27 PM
  • Assuming the original installation on the client was a fresh installation on an uninitialized drive, the boot loader is in the 100 MB "System Reserved" partition. You should restore that partition at the same time as the other partition on the disk.

Alternatively you can use the Windows recovery tools (available on the Windows 7 installation disk) to fix your issue, as Phil has suggested. This will put the boot loader on the C: partition.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 14, 2011 1:35 PM
  • In reply to Phil and Ken as follows:

Phil, I set the new partition to "active" and used disk manager on the recovery CD. As mentioned in my OP I used the Win7 installation disk Recovery Tools and despite them claiming to have solved the problem, they did not.

Ken, The original installation was a fresh installation as you describe. When I came to restore the drive I selected Drive C: from the server backups as the drive to restore and I assume/d that it would have copied everything over including the 100mb system reserved partition, but I have a sneaky feeling it did not

Friday, October 14, 2011 2:01 PM
  • Ken, The original installation was a fresh installation as you describe. When I came to restore the drive I selected Drive C: from the server backups as the drive to restore and I assume/d that it would have copied everything over including the 100mb system reserved partition, but I have a sneaky feeling it did not

Computers are very literal, so in this case Windows Home Server did exactly what you told it to do. :)

While "the right thing" in this case might have been to include the system reserved partition in the restore, Windows Home Server doesn't actually back up disks, per se (the default backup makes it look that way, because it's "everything"), it backs up blocks of data from files, and stores those blocks of data in a database, and you choose partitions to restore (or not) as you please. You could have had a legitimate reason for not restoring the system reserved partition; perhaps you were planning to get rid of it. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 14, 2011 3:26 PM
  • Ken, I take your point with regard to the system partition but when I came to select the drive for restoration, it listed the 3 drives on the PC (C,D & E) but that was all. I assumed that C: on which the system reserved partition was would be copied over including the 100mb SR partition. Should I have seen the SR partition as an option to restore in addition to the C: drive? I have checked the backup config for the drive on the server ( I removed the PC entirely from the server after the problems and reconnected it) and I have the SP partition as well as the C: drive listed in the backups so hopefully the problem won't reoccur.
    • Marked as answer by corkyboy Monday, October 17, 2011 9:47 AM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 4:06 PM