MS Access on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I have an HP WHS system and I'd like to run MS Access on it--with four users accessing the database.  Is this possible?  Where should I put the Access back end file?
    Thanks.
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 10:01 PM

Answers

• I have an HP WHS system and I'd like to run MS Access on it--with four users accessing the database.  Is this possible?  Where should I put the Access back end file?
    Thanks.
    Installing Access (or any other app) on WHS is unsupported.  (In addition, if you are thinking that you would have all of the users logon to the server desktop, that is also unsupported and not a good idea due to the apps that are part of the underlying OS that can break WHS, not to mention the licensing violation if you had multiple users using Access from the server at the same time).

What you can do though is store the db in one of the shares and allow users access to that file from the clients (each with their own Access license).  Just note that if a file is left open for 24 straight hours, WHS will send out a File Conflict error message (because the file can't be checked during the hourly passes while it's open).
    Friday, January 22, 2010 1:10 AM
  • A shared folder, which is not duplicated, should not be a problem as storage location for the database file, as long as your network is OK.
    You could set up a script to copy the files each night to another share for backup.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, January 22, 2010 4:06 PM

All replies

Thanks.
    Installing Access (or any other app) on WHS is unsupported.  (In addition, if you are thinking that you would have all of the users logon to the server desktop, that is also unsupported and not a good idea due to the apps that are part of the underlying OS that can break WHS, not to mention the licensing violation if you had multiple users using Access from the server at the same time).

What you can do though is store the db in one of the shares and allow users access to that file from the clients (each with their own Access license).  Just note that if a file is left open for 24 straight hours, WHS will send out a File Conflict error message (because the file can't be checked during the hourly passes while it's open).
    Friday, January 22, 2010 1:10 AM
  • A shared folder, which is not duplicated, should not be a problem as storage location for the database file, as long as your network is OK.
    You could set up a script to copy the files each night to another share for backup.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, January 22, 2010 4:06 PM