CPU Running warm health alert RRS feed

• Question

• I had this problem over a year ago, and I know there was a post on how to resolve it or ignore the error.

But Last week I started getting the Health Alert warning that my CPU is running warm. Now, I cannot find the thread or solution to resolve the warning.

I am hoping someone here will point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Jay

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 11:41 PM

All replies

• Hi Jay,

Is this a homebrew machine or an OEM Unit like the MediaSmart Servers?  Did you fit the CPU/Heatsink yourself - have you checked to see if the fan on the CPU Heatsink is running?

Cheers,
    Al

--
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 9:46 AM
  • Al,

I have an HP470 with upgraded RAM. I had this unit at least two years and at one time, long ago had the same problem that I believe was solved with PP1 update.

It just started doing this again a few weeks ago.

I thought I remembered seeing someone else having this problem in a forum post that was solved by changing the registry setting to a higher temp threshold, but I had no luck in finding the thread.

My fan is working ok, and I have moved the server to a position closer to a fan that is now running constantly in the direction of the server. So, I think its just that the temp threshold needs to be raised slightly, so as to not constantly be setting off a health alert.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Jay

Sunday, April 25, 2010 10:02 AM
  • Seems strange that the CPU would be overheating now.  Anyway there is an Add-In to do the registy tweaks for you:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2009/09/24/mss-fan-control-add-in-updated/

--
    Sunday, April 25, 2010 3:13 PM
  • If your server is running already a while, you may try to open the box and get a bottle with compressed air to blow out the dust from the CPU cooler. Also the holes in the case itself tend to be blocked by dust over the time.

This can cause really overheat in such a narrow case, so you should take this warning serious.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Proposed as answer by Al West Monday, April 26, 2010 8:40 AM
    Sunday, April 25, 2010 8:35 PM
  • Olaf, I have followed your advice and even though I regularly 'dust' the front of my WHS, I was surprised how much dust had built up on the inside of the rear screens.

Now if I can just get my 3.0 Update to install....

Thanks

Jay

Monday, April 26, 2010 1:26 AM
  • Al, I think two things have happened. I did move the WHS from a lower shelf to a higher shelf, which may not receive the same air flow it was getting before. As well as I 'dusted' the REAR screen which had a surprising amount of dust accumulation.

I am going to install the MSS Add-in anyway (and glad I wasn't just dreaming that it existed) and thanks to ALEX for updating it to work with 3.0 which I am trying to install, but cant because the old "can't locate server" error, but thats for another thread.

Thanks

Jay

HP470 with 2 SansDigital TR4U, for a total of 14.6 TB

Monday, April 26, 2010 1:38 AM
  • Good point about the dust build up.

If you are having trouble with your PC detecting the homeserver try turning off the firewall on the client PC and then connecting directly to the server using a network cable (crossover cables are good too but most newer network adapters setup the link correctly).
    --
    Monday, April 26, 2010 8:40 AM
  • As I don't have a HP Media Smart myself, I don't know exaktly what is in the box. However, I have noticed that on many pre-built systems that the thermal compound on the cpu is not very good. I've lowered the temperature on many CPUs (and GPUs) by removing the CPU cooler, proper cleaning and reinstall using better compound (my personal preference is Artic Cooling MX-3, but also Arctic Silver 5 is usually better than the standard compound). Once the CPU has been running too hot, the original compound might be pretty bad and replacing it is not that bad. However, not sure what will happen with the HP warranty if you do this.

Saturday, May 8, 2010 1:04 PM