none
the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a vb.net desktop application one of my client and only one so far has countered this problem, when he try to start the application he get this massage "the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect"

I search on it and found that C++ related and some others suggested that the application files is incomplete or the app didn't installed correctly.

The thing is that the application was running for more than one month already on this machine and one day the client suddenly got this massage.

so i doubt it a incorrect installation. 

I reinstalled the C++ last time and it worked for 2 weeks then the same problem came back but this time i had to reinstall C++ and the application to get it work.

I need to know now could a virus cause this and what kind of viruses. and if it's not a virus so what else cloud it be?

Thank you.

• Edited by AbanoubZak Monday, May 18, 2020 12:19 PM
    Monday, May 18, 2020 12:17 PM

All replies

• Assuming this is a VB.NET Windows Form project and there have been no changes to the operating system delete the configuration file under Bin\Debug and/or Bin\Release, rebuild and run. Does the problem persist or not ?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Monday, May 18, 2020 1:57 PM
  • The application is on the client machine which doesn’t have a Visual Studio, he only have the project’s output file. The application worked when I delete it and gave him a new output. I just need to know what cause the problem in the first place.
    Monday, May 18, 2020 3:24 PM
  • The application is on the client machine which doesn’t have a Visual Studio, he only have the project’s output file. The application worked when I delete it and gave him a new output. I just need to know what cause the problem in the first place.
    I can say what caused this, never seen this happen before but a guess is there can be more than one reason for this to happen which means it depends and unless I can reproduce this on my machine it becomes a guessing game.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Monday, May 18, 2020 4:21 PM
    You did something wrong

Success
    Cor

Monday, May 18, 2020 9:47 PM
  • The application was working on the client machine fine for one month, and then he called me for this problem.

so if i did something wrong how could it be working for 30 days with no problem.

All i need to know here what could cause this is it a virus that damaged the XML or it's a pure C++ Problem that caused by a virus too.

Something to mention, the client machine has a Bitdefender as an antivirus and it didn't catch any thing but i only install it after the first time the problem happened.

So could it be a virus but the antivirus couldn't catch it?

• Edited by AbanoubZak Tuesday, May 19, 2020 9:59 AM
    Tuesday, May 19, 2020 9:59 AM
  • Hi AbanoubZak,

Do you have similar problems on other computers?

If this kind of problem occurs only on one computer, it may occur in a specific environment.

Some related references:

1. The application has failed to start because the side by side configuration is incorrect Windows 10
    2. Side-by-Side Configuration preventing most programs from running

Best Regards,

Xingyu Zhao

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 21, 2020 6:33 AM
  • Hi AbanoubZak,

Do you have similar problems on other computers?

If this kind of problem occurs only on one computer, it may occur in a specific environment.

Some related references:

1. The application has failed to start because the side by side configuration is incorrect Windows 10
    2. Side-by-Side Configuration preventing most programs from running

Best Regards,

Xingyu Zhao

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Hello thanks for your reply, i might be up to something but not yet unfortunately.

i'm curious about one sentence on the link you shared"The side-by-side configuration error appears when a program you're using causes a conflict with your C++ runtime libraries."

How could my app causing a conflict with C++ runtime libraries? i need to understand more about this.

By the way, the problem only happens with one client only indeed on Windows 10 -32bit.

• Edited by AbanoubZak Thursday, May 21, 2020 11:57 AM
    Thursday, May 21, 2020 10:43 AM
  • Hi AbanoubZak,

>>How could my app causing a conflict with C++ runtime libraries? i need to understand more about this.

In order to get more professional help on this question, you can consider posting in following forum:

Developer Community

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Xingyu Zhao

MSDN Community Support

Friday, May 22, 2020 8:17 AM