Demoting a DC and clean up the meta data RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have setup a lab in my home for practice and tried to demote a DC in my environment through command line , after transferring a Roles which was on the DC to other, i tried below mention command to clean up metadata and remove a Selected DC. 

1 Ntdsutil ,2 ntdsutil:roles,3 Fsmo maintenance: Connection,4 server connection: connect to server dc3.,5: server connection: quit,6: fsmo maintenance: Seize RID Master(Clicked YES),7: fsmo maintenance: Quit, 8 Ntdsutil: Quit

After seizing Roles i tried to clean up metadata, below are the step which i have taken to perform it

1ntdsutil, 2ntdsutil:metadata cleanup,3 metadata cleanup : connection,4 server connections: connect to server dc3,5 server connection : quit, 6 metadata cleanup: select operation target. , 7 select operation target :select domain 0,8 select operation target: select sites 0, select operation target : select server 3 , 9 select operation target : Quit, 10 metadata cleanup: remove selected server

After reaching to the last step no 10. i received a error stating that to clean up the data please put server online.

Could anyone tell me what step did i missed as all the servers where online and roles was seize successfully, also would like to tell you all that once i go to Active directory sites and services and check the servers the default sites connection are lost on DC1,DC2,DC3.

Please let me know the correct method to perform metadata cleanup.

Also let me know what other prerequisite should i take to perform apart from transferring roles and Global Catalog should be there on other DC

Thanks

Atul Srivastava

• Moved by Just Karl Friday, May 9, 2014 6:46 PM Looking for the proper forum.
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 5:59 AM

Answers

All replies