Public Data sync to Home PC RRS feed

• Question

• I have been searching the forum for a while now.  I am also working with the Vail Beta to see if this is possible, but not sure yet.  Here is my issue:

I really appreciate (among everything else WHS does) the ability to a)backup my home PCs and Laptops, and b)Have a shared Public space where data can be accessed by each machine as well as over internet.   However, I believe I need a combination of the two (a and b).  Take for example Photos:  The Public space on WHS is ideal for these to be placed, stored, and shared.  But there are times when I would like to have all the photos on my laptop that I will take with me to visit familyfriends and might not always have internet access.   In this case, I need to be able to a)place photos in the public space, and b)have the synced to my laptop.

Does WHS offer such a solution that doesn't require my manually copying and ensuring update from public space to laptop?

Friday, October 1, 2010 4:13 AM

All replies

• Vail provides no solution "in box" for your situation; it's a client issue, not a server issue.

Some client versions of Windows support "offline files" which will allow you to keep a local copy of data in one or more shares. There are some limitations, and not all versions of Windows support this functionality. You can learn more in the help files for Windows, or on Technet or the Microsoft Answers site.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 1, 2010 12:53 PM