Hard drive questions RRS feed

• Question

•  

Greetings-

I have recently installed WHS on an old desktop.  I would like to replace the hard drive that has the OS on it and was wondering if it is possible to clone it to the new drive with software like norton ghost.  My plan is to turn off the server, remove the drive, clone it to the new drive using my laptop, and put the new cloned drive back in the server.  I would think this would be a lot faster than doing the server reinstallation process with the WHS dvd.  Anybody know if this would work?  Also, what exactly does the D: data partition do?  I used a 500GB drive, the C: System partition only uses 20 GB, leaving 400 + GB of space just sitting there being wasted.  Can files be saved to the D: partition for use, or will this wreck WHS?  Thanks for your time.  Ben 

Sunday, March 30, 2008 1:36 AM

All replies

•  bazop wrote:

Also, what exactly does the D: data partition do?  I used a 500GB drive, the C: System partition only uses 20 GB, leaving 400 + GB of space just sitting there being wasted.  Can files be saved to the D: partition for use, or will this wreck WHS? 

Ben

I think if you do a search on these forums you will find that people have used software to clone their system drive, but obviously its not supported, and personally I think you would be better off just performing a new installation.

As for the partitions and what they do, take a read of the Drive Extender technical brief - this will answer your questions:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/F/C/2FC09C20-587F-4F16-AA33-C6C4C75FB3DD/Windows_Home_Server_Drive_Extender.pdf

Andrew

Sunday, March 30, 2008 7:18 AM