none
Vista invalid activation, no IE access RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Dell Inspiron laptop running Vista Home Premium here that pops up the Windows Activation screen on login. I type in the license key on the sticker on the bottom of the laptop and it gives me the error "Windows Activation Error - A problem occurred when Windows tried to activate - 0x8004FC12". KB and google don't seem to have much on this.

When I try to download MGADiag.exe I get a "IE cannot display webpage". Other websites also do not work (including the default page it tries to pop up). Internet settings > LAN settings look fine, no proxy or anything. The laptop is plugged into my network via ethernet that I know works. I can't get into the connection settings because I'm locked out of everything including safe mode.

I'd like to resolve this without calling Dell if possible, especially since I feel like the problem is merely that the laptop won't connect to the internet and really has nothing to do with any licensing issues.

Monday, February 8, 2010 10:17 PM

Answers

• Hello pantsburgh,

Computers, which are built by large manufactures that come with Windows Pre-Installed, come with two (2) Product Keys:

A) OEM SLP: This key comes pre-installed in Windows, when it comes from the Factory. This key is geared to work with the special instructions found only on that Manufacturer's computer hardware. So when Windows was installed using the OEM SLP key (at the factory) Vista looks at the motherboard and sees the special instructions and Self-Activates. (that's why you did not need to Activate your computer after you brought it home)

B)  COA SLP: This is the Product key that you see on the sticker on the side (or bottom) of your computer. It is a valid product key, but should only be used in limited situations (sush as if the OEM SLP key stops self-activating for whatever reason). The key must be activated by Phone. (Note: All manufacturers that use the OEM SLP system are required by contract to include a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker, that has a COA SLP key, on the computer)

Your Windows is most likely using an OEM SLP key, but (for whatever reason) cannot see the special instructions in the computer’s motherboard and is unable to Self-Activate.
      To fix the issue, you will need to change out the OEM SLP key with the COA SLP key.  The normal way to do this is to click the ‘Start’ button, right-click ‘Computer’, select ‘Properties’ and then click ‘Change Product Key’ (located in the lower right-hand side of the window). Enter the COA SLP key and follow the instructions in the Change Product Key Wizard.

Alternate steps to change the product key

1) Click one of the oprions that opens an Internet Browser
    2) Type: %windir%\system32\ in the browser's address field
    3) Scroll down till you find the file cmd.exe and run it
    4) Type: slui.exe 3 and hit the Enter key
    5) Type in the Product key from the sticker on your computer
    6) Click the Next button.
    7) You will be asked if want to Activate, click ok
    8) It will attempt to Activate by the internet and may return an Invalid Key error (this is ok, continue to step 7)
    9) Return to the CMD window
    10) Type: slui.exe 4 and hit the Enter key
    11) Select your location in the drop down menu and click the Next button
    12) The next screen provides the number to call to Activate by Phone

NOTE: when you call that number, you will first hear an Automated Voice. If the Automated Voice gives you an option to talk to a Live Activation Rep., select that option. If not, do not enter any numbers. This should force the Automated Voice to transfer you to a Live Activation Rep. Trying to Activate thru the Automated Voice will not work, in your case; only thru the Live Activation Rep. will your Activation be successful.

If you still have issues, please create a (no cost) support request at http://support.microsoft.com/gp/contactwga

Thank you,
    Darin MS

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, February 9, 2010 8:31 PM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 8:24 PM

All replies

• Hello pantsburgh,

Computers, which are built by large manufactures that come with Windows Pre-Installed, come with two (2) Product Keys:

A) OEM SLP: This key comes pre-installed in Windows, when it comes from the Factory. This key is geared to work with the special instructions found only on that Manufacturer's computer hardware. So when Windows was installed using the OEM SLP key (at the factory) Vista looks at the motherboard and sees the special instructions and Self-Activates. (that's why you did not need to Activate your computer after you brought it home)

B)  COA SLP: This is the Product key that you see on the sticker on the side (or bottom) of your computer. It is a valid product key, but should only be used in limited situations (sush as if the OEM SLP key stops self-activating for whatever reason). The key must be activated by Phone. (Note: All manufacturers that use the OEM SLP system are required by contract to include a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker, that has a COA SLP key, on the computer)

Your Windows is most likely using an OEM SLP key, but (for whatever reason) cannot see the special instructions in the computer’s motherboard and is unable to Self-Activate.
      To fix the issue, you will need to change out the OEM SLP key with the COA SLP key.  The normal way to do this is to click the ‘Start’ button, right-click ‘Computer’, select ‘Properties’ and then click ‘Change Product Key’ (located in the lower right-hand side of the window). Enter the COA SLP key and follow the instructions in the Change Product Key Wizard.

Alternate steps to change the product key

1) Click one of the oprions that opens an Internet Browser
    2) Type: %windir%\system32\ in the browser's address field
    3) Scroll down till you find the file cmd.exe and run it
    4) Type: slui.exe 3 and hit the Enter key
    5) Type in the Product key from the sticker on your computer
    6) Click the Next button.
    7) You will be asked if want to Activate, click ok
    8) It will attempt to Activate by the internet and may return an Invalid Key error (this is ok, continue to step 7)
    9) Return to the CMD window
    10) Type: slui.exe 4 and hit the Enter key
    11) Select your location in the drop down menu and click the Next button
    12) The next screen provides the number to call to Activate by Phone

NOTE: when you call that number, you will first hear an Automated Voice. If the Automated Voice gives you an option to talk to a Live Activation Rep., select that option. If not, do not enter any numbers. This should force the Automated Voice to transfer you to a Live Activation Rep. Trying to Activate thru the Automated Voice will not work, in your case; only thru the Live Activation Rep. will your Activation be successful.

If you still have issues, please create a (no cost) support request at http://support.microsoft.com/gp/contactwga

Thank you,
    Darin MS

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, February 9, 2010 8:31 PM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 8:24 PM
  • I was able to activate by phone and, upon getting into windows, found tons of services errors which were causing internet connectivity issues as well as tons of other issues. Rather than try to figure out what happened, I just ran a system restore from a point back a week and it was golden. Thanks for the help!
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 4:21 PM