none
What is going on with the Forums?

General discussion

•  

What is going on?  I have a question. I enter it into my search engine. I see that someone has already asked my question!!!  I click on the link. I see the big check mark listing it as answered!!!!!  I read the answer, and discover that it has not been answered. Some similar question has been answered.  In this case I am citing the following example:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/b8b6fe18-2fa4-4307-a5cd-4e0ef9ed2692/limit-users-from-sending-too-many-emails-exchange-2010?forum=exchange2010

I, like many other professionals, rely on TechNet and many other support forums, and  I do believe it is a great system; however, there are a few necessary fixes: When a user answers a question and someone marks it as an answer, someone else should have the power to unmark it as the answer. 

When someone writes something that is not the answer to a question they should lose twice as many points as they would have gotten for answering the question.  If the original asker restates the question and the “misinformer” cuts and pastes his answer again he should lose 4X the points he would have gotten for answering the question.  

There should be a button that allows anyone to notify someone who has tried to answer a question that their answer may not be the correct, giving them an opportunity to reassess their answer and correct or remove it.  The correction or removal should have the effect of  restoring their points. 

Support forums are terrific!  I believe these tweaks would help clean up a lot of the “noise” that is in the support forums and reduce the time to resolution for many incidents suffered by so many IT professionals who rely on them every day. 

Sorry for jumping on my soapbox, and thank you for your time. 

Saturday, May 28, 2016 6:54 PM

All replies

• Moderators and the originator can mark (unmark) answers. Ultimately it should be up to the originator to decide if a proposed answer is in fact the answer. The originator also can unmark an answer at any time. The user that marked it may have been a moderator back then (2011) Appears the originator has had no activity since this post so they probably just never returned to read it.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, May 30, 2016 2:48 AM