Windows 7 Validation--How do I know? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm trying to validate my windows.  I've clicked on the validate windows button and taken to the page that says "validate windows" and nothing happens.  I've gone to the troubleshooting site and fixed everything, but I still have no idea if I have been validated or not.  How do I know?
    Monday, January 4, 2010 4:24 AM

Answers

• Hi gpzbc,

Ahh, I see the problem. In your situation, Online Validation would have been helpfull since the Internal Checks do not have an updated list of banned Product Keys.  In your case, I do not think reinstalling MSE would do anything since I believe all that MSE does is use Windows 7's own Internal Validation checks to confirm Genuine Status.

I think the only way to confirm that a Product Key is (or isn't) blocked (i.e. banned) would be thru re-activation.  The below steps are usually used to correct a Licensing Store corruption issue.  But what it does is delete Windows 7's Licensing Store and when Windows notices it's missing, it will automaticly re-activate (or ask the user to re-activate) so it can re-create the Licensing Store file.  This is probably the easiest way to get Windows to re-activate which will check the Validity of your Product Key.  

1) Open an Internet Browser
    2) Type: %windir%\system32 into the browser address bar.
    3) Find the file CMD.exe
    4) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select 'Run as Administrator'
    5) Type: net stop sppsvc   (It may ask you if you are sure, select yes)
    Note: the Software Protection servive may not be running, this is ok.
    6) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareProtectionPlatform
    7) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar
    8) Type: cd %windir%\system32
    9) Type: net start sppsvc
    10) Type: slui.exe
    11) After a couple of seconds Windows Activation dialog will appear. You may be asked to re-activate and/or re-enter your product key or Activation may occur automaticly. (If you have any problems activating over the internet, try the Activate by Phone method, instead)

Sorry for the convoluted workaround, but I think it should do what you are looking to do.  While I don't have an ETA, I am told that the Windows 7 Online Validation should come online the first part of this year.

Hope that helps,
    Darin MS 

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, January 6, 2010 7:00 PM
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 7:00 PM

All replies

• I have this same question.
    Monday, January 4, 2010 4:31 AM
  • Hi Kay12345 and gpzbc,

Yes, the Online Validation Checks for Windows 7 are not currently enabled.  Any content that is protected by an Online Validation Check (such as some software on the Microsoft Download site) will detect the OS as Windows 7 and will automatically allow it to pass without a scan.

The real workhorse is Windows 7's Internal Validation Checks, which are functional regardless of the Online Validation being enabled or not.

Thank you,
    Darin MS 
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, January 4, 2010 7:59 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, January 6, 2010 7:00 PM
    Monday, January 4, 2010 7:59 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.

So, you are saying that we are safe as long as we are not receiving an error message?  How often does the Internal Validation check?

Perhaps a good method for verifying validation would be to uninstall something like Microsoft Security Essentials, then download it and reinstall it?

Or maybe another method to verify validation would be to go to the "change product key" option, but re-input the same Windows Product Key?  I assume that would bring up an error if the key is not valid?

I should clarify why I am asking these questions.  I purchased Windows 7 through the Student offer via Digital River.  I had all kinds of problems with their service and they accidentally refunded my purchase and deactivated my Product Key.  After I found out, I called them up and they claim to have reactivated my Product Key.  I don't know if I believe them, so I would like to verify that my product key is valid.  I don't want to receive error messages after the Student Offer expires tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.
    • Edited by gpzbc Tuesday, January 5, 2010 12:30 AM clarification
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 12:24 AM
  • Hi gpzbc,

Ahh, I see the problem. In your situation, Online Validation would have been helpfull since the Internal Checks do not have an updated list of banned Product Keys.  In your case, I do not think reinstalling MSE would do anything since I believe all that MSE does is use Windows 7's own Internal Validation checks to confirm Genuine Status.

I think the only way to confirm that a Product Key is (or isn't) blocked (i.e. banned) would be thru re-activation.  The below steps are usually used to correct a Licensing Store corruption issue.  But what it does is delete Windows 7's Licensing Store and when Windows notices it's missing, it will automaticly re-activate (or ask the user to re-activate) so it can re-create the Licensing Store file.  This is probably the easiest way to get Windows to re-activate which will check the Validity of your Product Key.  

1) Open an Internet Browser
    2) Type: %windir%\system32 into the browser address bar.
    3) Find the file CMD.exe
    4) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select 'Run as Administrator'
    5) Type: net stop sppsvc   (It may ask you if you are sure, select yes)
    Note: the Software Protection servive may not be running, this is ok.
    6) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareProtectionPlatform
    7) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar
    8) Type: cd %windir%\system32
    9) Type: net start sppsvc
    10) Type: slui.exe
    11) After a couple of seconds Windows Activation dialog will appear. You may be asked to re-activate and/or re-enter your product key or Activation may occur automaticly. (If you have any problems activating over the internet, try the Activate by Phone method, instead)

Sorry for the convoluted workaround, but I think it should do what you are looking to do.  While I don't have an ETA, I am told that the Windows 7 Online Validation should come online the first part of this year.

Hope that helps,
    Darin MS 

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, January 6, 2010 7:00 PM
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 7:00 PM
  • Thank you for your response.   I'll keep this handy.  
    Unfortunately the student offer expired yesterday at midnight.   So I'll have to take my chances for now.

By the way, I did try verifying validation by going to the "change product key" option.  When there, I re-input the same Windows Product Key.  It activated it and gave me confirmation that it was valid. 

Fingers crossed, but I might be back.   Thanks for your help.
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 12:15 AM