Still unable to install PP3 RRS feed

• Question

• Yal

I am at the end of my rope here; I had installed PP3 beta and removed it in order to get the real thing; all my clients are Win7 and unable to access the console since PP3 refuses to install; I had uninstalled search 4.0, removed all that I could think would make the install invisible and still whenever I go to Win update I got zero. nada ... only the optional powershell 2.0!!

From resources:

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2361.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2361.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.2361.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.2361.0

The first line says WHS with PowerPack 2 ... that is, PP3 is invisible for me for some weird reasons ...

if anyone knows the registry key to force it to load I would really appreciate it!

AR

Cheers AR
    • Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Wednesday, July 28, 2010 12:31 PM This isn't a hardware issue. (From:Windows Home Server Hardware and Installation)
    Monday, July 26, 2010 7:52 PM

Answers

• More news on the system's status:

1) One of my disks is now being set to detached even though it is there and OK ... attempting to remove the disk from the data cluster

2) Inserted the recovery disk just to find out it does not run at WHS .. tried to run it at my Dell Studio 17 laptop and could not load network drivers for it ... in summa: another fiasco ...

3) Inserted the original WHS disk and boot it from the disk just to discover there is no recovery option (only new install) from options ... yet another fiasco .. documentation says it ought to be there though but it does not show at all

4) Since WHS slit my disk in data and os (500GB splitted ..) attempts to load Vail would force a clean of the whole disk, and not only the partition where the OS is located ... therefore I cannot even load Vail (it would be nice to have a update option when it goes live and I hope to see it there ...)

AR

Cheers AR
    • Marked as answer by ARosenthal Friday, September 3, 2010 6:35 PM
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

this version number looks strange - and indeed - according to mediasmartserver.net it is a Beta version of Power Pack 3.

So you will have to login to your servers desktop, open Control Panel, enable Show Updates in Add/Remove Programs and uninstall this Beta version.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, July 26, 2010 8:18 PM
  • Tks but this is not the case; pp3 beta was totally removed; and I tried to reinstalled it just to get it failing with an "this update does not apply to your system" msg which might indicate the darn thing did not get totally removed!!!!!!!!!! THis is pathetic ...

I renamed the software\Home Server Connector Software to software\Home Server Connector Software OLD and the kickoff started, but it failed again with the same msg;

Had I been able to show the console you would see that the PP is set as 2 as Indicated;

There has to be a registry key that clears this mess!!!! And I am baffle on why on earth I am unable to simply download the damn PP3 and install it without having to rely on winup to do it for me!!!! This is super annoying!

Cheers AR
    Monday, July 26, 2010 9:42 PM
  • "ARosenthal" wrote in message news:513617cd-b8dd-414e-a3f4-fad77560f53e@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Tks but this is not the case; pp3 beta was totally removed; and I tried to reinstalled it just to get it failing with an "this update does not apply to your ?
    system" msg which might indicate the darn thing did not get totally removed!!!!!!!!!!
    THis is pathetic ...

Sorry to spoil the party, but beta software should never be used on production machines in the first place.
    In every beta, information is quite clear about that.
    So it's not about pathetic, but about knowing what the consequenses can be of installing betasoftware on a production machine.
    Installing betasoftware always means being ready for wiping the system and start all over again. If not ready for that, just wait for the RTM/final version.
     >

I renamed the software\Home Server Connector Software to software\Home Server Connector Software OLD and the kickoff started, but it failed again with the same msg;

Had I been able to show the console you would see that the PP is set as 2 as Indicated;

There has to be a registry key that clears this mess!!!! And I am baffle on why on earth I am unable to simply download the damn PP3 and install it without having to rely on winup to do it for me!!!! This is super annoying!

Cheers AR

Have a nice day!
    Monday, July 26, 2010 10:08 PM
  • Tks but this is not the case; pp3 beta was totally removed; and I tried to reinstalled it just to get it failing with an "this update does not apply to your system" msg which might indicate the darn thing did not get totally removed!!!!!!!!!! THis is pathetic ...

Cheers AR

You can try logging into the server desktop and look for C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB968349$ (which is the uninstall for PP3).  It will be a hidden folder.  If it's there, open the folder called spuninst and run spuninst.exe.  If it's not there, you can try uninstalling WHS-specific updates that were before PP3.  I would uninstall them in this order:  KB972421, KB963032, KB956587 (the last one is PP2).  Also, uninstall only one at a time and reboot your server between each one.

As for offering a downloadable PP3-only package, my guess is MS doesn't do that because there is no supported way to install it.

Monday, July 26, 2010 10:29 PM
  • You have just wasted a good chance to be quiet. Plz do not patronize people as we all knew why PP3 came along so spare me of the lectures ok.

Now, as an ex MS with 11 years I can vouch to say this is mega pathetic, not only PP3 ought to be made public download but also make sure we are not screwed up when trying to uninstall it. I would not qualify a test drive of ofx16 as the same as PP3 and I am sad you do not see the huge difference in audiences.

Cheers AR
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 12:09 AM
  • I do not have access to 349 anymore since I uninstalled it to begin with! Therefore it got canned out of my system.

The WHS-KB968349-v1-x86-ENU is runnable so it would be a matter of choice to let us run it at will and not been force to rely on a series of events that would perhaps allow PP3 to load.

I will try your method above and if all fails install Vail instead ... I just hope the backup db is backward compatible with WHS!

I even renamed the hive at HKLM\...349 and even that did not work. I then looked at windows\uninstall\kb..349 to see if that registry key was there and it was not, a clear indication that some step of spuninst.exe's folder called for the removal of the key ...

Now imagine, I kept the original beta 1 of PP3 just in case I needed it to correct some install defect ... amusing hmm?

Cheers AR
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 12:16 AM
  • I do not have access to 349 anymore since I uninstalled it to begin with! Therefore it got canned out of my system.

The WHS-KB968349-v1-x86-ENU is runnable so it would be a matter of choice to let us run it at will and not been force to rely on a series of events that would perhaps allow PP3 to load.

I will try your method above and if all fails install Vail instead ... I just hope the backup db is backward compatible with WHS! 

No, it's not.

I even renamed the hive at HKLM\...349 and even that did not work. I then looked at windows\uninstall\kb..349 to see if that registry key was there and it was not, a clear indication that some step of spuninst.exe's folder called for the removal of the key ...

Now imagine, I kept the original beta 1 of PP3 just in case I needed it to correct some install defect ... amusing hmm?

Cheers AR

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 3:37 AM
  • If Desktop Search 4 is listed as being installed, uninstall it and PP3 might be re-offered from WU.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Tks but this is not the case; pp3 beta was totally removed; and I tried to reinstalled it just to get it failing with an "this update does not apply to your system" msg which might indicate the darn thing did not get totally removed!!!!!!!!!! THis is pathetic ...

Cheers AR

You can try logging into the server desktop and look for C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB968349$ (which is the uninstall for PP3).  It will be a hidden folder.  If it's there, open the folder called spuninst and run spuninst.exe.  If it's not there, you can try uninstalling WHS-specific updates that were before PP3.  I would uninstall them in this order:  KB972421, KB963032, KB956587 (the last one is PP2).  Also, uninstall only one at a time and reboot your server between each one.

As for offering a downloadable PP3-only package, my guess is MS doesn't do that because there is no supported way to install it.

BullDawg
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 4:32 AM
  • DS4 is not installed! THat is the mistery here ... it seems that the versions of the DLLs are on PP3 beta 1 even though I uninstalled it, I search also the KBs above and PP2 cannot be uninstalled once it is in leaving me on a limbo ...

If there were a way to show a pic you would see my cp and console for yourself .. super annoying indeed ...

I am fixing to call into premier support and log an incident based on my MCT status and see what happens ...

Cheers AR
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 4:30 PM
  • May be the fastest way to recover from this situation is to perform a server reinstall.

If you can still find the file which you used to install that PP Beta you can try to setup WHS on a virtual system with at least PP2 installed, install that package there and copy the uninstall folder for the package from C:\Windows on that server to your problem server and run spuninst.exe there again.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 9:42 PM
  • If anyone has the directory for uninstall of pp3 beta and would like to zip it up to help me I would really appreciate it .. .do ping me if so ok!
    Cheers AR
    Monday, August 16, 2010 8:44 PM
  • The answer is really to go through a server reinstallation (or recovery, depending on the age of your media).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, August 16, 2010 11:40 PM
  • The answer is really to go through a server reinstallation (or recovery, depending on the age of your media).

Sorry not an answer, this is a drastic recovery from a silly error that was caused by mismanagement of the PP3 install. This is the same as me saying to a user of WS03 server to reinstall Windows because a service pack, deemed necessary for Win7 to intercommunicate, also screwed up the whole server as consequence.

THe correct approach would be to allow us to download PP3 and install it just like we did on the beta program rather than forcing the injection via WinUp. Nothing besides that is an answer, just paleative approaches to hide the problem.

AR

Cheers AR
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 1:50 PM
  • To be honest, the "correct approach" is not to install beta code on production machines in the first place. (While I install most Windows Home Server betas, I keep them far from my production server.) I've seen beta service packs hose up servers badly enough that the only recovery option was to completely flatten the server (or restore it from a backup). So yes, server recovery seems like a reasonable response to a problem removing a beta version of a Windows Home Server power pack. It's certainly less invasive overall, since it will preserve your data and backup database.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 4:46 PM
  • To be honest, the "correct approach" is not to install beta code on production machines in the first place. (While I install most Windows Home Server betas, I keep them far from my production server.) I've seen beta service packs hose up servers badly enough that the only recovery option was to completely flatten the server (or restore it from a backup). So yes, server recovery seems like a reasonable response to a problem removing a beta version of a Windows Home Server power pack. It's certainly less invasive overall, since it will preserve your data and backup database.

Ken, please ... there is a HUGE difference between a beta that is optional and a PP that is imperative for your win7 landscape to operate with WHS. I hope you see the difference. I am not complaining about the beta, which should have been removed (as shown by the versions above.) I AM complaining about the ridiculous idea NOT to enable power users to deploy PP3 by hand when we see fit; therefore the correct approach is indeed to enable a power user to deploy PP3 by hand rather than tied it up to Winup only.

I am going to run a clean boot without any win updates and with knocked down services to force the reinjecting of updates. That is my last recouse to fix this insanity caused by desktop search's insisting in leaving footprint buried inside my system (it was uninstalled but alas, PP3 still does not show as update at Winup ... )

AR

Cheers AR
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 4:55 PM
  • Look at the registry and found traces of 175 lingering around; worse, the directory for desktop search is still there and the dlls are being used, though the product was removed from registry and eviscerated from control panel (add/remove)

now desktop search 4.0 is loaded somehow, but the registry does not ack its existence (the directory is there!!!)

forced the remove of PP2 and found traces of PP3 still at the registry .. removed all keys associated with these and am now reverting the DLLs into PP1 in hopes to force PP2 to inject and clear the issue.

More to come ..

Cheers AR
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 7:52 PM
  • More news on the system's status:

1) One of my disks is now being set to detached even though it is there and OK ... attempting to remove the disk from the data cluster

2) Inserted the recovery disk just to find out it does not run at WHS .. tried to run it at my Dell Studio 17 laptop and could not load network drivers for it ... in summa: another fiasco ...

3) Inserted the original WHS disk and boot it from the disk just to discover there is no recovery option (only new install) from options ... yet another fiasco .. documentation says it ought to be there though but it does not show at all

4) Since WHS slit my disk in data and os (500GB splitted ..) attempts to load Vail would force a clean of the whole disk, and not only the partition where the OS is located ... therefore I cannot even load Vail (it would be nice to have a update option when it goes live and I hope to see it there ...)

AR

Cheers AR
    • Marked as answer by ARosenthal Friday, September 3, 2010 6:35 PM
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:52 PM